Experiencing India - BMPCC & GoPro aerials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiencing India - BMPCC & GoPro aerials

So I was travelling through India in February for 2 weeks to do some location scouting for a documentary I plan on shooting next year.
    While this was also a very nice vacation, I spent most of the time shooting with my BMPCC and a GoPro 4 Silver attached to a small quadcopter.

The result is tons of cool footage and I tried the best to squeeze it into about 6 minutes. I might do another video since I still have lot's of other footage that looks great that didn't make it into this clip.

All the BMPCC stuff was shot handheld just stabilized by the Edelkrone Pocket Support with the 14mm 2.5 Pancake lens, some shots with the 9mm Olympus bodycap lens and the Cinevate Morpheus stabilizer and a couple of night shots with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 on the Speedbooster.

For the GoPro footage I used Tom's excellent LUT to match the footage with the BMPCC and then graded both with Impulz LUTs.

Some of the GoPro footage is maybe pushed a bit too far since it shows some compression artifacts. But most of it is lost in Vimeos compression anyway.

Here's a couple of frame grabs:

And of course here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/122521892

Like always, comments & feedback is welcome
    Vimeo profile
    VFX Showreel
    IMDB

Excellent stuff!

The two cams inter-cut very well in my opinion.

Nice editing too!

I think I would have gone for a more punchy grade - but thats just personal taste.

Looks like you had one amazing trip!
    Tom Majerski
    Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

Thanks, glad you like it. The more punchy grade is something I have to investigate. I just recently switched from a Mac to PC for editing & grading in Premiere CC and seem to be having some gamma issues that I never had on Mac OSX.
      Everything looks way more contrasty when I play it back in Premiere but looses contrast when I export as a ProRes mov. After uploading to Vimeo there's another slight gamma shift.
      Anyone know what's going on there?
      Vimeo profile
      VFX Showreel
      IMDB

Comment

Nice vid man.

I'm thinking of taking my phantom to Europe this summer but worried about travelling with it. Did you have any problems taking it to India? Have you traveled with it before?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
          Thanks, glad you like it. The more punchy grade is something I have to investigate. I just recently switched from a Mac to PC for editing & grading in Premiere CC and seem to be having some gamma issues that I never had on Mac OSX.
          Everything looks way more contrasty when I play it back in Premiere but looses contrast when I export as a ProRes mov. After uploading to Vimeo there's another slight gamma shift.
          Anyone know what's going on there?
          Yeh the gamma shift thing. mov is something I have yet to find a solution to.
          Darren Scott
          Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

great work man! Only crit would be the length considering the subject matter but you had enough variation to keep me so it might be a mute point anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
              Nice vid man.

I'm thinking of taking my phantom to Europe this summer but worried about travelling with it. Did you have any problems taking it to India? Have you traveled with it before?

Cheers.
              thanks! I didn't have much trouble travelling with it. It was my first time taking the quad on a plane and I had everything in my carry on in a pelican case. All Lipos were in Lipo safe bags. The Indian security checks did look at them very thoroughly each time and in hindsight I might have been very lucky because flying a drone in India is actually highly illegal without official permission.
              But one thing I really liked about India: no one gives a shit about anything.
              So I was flying the quad near this old fort and a couple of military officials were walking around there to have a tour as well. They seemed really interested in the drone and amazed at the monitor video downlink on my remote. But no one questioned me if I had an official permission to film. They all just wanted to take pictures with me

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
              Yeh the gamma shift thing. mov is something I have yet to find a solution to.
              let me know if you find a solution! I think it comes down to Apple just not giving a fuck about the windows version of quicktime....

Originally posted by kiliksun View Post
              great work man! Only crit would be the length considering the subject matter but you had enough variation to keep me so it might be a mute point anyways.
              Yeah, I agree. 6 min might be pushing it a bit. But I just had so much footage and I could easily cut another video with 6 more minutes. I just had to get in as much stuff as possible. And I mostly do these type of videos for the people I travel with and they usually appreciate a longer version.
              Vimeo profile
              VFX Showreel
              IMDB

Comment

No complaints from me. I like the length. Very very nice!!
                www.lightformfilm.com
                https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

For the grain did you add it via Impulz grain or did you underexpose?
                  www.lightformfilm.com

Comment

thanks for the feedback. glad you like it
                    grain was added with filmconvert.
                    Vimeo profile
                    VFX Showreel
                    IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
                      thanks for the feedback. glad you like it
                      grain was added with filmconvert.
                      I think it was a great choice adding the grain.
                      I recently came back from Thailand and your vid/pics make me consider adding grain to my footage lol
                      www.lightformfilm.com

Comment

haha, go for it! I usually tune in 70% intensity and use the kodak vis3 stock from filmconvert. looks very organic in my opinion.
                        Vimeo profile
                        VFX Showreel
                        IMDB

Comment

Working...
                        X