• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skin Tones - feedback requested

https://vimeo.com/137969218
    password: skintones

A while back, I stumbled into a really striking image:

Since then I've been wanting to embrace the hue of blue as the diffused reflection of a blue sky on dark skin.
    My setup for the above interview was inside by a window with a bright blue sky. I do feel like I'm sort of stepping into a strange area when it comes to skin tones. Should people be blue? Is that supposed to be weird? Or, is it natural and something most people wouldn't even notice? Please tell me your initial impression.

A little background on the project:
    I'm working on a talking-head project with college student interviewees.
    I'm trying to break out of the mold a bit on the cinematography, so I'm filming all my interviews on a Rokinon 85 1.4, and I'm going to crop to 2:35:1
    I'm relying on natural diffused light as my key, with a high contrast ratio, letting camera side of face falling off to shadow.

And I'm with some semi-dramatic music:

https://www.musicbed.com/songs/fragile/14534
    https://www.musicbed.com/songs/northernlights/14035

I'm passing the ProRes footage through Kholi's CometCleanser2.5k, and on occasion a second node for Hook's Vibe LUT.

Thank you!
    Last edited by thinkingcloud; 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM.

Thinkingcloud, this looks good to me. I think sometimes we need to back away from the camera and NLE and just see what John Q. Public sees.

This is a nice look. We could pick it to pieces but at the end of the day this is a good look for this person and I think that is all that matters.

Comment

I like it a lot.

And why not? Folks are constantly doing skintones with a dash of some other color glowing off of them.
      Heck, with the whole "Teal and Orange" thing that is so popular, Caucasian people are often downright orange!

I really like the look you got in the clip here.
      The slight blue tint you're getting is exactly that - slight.
      The woman looks otherwise normal, especially in the face where it is the most important.

I think you're on to something good here.
      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Awesome! Thanks guys! It really helps to have fresh eyes on it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that looks great. I did see a bad example recently of a cool-shadows grade on dark skin: Kill the Messenger. The film looked good overall, but Michael K. Williams face was downright navy. Way more blue than your skin tones.
          http://kylemcconaghy.com | My Reel

Comment

I dig this. Cool highlights are definitely bringing a different vibe than cool shadows. It makes the skin look reflective and sheen-ie. My mind is not thinking "Blue skin" at all. It comes across as natural skin that is reflecting something blue, like--as you said--the sky. I'm curious to know if this project will include white-skinned people and how the same approach would read on their skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Gross View Post
              I'm curious to know if this project will include white-skinned people and how the same approach would read on their skin.
              If you hit it hard enough...maybe it'll look like this:

bmg1wide.jpg
              Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
              Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
              Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Skin looks good, but where her head is cut off is giving me an unsettling feeling.
                instagram
                my work

Comment

Working...
                X