Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mman
    replied
    YouTube seems to be a lot more lax when it comes to videos like this, especially because Google can just slap an ad for the song on it and generate some revenue. Vimeo on the other hand has been cracking down pretty hard on copyright infringement. I'd recommend putting this on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• soupkitchen
    replied
    Lol. Most of the video online would be taken down if fair use didn't exist. Joe should worry less about people's amateur videos and more about giving away all his film ideas on stage32 for free

The grade is fine if that's what you were going for. I guess asking what people think of it without maybe showing or referencing something you were aiming for is a little vague as some people like this look, others don't.

Filming wise it's pretty static and just fine, though there are times where it feels like you are chasing them (because you are) and maybe leaving the frame static or being able to preempt them a bit so it feels like the camera move is intentional would work better for me. I'm guessing you're following their lead and don't get much input into what they are doing right? Maybe sweet talk the dancers into another take and blame the camera. That's what I do all the time if I'm working with people who don't want to do extra takes but need to. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Toby

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    "And LMAO @ devaluing the song! This dang video sure is going to put a dent in that estimated 10 million in record sales with zero monetization. People on this site man I tell you lol"

Well, the point is the legal theory that will nail you with a quarter million dollar fine. People here, who apparently want to be a part of the film business are basically arguing that they can do whatever they want with other people's material, when the law is clearly 180 degrees opposed to that. Further, they have erroneously argued that putting their stupid dancing over a song constitutes "fair use," which it clearly does not; it makes them look like complete imbeciles to boot. Fair use is an important cornerstone of free speech for PEOPLE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY. Making a mockery of it is pathetic.

But the sense of entitlement and juvenile ignorance is striking. You're simply not supposed to steal other people's copyright protected music for your crappy little videos. It's not that difficult to understand. But you're going to do it anyway because you're a special snowflake. And foist it on the rest of us to watch. Perhaps more copyright enforcement isn't such a bad idea.
    It actually brings a little joy to my life knowing how upset you are over my "crappy Little video" with "stupid dancing over a song."
    Here is another for ya Joe! Enjoy more crappy dance videos brought to you by me, who doesn't give a rats ass what you think.
    https://vimeo.com/129462075

Leave a comment:

• Howie Roll
    replied
    While I seriously doubt any legal action would ever come of this, Joe's point, if a little haterish, is still valid. It's one thing to say hey screw the legality I made a fun video with my friends. It's another thing to argue "fair use" when the using the title of the song in the video and the dancers are both professionals, this piece can easily be construed as promotional material for them.

Beyond that I though it was a great video. I thought the saturation was dead on for the piece, it seems like any more would have made it look cartoony. I like the use of a wide shot, it shows that these guys can dance, you're not faking it like an action sequence. My only criticism is that the grade was too hot for my tastes. The sky, skin tones, the ground, everything just looked about .5-1 stop overexposed. I think that's what robbed your skin tones of saturation and that's what people are talking about when they mention it looking desaturated, their shirts and the backgrounds surely are not. This would be a great "lost in the desert" grade, being shot in Las Vegas (ejimicated guess) however it may be entirely apropos.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• Joe Giambrone
    replied
    "And LMAO @ devaluing the song! This dang video sure is going to put a dent in that estimated 10 million in record sales with zero monetization. People on this site man I tell you lol"

Well, the point is the legal theory that will nail you with a quarter million dollar fine. People here, who apparently want to be a part of the film business are basically arguing that they can do whatever they want with other people's material, when the law is clearly 180 degrees opposed to that. Further, they have erroneously argued that putting their stupid dancing over a song constitutes "fair use," which it clearly does not; it makes them look like complete imbeciles to boot. Fair use is an important cornerstone of free speech for PEOPLE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY. Making a mockery of it is pathetic.

But the sense of entitlement and juvenile ignorance is striking. You're simply not supposed to steal other people's copyright protected music for your crappy little videos. It's not that difficult to understand. But you're going to do it anyway because you're a special snowflake. And foist it on the rest of us to watch. Perhaps more copyright enforcement isn't such a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• Abstrak
    replied
    I rarely visit this site anymore except to catch some news I might have missed else where. Its filled with pessimism, forum police, and keyboard lawyers. Off topic but had to put my lil rant in. I thought the colors were great though I felt it was a little hot on the exposure probably could have brought the gamma down some and it would have been right in the pocket. Also for some reason most people on Vimeo never make the 1080p version available so when you go full screen its a tiny 720p box. I like it though thanks for sharing.

And LMAO @ devaluing the song! This dang video sure is going to put a dent in that estimated 10 million in record sales with zero monetization. People on this site man I tell you lol

Leave a comment:

• misterkofa
    replied
    Originally posted by cmckinlay View Post
    Hey Guys,
    So this is embarrassing as I have had the BMCC for well over a year and a half now but here is my first attempt utilizing the 2.5k RAW. A few fellow cast mates were working on this piece and we came across the perfect place to shoot it in Las Vegas. I do have to admit that working with a RAW file is amazing! There is so much more I can do with the image. But Prores is so convenient....
    Let me know what you thought of the grade and video in general.
    https://vimeo.com/128043879
    For some reason it just seemed a little hot as in slightly over exposed. A little more variety in the shots and some playful transitions to match the choreography would have been cool. Still, a good job though.

