Relay for Life: Nikon 50mm 1.4 AIS + LED Wandlight/Ice Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
    That's interesting! It seems the old Nikkors are warmer versus the sigma art series (18-35mm as a reference) which is much more neutral. The thing about this lens is that there's a aperture issue that's annoying to turn now.
    I mean I bought it for $60 I think 4-5 years ago and it's been wonderful though.

One thing you reminded me about was that my 18-35mm without a speedbooster should technically be ~ to a 50mm.
    Do you notice any fringing and blooming at 1.4?
    None in my tests. And in the stuff we've shot we were never at 1.4. And yes, the nikkor is warmer. I would definitely rent the art before purchasing it. At the end of the day, feeling comfortable with the tools you have is essential to filmmaking.

All the tight shots in the interview portion are the BMCC and 50mm 1.4 art.

https://vimeo.com/117642865
    instagram
    my work

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
      None in my tests. And in the stuff we've shot we were never at 1.4. And yes, the nikkor is warmer. I would definitely rent the art before purchasing it. At the end of the day, feeling comfortable with the tools you have is essential to filmmaking.

All the tight shots in the interview portion are the BMCC and 50mm 1.4 art.

https://vimeo.com/117642865
      Yeah...the tight shots on the ART lens are very sharp but also look quite a bit more "clinical" or "video sharp" compared to the rest of the piece.
      Reminds me of the Canon C300 look - which is great for what it is - but I felt that those tight shots didn't blend in to the rest of the piece as well as they could have because of that clinical look.
      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
        Yeah...the tight shots on the ART lens are very sharp but also look quite a bit more "clinical" or "video sharp" compared to the rest of the piece.
        Reminds me of the Canon C300 look - which is great for what it is - but I felt that those tight shots didn't blend in to the rest of the piece as well as they could have because of that clinical look.
        I agree, and I don't wanna take the focus off Note's thread but since we are addressing the 50mm 1.4 art...

The rest of the footage was either the sigma 1.8 or Nikkor 50 1.2. I think we also had a canon 24-70 or something like that for some other shots. The 50 art also introduced moire that I didn't see in any of the other footage and it's colors were more technically accurate, which isn't my style of shooting. Though I enjoyed using it, it's not a lens I would chose for my personal work.
        instagram
        my work

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
          I agree, and I don't wanna take the focus off Note's thread but since we are addressing the 50mm 1.4 art...

The rest of the footage was either the sigma 1.8 or Nikkor 50 1.2. I think we also had a canon 24-70 or something like that for some other shots. The 50 art also introduced moire that I didn't see in any of the other footage and it's colors were more technically accurate, which isn't my style of shooting. Though I enjoyed using it, it's not a lens I would chose for my personal work.
          No worries guys. I'm interested in all of this convo since I started the question.
          For me I'm fine with the clinical look as it'll match my 18-35mm.
          www.lightformfilm.com
          https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Beautifully Moody Pictures! I liked the grade, suited the video very well.

Comment

Originally posted by MatsHelgesson View Post
              Beautifully Moody Pictures! I liked the grade, suited the video very well.
              thanks Matt!
              www.lightformfilm.com
              https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Working...
              X