Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6min cinematic short film using BMCC

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share my recent short with you.

https://vimeo.com/114121593

Password: 5150

Steve

Originally posted by YesRush View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share my recent short with you.

https://vimeo.com/114121593

Password: 5150

Steve

Very nice. The atmosphere was great. Can you share some technical details with us maybe? ( camera, lens, lights...etc )
    Thanks

Comment

I really liked the concept.

Nice flow in the edit.
      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
        I used the 2.5k camera shooting ProRes only. After the initial giddy wave of excitement and experimentation, I find I don't use RAW much anymore.
        Used some old manual ai and ais Nikon lenses - 28mm and 85mm, as well as the cheap 50mm Canon 1.8 and the new 10-18mm which works well and gives aperture control - unlike the 10-22mm.
        A couple of chinese fluoro soft boxes for general lighting and a 150w Dedo with a homemade gobo to get some shadow effects across the faces.
        I use the camera bare, no other accessories like evf or follow focus. If I need to pull focus I'll just mark the lens with tape and have someone turn it when I want.
        The only sound I recorded on set was the dialogue, other sounds I added in post.
        Last edited by YesRush; 03-13-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I would be interested in whether the story is clear. I seem to not like not explaining everything and assuming that the audience will put 2 and 2 together, but I'm not sure if there's too little exposition.

For example - the dude lighting the cig toward the end. That should be an important moment but maybe I've shown too little. I find it's something I struggle with in writing. I feel a bit stupid explaining everything.

Critiques welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Comment

Watched this again.

Liked even more the second time. Allowed me to appreciate all your technical work even more.
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Nighttime stuff looks good, daytime footage looked clipped and effectively ungraded, many daytime interiors feature a magenta cast. Did you shoot low iso? That's going to cost you dynamic range in pro-res. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by YesRush View Post

For example - the dude lighting the cig toward the end.

Steve
                What I got was that the murders were about to repeat with the most recent buyers of the projector. And then after that the projector ended up back in shop as the owners were dead.

I thought it was good. The story is fine but pretty predictable. I watched the whole thing so that alone is a great sign!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

DPStewart: Thanks for that. Watching twice is indeed high praise. The sound design esp. certainly took me a while - the timeline looks pretty crazy.

Howie Roll: Yes, I might have to revisit the grade. Still learning. Thanks for the honesty.

Mountaineer: Yes, that's the story. The projector is a metaphor for human behaviour. It's just repeating what is has 'seen' and learned. The projector brings the killer out of the film just as it had brought the couple into the film. I like how the projector breaks the fourth wall by bringing the couple into the film after they fell asleep. Obviously not for their viewing. Its bragging to the audience about what it's about to do to them. Yes, I consider getting all the way to the end a good sign too! Thanks.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

I want to add that the film didn't cost anything. A few hundred bucks for the actors and some lunch at the cafe. For crew, I had an assistant and a sound recordist for a few hours.

Steve
                  Last edited by YesRush; 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Thanks, Roxics.

Found a couple of short outtakes while cleaning my drive last night. One where I was just watching the scene as a 'pure spectator' and forgot to hit record, which I did a few times.

https://vimeo.com/122691444

https://vimeo.com/122690199

Steve

Comment

Howdy,

My AD reminded me recently that we lit this shot at night with a $20 3 watt LED domestic clamp light.

Really shows how sensitive the wonderful BMCC is.

Steve

PS I don't know why 2 images are displayed.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by YesRush; 04-02-2015, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X