It's not fair use. You absolutely can be sued... (and probably should). You're devaluing the song putting your footage over someone else's copyright protected work.
    Not you again with this man. I know you have some personal situation with this but this doesn't mean you can go around policing every video on the internet. Why don't you just enjoy the clip, relax... and should the OP be contacted (or sued) then it's his problem. Unless it's someone stealing your personal work I don't think this attack is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    Originally posted by vicharris View Post
    Ahhh, too funny.

Fun video btw. Those dancers were great. I liked the colors. Reminded me of rap videos between the early on days and gangster rap periods. Maybe like a dance scene from Breakin2.
    Thanks Vic. Im a big fan of your work. Your Doritos SB commercial is great. The coloring I was trying to achieve was something similar to Breakin! I love that movie. I am still in the very early stages of learning Resolve but I am really excited as to what I will be able to do with it!
    Thanks for the comments!

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Madsen View Post
    Some nice elements to your piece and the dancers were easy to watch. I think that your dancers are overwhelmed by the backgrounds however (perhaps black and white dress, for example, might help separate them), and that with such busy backgrounds your dof could be a little shallower.
    Hey Steve, I completely agree. The background, as awesome as it is, should of been a bit more soft. It is slightly distracting and the dancers get lost in the mix of colors.
    Appreciate you taking time to watch.

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    Originally posted by bscenefilms View Post
    It looks a bit desaturated but other than that I thought it was fine.
    Appreciate the input bscenefilms. I am going to try some recalibrating of my monitor tonight. Something must be off. I think I should start grading with my monitor at the Adobe RGB standard Profile since everyone will be viewing this sort of video on their laptop/tablet/smartphone which (of course color varies from unit to unit) but at least the large majority of apple users have uncalibrated monitors running that profile.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Here's my view:
    The framing often looks too deliberate, there's even jerky reframing edited into the final vid.
    Camera movement (if introduced) further emphasizes this.
    "OMG they're getting out of frame, I gotta move the camera - dang! too late, they're back in."
    The picture, although having lots of colors in it, looks dull.
    Shooting more against the sun instead of with and around dusk or dawn would have helped to add some contrast.
    I guess you also had lots of change of sunny/cloudy?
    Overall everything looks kind of flat, the close ups being the only exceptions, but just for the sake of less DoF.

This all in a "what would I do to make it look more to MY taste" sense, I'm sure you are satisfied with the outcome.
    Thanks for the input, I have had a few people say its not very saturated. On my monitors it looks VERY saturated. When I was grading it, I turned up the saturation until the red shirt was almost radioactive then backed it off a bit. My monitors are calibrated with a colormunki. I am wondering if that has something to do with it. Are your monitors calibrated or just the standard adobe RGB color profile?
    Not sure I follow you in the "shoot more against the sun?" Wouldn't that blow out my background, give me terrible lens flair, (as we were shooting near high noon), Black sun dot etc. I was going for bright and fun feel so I felt dusk or dawn would of softened the feeling I was trying to convey.
    The time to film this was very limited due to time and coordinating everyones schedule. You know how people are when its a free fun project. So we didn't really have a choice of when we should film.....it was when could we film.
    Thanks for your input, I always appreciate another set of industry eyes giving some input. Much more in depth than the general public that thinks the first draft "looks great!"
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• jimagine
    replied
    I know your feeling.
    For simplicity and schedule I shot all our work in ProRes until I finally took the time to learn Resolve and now I just keep working on my raw/resolve technique.

Because you're only asking about your grade (I do like the dancers a lot) I'd say only that it could be a bit punchier in places given the material.
    Because of the wide approach (personal) I'd be using secondaries, particularly in the sky.

Overall, nice work and no, you don't deserve to be prosecuted for the music.

Leave a comment:

• vicharris
    replied
    Originally posted by Akos View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14164[/ATTACH]
    Ahhh, too funny.

Fun video btw. Those dancers were great. I liked the colors. Reminded me of rap videos between the early on days and gangster rap periods. Maybe like a dance scene from Breakin2.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Madsen
    replied
    Originally posted by cmckinlay View Post
    ... and we came across the perfect place to shoot it in Las Vegas.
    Some nice elements to your piece and the dancers were easy to watch. I think that your dancers are overwhelmed by the backgrounds however (perhaps black and white dress, for example, might help separate them), and that with such busy backgrounds your dof could be a little shallower.

Leave a comment:

• cmckinlay
    replied
    It's not fair use. You absolutely can be sued... (and probably should). You're devaluing the song putting your footage over someone else's copyright protected work.
    Haha! Well I'll be sure to make your day and let you know when the lawsuit comes in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X