What would you do better - no holds barred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do better - no holds barred

We went out and shot this little promo example for a client to show a potential creative style but also to continue getting to know our new film kit, filming process in general and the BMPCC.

Shot with BMPCC, ProRes HQ, Panasonic 12 - 35mm f.28. Graded using Lumetri in Premiere CC 2015. (*the first shot had a separate grade for the sky and the ground).

It was a bright but 100% cloudy day and I admittedly struggled with exposure a little. I had a Hoya polarising filter fitted but need to get into the habit of taking the time to check the display graph and zebras.

As I'd packed up the kit in a chaotic household I'd brilliantly forgotten a tripod, which I didn't realise till we'd driven to the depths of Dartmoor national park in South West England.

Fortunately I did have a light stand and we decided to make do with that and go hand held at times. It did mean the slider shots I'd hoped to setup were a no go as it was simply too top heavy for the light stand.

What would you do better... No holds barred... Framing, exposure, sky replacement in post, remember a tripod ? etc..

(*The animation on the phone screen was done very quickly and crudely as the main focus was the filming and we know we can deliver high quality animation).
    (*The basic script idea was provided by the client)

I've removed the clients branding from the video.

Thanks for any input...
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

I liked it as is.

But I suppose it could have used a little more lighting on Kevin's face inside the car.

And the narration is so sparse that when it pops in it is a bit jarring.

Lastly, the content of what is being shown could have been clearer.
    I had to watch it twice to understand what was happening.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Thanks...

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
      I liked it as is.

But I suppose it could have used a little more lighting on Kevin's face inside the car.

And the narration is so sparse that when it pops in it is a bit jarring.

Lastly, the content of what is being shown could have been clearer.
      I had to watch it twice to understand what was happening.

Thanks, pleased to hear you like it as is... always a good first sign.

I agree on everything you say... the lighting for the interior shot was a little dark, though the sky is too bright... we had positioned a pop up reflector in the back seats to try and bounce a little more light onto his face but as we only had the two of us (Kevin) and myself (I was both driver and cameraman) it could no doubt have been angled better. Next time the LED light with it's stand should be used.

and yeah I think you're right on the voiceover script.. it could do with slightly more throughout...

Thanks for the reply....
      A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
      www.stormystudio.com

Comment

Overall not bad. Not a fan of 1/2 second cuts, but I understand you're trying to tell as much story as possible in a mere 15 seconds. My only negative comment would be the editing - not the 1/2 second cuts, but the overall cut. It seems a little distracting. You're close, but to me it seems a little fine tuning is in order to help it flow better.

Oh, and one other (quite subjective) thing, while the lighting on the talents face in the car was passable, I think it would have been better to to have him make that panicked face directly at his phone, with a POV shot from the phone. Obviously too late for that.

Comment

Originally posted by UTR-Labs View Post
          Oh, and one other (quite subjective) thing, while the lighting on the talents face in the car was passable, I think it would have been better to to have him make that panicked face directly at his phone, with a POV shot from the phone. Obviously too late for that.
          BINGO! That would have helped me understand what was happening a lot better.

The overall look of the spot I think did look professional.
          I'm sure there are a bunch of things you already know you could have made look even better, but overall the look felt consistent and professional.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

It's obvious when the cuts are happening b/c of the sound. It changes in volumes with the cuts. What I've found out with shorter commercials is just to bring the actor back and do an ADR session. Replace his dialogue in a clean environment. That way you can lay down room noise and outdoor sounds with seamless transitions.

Comment

Thank you for sharing and opening yourself up to feedback. Here are my thoughts:

GOOD:

1. Composition. Your shots are all framed nicely, professionally. Guess what, I never would have known you forgot your tripod.
              2. Pace. Now it's hard to get bored in 15 seconds, but you would be surprised how often I do. The editing's nice.
              3. Tone. I like the comedic tone.
              4. Music. Music sounds good and goes nicely with it.

COULD USE SOME WORK:

1. Exposure. I think you could have saved those skies. Even the car was overexposed. Expose for the highlights and raise the bottom in post. It's a mistake I made early on. With video, the noise is way down in the shadows. There's usually plenty of room to "underexpose" to save more of the highlights and raise it all in post.

2. Coverage. Why is there never a reverse angle on the other guy, even just for a second or two? The man of mystery. Maybe for efficiency? It's not important to see his face? I think the absence of his face creates tension, like in a horror movie, and I'm waiting for him to attack Kevin.

3. Ending. Like I said, I like the tone, and Kevin running out of the car was over the top in a funny way. I feel like a different reaction would have been better, though. Not sure what. Sorry. It's easy to be picky without being constructive!

4. Narrator. Kind of unnecessary, actually. It's not that you need more of him. It's that you could completely remove him.

5. Cut the happy-happy music earlier --- like maybe right when he plugs it in.

6. Realism? Does this actually happen? I use someone else's phone charger and it erases my data?

7. The steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. Did you accidentally flip the image in post?
              Last edited by combatentropy; 08-07-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

The eye line/180 is out of control, maybe I'm just tripping on the steering wheel thing but the shots/editing were distractingly inconsistent.

Comment

• Don't start the music and VO at the same time. Give music a second or two. Actually, when you say "this is Kevin", it should be a medium shot of Kevin from the front.

• have a little beep or something when he plugs in the phone and also when it's "Syncing" and when it's "Erased".

Other than that, great job!
                  instagram
                  my work

Comment

Working...
                  X