Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature FIlm '54 Days' SHot on BMCC & BMPC

Hi Guys n Gals,

I shot my first feature film early last year and its now available on vimeo on demand: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/54days
    We shot the film with the BMCC & BMPC and a set of Rokinon primes. Shot over 13 days and for a budget of $60,000. AUD
    Was a hectic ride and really removed the fear of features from me

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Also if you want to know more my buddy and producer on the film, Nicholas Andrew Halls, talks about the film here: http://anycamerawilldo.com/54daysnickhalls/

Nat J
    Producer-Director at Jackson Speed PTY LTD. Media Production in Sydney
    Also, freelance DOP.

Web Site: www.jacksonspeed.com
    Show Reel:vimeo
    FaceBook: Jackson Speed
    Blog: AnyCameraWillDo.com
    FaceBook::
    AnyCameraWillDo

Trailer looks awesome. Very clean with a high production value. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks bro
      Also, freelance DOP.

AnyCameraWillDo

Comment

It's funny. Post a few frames of your puppy and you might get 10 replies. Post an actual feature film and get no response!

Well it looks fantastic. I'd be very interested to know how you funded $60K.

Comment

That was really nice! Well done! Good luck with it, I suspect you won't need any

Comment

Originally posted by analog_addict View Post
            It's funny. Post a few frames of your puppy and you might get 10 replies. Post an actual feature film and get no response!
            I'm a lazy, lazy man and can't be coming all the way back here to post after expending all that energy clicking on a link to somewhere else.

Seriously, though, the trailer looks really good.

Comment

Just noticed this, looks great man. Will have to check it out. How's the Vimeo / VOD platform working out? Do they advertise your film in some way, like say if someone is looking through a particular genre, your film will appear there or something? Will you ever consider trying to get it onto Netflix, or is that a route that usually doesn't pay out very well by comparison with something like Vimeo where you get paid a considerable amount for every rental / purchase?
              Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

I actually though I posted in this thread. Must have been drunk.

Anyways I actually had this cued up to watch but Vimeo has been so bad on my end lately on my computer I was going to try and pull it up on my TV.

Comment

Well done! Thanks for sharing. BTW, which Rokinon primes did you used? Any SB?

Comment

Excellent work. Congratulations to you all.

Comment

Aww man... looks like I'm gonna be that guy.

The audio, especially give the budget... was just not very clean and rich.

A lot of the highlights are blown where they shouldn't be and the blue/teal look (which I love) just wasn't pulled off well here. The cinematography as well just wasn't filmic overall. Even the explosion effect was very cheesy as was the music selection for the trailer.

On the other hand, I see some good direction and potential solid performances from the actors and it looked like some effort was put into set design.

While I commend the tremendous effort it takes to put a feature together, even for a budget of $60k, I just don't think the end product was as strong as it could be here.
                      instagram
                      my work

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

analog_addict, the film was mostly funded through crowd funding on Kickstarter. The films Writer/Director is ran the campaign and got the whole project moving form idea to first shoot day in less than 6 months.

bsenefilms, thanks The film has done surprisingly well. It won a bunch of awards at several festivals already including best picture and best cinematography at the Idyllwild Film Festival. Its currently in the process of getting a distribution deal of some kind. The Director, Tim Lea, has just signed on with a producers rep and are apparently close to a deal.

Roman
                        , I'm not sure how the VOD stuff has been performing I believe its very slow but I really don't know. I don't believe they advertise you film at all. As I understand there is a desire to get the film onto Netflix and Itunes.

vicharris, let us know what you think when you do watch it. It was a very interesting experience making the film and I am really interested in how the audience reacts to the film. Its not the story I would write if it was up to me but it is the story the director wanted to tell.

EYu, we used the 24, 35, 85mm Rokinon primes along with a 50 mm Nikon and a 70-200mm Tamron and 11-16 Tokina. We used the SpeedBooster almost constantly.

Misterkofa, that's alright. The film is not for everybody. Did you watch the film or just the trailer? We did have some real problems with audio and the grade. The trailer still has these issues but they were mostly sorted for the final film. Also the trailer was made very early on in the edit process so the vfx shots weren't ready for use at that time hence the cheesy explosion.

You might ask why not redo the trailer then, I ask the same question, and the answer comes down to the fact that every one put in a huge amount of time and effort especially considering the budget limitations. Eventually everyone gets a bit burnt out and gets to a point that they have put in as much effort and time as they are willing to I guess. I think this happens to any production/project and people have other things that they have to get on with. So the trailer is as it is. We didn't go for a blue/teal look we changed the look of the film progressively as the characters get more stressed/crazy.

If you get a chance, watch the whole film and let us know what you think. I feel that we have a better film than the trailer lets on but will let you guys n gals be the judge

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys, really appreciate it.

- Nat J
                        Last edited by EndCredits; 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM.
                        Also, freelance DOP.

AnyCameraWillDo

Comment

I like some of the strong composition in various places But the over all trailer seemed a little cheap.The only issue that is unforgivable (to me at least) is the color grade. It is way too M31 for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love teal and orange when used cleverly but the skin tones in this are just horrible and flat.

Comment

Working...
                          X