Short film shot on Pocket & 2.5K, sample gimbal clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short film shot on Pocket & 2.5K, sample gimbal clips

Here's a couple clips from a short I recently shot. These shots in particular were from the Pocket w/ Metabones SB and the Canon 16-35mm. Unfortunately, the lens I had the gimbal balanced for was left behind and I had to improvise last moment. The original footage was horribly shaky to begin with, much more so than anything I usually produce with the gimbal. But Warp Stabilizer seems to have saved me more or less without producing too many offensive side effects.

Last edited by Roman; 06-09-2015, 08:23 PM.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

looks cool! as always, colours in your stuff looks superb. this isn't the finished short, right?

the framing in some shots was a bit off. I would have given slightly more head room for her face. no monitor on the gimbal to frame the shots properly?
    Vimeo profile
    VFX Showreel
    IMDB

Comment

Oh nah, this is just a few clips from the short, in fact I'm not sure we'll use all of them actually. But yeah that last shot was hard, just kind of eyeing while spending most of my attention trying not to trip over stuff haha. No monitor, since tethering it to the camera messes with balance on the gimbal, but I'm still working on a little solution I've come with.

Comment

First shot is stunning- is that a salt flat?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Fraser View Post
          First shot is stunning- is that a salt flat?

It's just the natural Oolitic sand that forms around the great salt lake. The actual Bonneville Salt Flats are out West a little ways, and is an almost endless flat expanse. There's some neat areas to shoot right around the lake though, that don't look anything like your average lake / ocean shoreline. It's kind of a surreal area.

Comment

Your skin tones seem a bit off... j/k

Very nice! Warp stabilizer can do some amazing things. It can also create some horrifying effects.

Comment

Hey can you tell me what your warp stabilizer settings were? It looks much better than when I use it. I always get weird artifacts. Thanks in advance. also can u post a little unstabized footage. Oh and the grade is great. What LUT are you using ?

Comment

Originally posted by thomasbroening View Post
                Hey can you tell me what your warp stabilizer settings were? It looks much better than when I use it. I always get weird artifacts. Thanks in advance. also can u post a little unstabized footage. Oh and the grade is great. What LUT are you using ?
                Thanks, my warp stabilizer settings were set to 2% on Position / Rotation / Auto-scale. I generally just ditch the shot if I'm going to use more than 3 or 4%. It just looks atrocious to me haha. Subspace warp is extremely offensive in nearly every circumstance and in nearly every piece of footage I've tried to use it on. Others more familiar with it, probably get good results. For me, just position, or position / rotation etc generally works best.

Grade was actually a Resolve Power Grade made by Kholi. I just tweaked the exposure. Didn't really do anything myself at all haha.

I'll get a clip up of the original footage so you can see, maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks roman! That really helps!

thomas

Comment

Originally posted by thomasbroening View Post
                    Thanks roman! That really helps!

thomas

Here are the same clips, before and after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFt...ature=youtu.be

Without WS, they're unusable. Usually, they look just fine without any jitters at all when I'm actually shooting correctly and have taken time to stabilize the rig beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
                      Thanks, my warp stabilizer settings were set to 2% on Position / Rotation / Auto-scale. I generally just ditch the shot if I'm going to use more than 3 or 4%. It just looks atrocious to me haha. Subspace warp is extremely offensive in nearly every circumstance and in nearly every piece of footage I've tried to use it on. Others more familiar with it, probably get good results. For me, just position, or position / rotation etc generally works best.

Grade was actually a Resolve Power Grade made by Kholi. I just tweaked the exposure. Didn't really do anything myself at all haha.

I'll get a clip up of the original footage so you can see, maybe tomorrow.
                      yeah, that's the right way to go. it's the same settings I use. everything else just looks too artificial.
                      Vimeo profile
                      VFX Showreel
                      IMDB

Comment

Thanks for Roman. The unstablized footage looks better than my hand held work would. You clearly operate well. Obviously it looks much better when have you added the stabiizer but was surprised how good it looked without. Gives me hope.

Comment

Working...
                        X