We Bring The Funk music video BMPCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Bring The Funk music video BMPCC

So I shot a music video as a favour for my room mates band. I had the band dress up in onesies and perform in front of different street art in Melbourne.
    Most of it was shot with the Sigma 35mm & EF Speedbooster on my run & gun rig which consists of a Varavon cage, Zacuto viewfinder, external battery & Edelkrone Pocketsupport plus handle. One shot was also done with the Morpheus stabilizer * the Olympus 9mm bodycap lens. I did a few more shots with that lens but in hindsight I should have used a different lens. It was quite challenging to match both lenses colour wise.

Here's a couple snaps from the shoot:

Comments & feedback welcome
    Last edited by 4saken; 06-27-2015, 12:07 AM.
    Vimeo profile
    VFX Showreel
    IMDB

Thanks for reminding me why I usually don't share any of my work here. 150 views and not a single reply! Gotta love the level of interaction around here...
    Vimeo profile
    VFX Showreel
    IMDB

Comment

I can agree. The interaction level these days is not good. Unless there is personal gain nobody seems to care. I thought the grading and quality was really good. The bmpcc is a great camera. In reality when rigged up its better than most 1080p cams up until 2013/2014. Just think that the top of the line sony cams that were 1080p and didn't shoot RAW back in 2005/2006 were about $100k and weighed 40 lbs LOL. This was a game changed. I use it literally every day at weddings.

Another great thing about the Pocket Cam is that it grades 100% with footage from my RED. not a fan of the music but vid was good.
      Corey Benoit
      www.faymusmedia.com
      www.facebook.com/faymusmedia
      info@faymusmedia.com

Comment

This project looked like a ton of fun and I love the energy and over all feel of the piece. Well done.

I felt that the grade tilted toward warm a little much for my taste especially in the skin tones. I feel like the BM cameras can go there easily.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies, much appreciated!
          Yeah, the project was super fun. We just went out for the day and had the band mock around in their onesies.
          The whole thing was a zero budget project I did for fun and as a favour to my awesome room mates to help with their musical career.
          Shot in one day and edited & graded in two days.
          Vimeo profile
          VFX Showreel
          IMDB

Comment

nice vid! blacks are slightly crushed too much for my taste, but overall great vid, i didn't skip it and watched to the end, so that's good hehe

Comment

Originally posted by mcnys View Post
              nice vid! blacks are slightly crushed too much for my taste, but overall great vid, i didn't skip it and watched to the end, so that's good hehe
              thanks, glad you like it. did you watch it on a pc or mac? I noticed it looks fine on my macbook, but on some pc systems it looks indeed a bit crushed.
              Vimeo profile
              VFX Showreel
              IMDB

Comment

Some of the footage looks super soft, Was this the body cap lens? Fun idea! for a one day shoot and no budget i would say it came out nice

Comment

I dig the project, music not my taste sure, but it looked consistent and kept to its style. Looked a little soft but it just fit in with the overall feel so I didn't mind it. Good work

Comment

Haha, loved that man! I did not find the blacks too crushed. They looked like they were right on the money. Tired of the low con look. This look suited the style quite a bit. the only thing I would have liked to see is slightly higher saturation, but otherwise I really enjoyed this!
                    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
                      Thanks for reminding me why I usually don't share any of my work here. 150 views and not a single reply! Gotta love the level of interaction around here...
                      I'll bite then :-)

So, I love seeing those lanes and streets, have spent a lot of time around there and I know them all well. I grew up around there and have also spent a lot of time shooting there (Offspring)

I thought the look was good and consistent. As noted, the lens cap lens should have stayed a lens cap, it sticks out like dogs balls :-)

I also would have liked to see more progression. I know it's all the rage to have no story, but after I'd seen the first few setups, I didn't feel like I see anything new...even as simple as a new location, new staging, new something.... Just to make it feel less flat and more like a journey of some kind from point A to point B.

but great work for a minimal setup and a day to shoot

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                        I'll bite then :-)

So, I love seeing those lanes and streets, have spent a lot of time around there and I know them all well. I grew up around there and have also spent a lot of time shooting there (Offspring)

I thought the look was good and consistent. As noted, the lens cap lens should have stayed a lens cap, it sticks out like dogs balls :-)

I also would have liked to see more progression. I know it's all the rage to have no story, but after I'd seen the first few setups, I didn't feel like I see anything new...even as simple as a new location, new staging, new something.... Just to make it feel less flat and more like a journey of some kind from point A to point B.

but great work for a minimal setup and a day to shoot

JB
                        Thanks for the reply John! Agreed on the body cap lens. That's going into the bin and I'll use something else for my wide angle shots.

Completely agree on the story part. We originally had a story line planned but realized it's too much for just a day of shooting. But for the next video we want to have a proper story and shoot at least a couple of days.
                        Vimeo profile
                        VFX Showreel
                        IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by ioctober View Post
                          Some of the footage looks super soft, Was this the body cap lens? Fun idea! for a one day shoot and no budget i would say it came out nice
                          Some of the footage is super soft because
                          A.) I suck at pulling focus. With the half a second delay on the Zacuto it's even more difficult and I need to improve on those skills.
                          B.) I think in two shots I had the bodycap lens set to the wrong focus. There are two settings the lens can be focused on. Infinity and close focus.
                          Vimeo profile
                          VFX Showreel
                          IMDB

Comment

I actually quite like the softness and jumps in lens aesthetics - it adds another layer of variation and grittiness to it which compliments the music style and location.

I didnt mind the grade too much either - perhaps a bit on the green side but its all subjective anyway.

One thing I did stand out in a positive way was the motion cadence in this video - not sure why but it looked even better than I usually see. Almost in DB16 territory I felt.

I didnt much care for the music and agree it could have maybe a bit more of a narrative/progression - BUT it was an excellent bit of work none the less!
                            Tom Majerski
                            Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
                            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

Really nice, I enjoyed this a lot, and the music is fun Apart from the lack of progression/story/angles, which is understandable considering the time/man power constraints, I really liked the gritty look and motion as Tom noted. I've been thinking of re-buying a Pocket (I sold mine a couple of months ago) until the Micro gets released, but I'm trying to resist and you're not helping

Great job!

Comment

Working...
                              X