Shichi Go San Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shichi Go San Tokyo

Tokyo, a fascinating place to be. It has so many different sides, a busy one, a quiet, peaceful one, a highly modern but also a very traditional one. I was lucky when I visited Tokyo on the weekend of November 15th last year that on this day the Shichi-Go-San festival took place at the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Tokyo. It is a traditional rite of passage and festival day in Japan for three- and seven-year-old girls and three- and five-year-old boys, held annually on November 15 to celebrate the growth and well-being of young children.

In front of the Meiji Jingu Shrine I listened to the music of a street musician, who really captivated me. He was playing on kind of a homegrown instrument, mesmerizing! Later, I googled him, found him on twitter, contacted him and he was so generous to provide the music for this film, writing an original song - thanks Sam!

Here are his contact details:
    Sami Elu
    twitter.com/sami_elu
    facebook.com/elusari
    www.freethefleamarket.org

Shot on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera in RAW, MB Speedbooster, Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, Rokinon 85mm T1.5, graded in DaVinci Resolve

Enjoy, and let me know your comments!

twitter.com/gunmac

Last edited by GMC; 07-16-2015, 01:51 AM.

That was awesome. Im surprised how you manage such a steady hand using non stabilised lenses. I nearly bought the sigma last night... But this feature holds me back from it

Comment

Originally posted by greg.hughes View Post
      That was awesome. Im surprised how you manage such a steady hand using non stabilised lenses. I nearly bought the sigma last night... But this feature holds me back from it
      Thanks Greg for that nice words! I have to admit that I used quite a lot of post - stabilizing. Also, the slo - mo helps in eliminating camera shake. The Sigma in combination with the Speedbooster is the go-to combo with the BMPCC in my opinion.

Comment

The color grade worked very nicely here. I know alot of folks don't like the orange and teal look...but sometimes it looks amazing!

Can you elaborate on your color grade scheme here?

Comment

Originally posted by robmneilson View Post
          The color grade worked very nicely here. I know alot of folks don't like the orange and teal look...but sometimes it looks amazing!

Can you elaborate on your color grade scheme here?
          Hi Rob, my starting point in DaVinci is always a LUT, I like for instance the Kholi one (Comet trails_WB02) which I got here on BMCuser - Kudos to Kholi - this is a very good starting point! Then, I use power windows (using the single node / layer node combination) to either qualify a color (in this case mostly the skin tones) or shape (like I did for the Rolls Royce in the beginning of the film) to separate objects from the background. The background I typically desaturate a bit and also decrease the luminance levels (to make it darker), plus I push some blue into it - you can see this on the thumbnail for this video, the two kids really stand out. This helps a lot in putting a busy background out of focus.

The rest is gut feeling, which seems to improve the more I work with DaVinci ;-)

Comment

Looks great, loved the overall vibe. What did you use to do the slow mo?

Comment

Yes, the slo-mo has a great look!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlando View Post
                Looks great, loved the overall vibe. What did you use to do the slow mo?
                I did the slow mo in After Effects with the timewarp effect. It works quite well sometimes, but if you look closely you see some warping artefacts.

Comment

Originally posted by micericag1 View Post
                  Yes, the slo-mo has a great look!
                  Thanks for that feedback!

Comment

Working...
                  X