URSA Short for the RODE Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URSA Short for the RODE Contest

I haven't seen this anywhere before but I came across an URSA entry in the RODE contest. Damn it looks good. There's a BTS of them shooting and the OP has the screen open, doing handheld. I can't imagine the headache he must of had but he kept in focus. Just nice to see narrative being shot with it. I did notice some rough highlights due to the DR but that will all be taken care of soon

http://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/582

Great look for sure.

I know the URSA is heavy by today's standards...but over the years lots of folks have put not only Alexas on the shoulders but full size 35mm film cameras too of course. I think the trick is just to get nice big camera me-... I was about to say camera MEN but I remembered I know plenty of women who could fold me up like a dish rag... so we'll say camera OPS!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Sick. This is some of the best URSA footage I've seen.

Cannnnnnot wait for the 4.6K... sheesh.
      Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

Thanks for sharing my entry Vic! I was just randomly looking through the forums when I saw this :-) I appreciate the kind words! Shooting handheld with the URSA and having the screen open is just as bad as it sounds haha! I don't recommend it but it was our only option at the time. I could not agree with you more about those highlights! The clouds disappeared towards the end of the day and the DR didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Looking forward to the new sensor that's for sure! I appreciate the feedback :-)

Comment

Good lord that Ursa looks like a wine fridge slung over the camera op's shoulder. What was BM thinking.

Fun short, btw.

Comment

Good short!
            Filmmaker - Author
            https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Hoyte laughs at your Ursa handheld!

interstellar_hoytema.jpg

That was a very nice short. Foley needed some work but considering the time frame they had, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                I know the URSA is heavy by today's standards...but over the years lots of folks have put not only Alexas on the shoulders but full size 35mm film cameras too of course.
                And how many of them ended up with health problems because of it? It's not just a macho thing, there's a definite reason why you might not run around with a massively heavy camera on your shoulder, especially if you're out-of-pocket health insurance/expenses.

Comment

As a current owner, I have to defend this camera's weight.

It's heavy in terms of run-and-gun convenience, but using it on the shoulder is not bad. I don't know what the weight of film cameras or even traditional shoulder cams (betacams, 2/3, etc.) are/were, but 20lbs is light.

Personally, I work out and lift heavy weights (for the average human being), which makes this camera seem like a 20lb dumbbell...and that's exactly what it is.

For anyone who happens to like working out like that, they know squatting 250/300lbs is much, much worse. And I use squatting as an example, because people know how torturous of an exercise it is out of the big three (bench, deadlift, squat). This is 20lbs on your shoulder! It's nothing. Especially when it's rigged up properly and comfortably.

But I understand that it may be uncomfortable and inconvenient for some (because at the end of the day it's still weight that's being brought down by gravity onto your body), but it's only 20lbs!

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                    ... This is 20lbs on your shoulder! It's nothing. Especially when it's rigged up properly and comfortably.

But I understand that it may be uncomfortable and inconvenient for some (because at the end of the day it's still weight that's being brought down by gravity onto your body), but it's only 20lbs!
                    "God bless the child who's got his own."

Hope you stay young forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaley View Post
                      Thanks for sharing my entry Vic! I was just randomly looking through the forums when I saw this :-) I appreciate the kind words! Shooting handheld with the URSA and having the screen open is just as bad as it sounds haha! I don't recommend it but it was our only option at the time. I could not agree with you more about those highlights! The clouds disappeared towards the end of the day and the DR didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Looking forward to the new sensor that's for sure! I appreciate the feedback :-)
                      No problem. Really looked great.

If anyone thinks the camera is too heavy, go buy something else, honestly. This thing feels good and the handheld out of it is great. Not trying to sound like a dick but come on, enough with the weight already.

Comment

I enjoyed that!
                        instagram
                        my work

Comment

I must say, the URSA feels nicely balanced when mounted to your shoulder correctly with an EVF, the weight isn't that bad at all. It's only when you have the screen open that things get difficult.

Comment

Working...
                          X