Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first crack at grading RAW footage from the BMCC

Hey Guys,
    So this is embarrassing as I have had the BMCC for well over a year and a half now but here is my first attempt utilizing the 2.5k RAW. A few fellow cast mates were working on this piece and we came across the perfect place to shoot it in Las Vegas. I do have to admit that working with a RAW file is amazing! There is so much more I can do with the image. But Prores is so convenient....
    Let me know what you thought of the grade and video in general.
    https://vimeo.com/128043879

I imagine you don't have the rights to that song, and are wide open to a lawsuit...
    Filmmaker - Author
    https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

fun piece. Only crit i would have is some of the wide shots seem a bit too wide to me. The set is great, but yea.

and yea, you and the milions of other fan made dance videos on youtube are prime for a lawsuit. Lawsuit armageddon is coming! brace yourself!<sarcasm/>
      Last edited by kiliksun; 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
        I imagine you don't have the rights to that song, and are wide open to a lawsuit...
        Not quite.... I film mostly dancers and cirque performers, so I have alot of experience with copywriten music and how to use it legally. In all my years using copywriten music I have only been contacted once by a lawyer for the Michael Jackson estate for using his music, becuse the vudeo had a website link in the video that led to one of the dancers websites that sells clothing. Then I am using his music for profit. For the reasons below this video completely abides by the law. Good looking out.
        "Fair use
        Section 107 of the Copyright Law allows for the "fair use" of a copyrighted work for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research."

Comment

Actually, most music entertainers love seeing dance videos online using their music, as long as your not selling something in the video! Remember the Michael Jackson estate's lawyer contacting me...they ended up putting one of my videos on his vevo page. (don't look at the awful brightening effect the MJ estate added via youtube. That was not part of my work.)
          https://youtu.be/Te9h2vdpZ7M

Comment

Originally posted by kiliksun View Post
            fun piece. Only crit i would have is some of the wide shots seem a bit too wide to me. The set is great, but yea.

and yea, you and the milions of other fan made dance videos on youtube are prime for a lawsuit. Lawsuit armageddon is coming! brace yourself!<sarcasm/>
            I agree, thats the one I hate about filming dance videos. The choreographer always wants to see the feet, personally as a videographer I think its irrelevant but as a dancer I get why they want a overly wide shot just to get the feet in. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

If the OP isn't making money off of it they should be covered by Fair Use Act

Comment

Maybe I should change the title of this thread to "Am I breaking the law with this video?" because it seems like you guys are more interested in pretending to be lawyers than being the filmmakers you are and having a productive and artistically motivated discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by cmckinlay View Post
                  Maybe I should change the title of this thread to "Am I breaking the law with this video?" because it seems like you guys are more interested in pretending to be lawyers than being the filmmakers you are and having a productive and artistically motivated discussion.
                  Here's my view:
                  The framing often looks too deliberate, there's even jerky reframing edited into the final vid.
                  Camera movement (if introduced) further emphasizes this.
                  "OMG they're getting out of frame, I gotta move the camera - dang! too late, they're back in."
                  The picture, although having lots of colors in it, looks dull.
                  Shooting more against the sun instead of with and around dusk or dawn would have helped to add some contrast.
                  I guess you also had lots of change of sunny/cloudy?
                  Overall everything looks kind of flat, the close ups being the only exceptions, but just for the sake of less DoF.

This all in a "what would I do to make it look more to MY taste" sense, I'm sure you are satisfied with the outcome.

Comment

It looks a bit desaturated but other than that I thought it was fine.

Comment

It's not fair use. You absolutely can be sued... (and probably should). You're devaluing the song putting your footage over someone else's copyright protected work.
                      Filmmaker - Author
                      https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

big-lebowski-opinion-man-large.jpg

Comment

It's not fair use. You absolutely can be sued... (and probably should). You're devaluing the song putting your footage over someone else's copyright protected work.
                          Haha! Well I'll be sure to make your day and let you know when the lawsuit comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by cmckinlay View Post
                            ... and we came across the perfect place to shoot it in Las Vegas.
                            Some nice elements to your piece and the dancers were easy to watch. I think that your dancers are overwhelmed by the backgrounds however (perhaps black and white dress, for example, might help separate them), and that with such busy backgrounds your dof could be a little shallower.
                            http://vimeo.com/user4142226

Comment

Originally posted by Akos View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14164[/ATTACH]
                              Ahhh, too funny.

Fun video btw. Those dancers were great. I liked the colors. Reminded me of rap videos between the early on days and gangster rap periods. Maybe like a dance scene from Breakin2.

Comment

Working...
                              X