• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Pocket Cam stuff screengrabs

EDITED TO ADD: First "sorta trailer" for the flick

https://vimeo.com/133735898

ORIGINAL POST:

Way back in whatever year that was, I was on the Adorama preorder list for a Pocket Camera, and then about the time they started trickling out, I canceled my order and did basically nothing for however long it's been since then.

Recently, though, I was trolling around eBay and bidding on various Pocket Cams, and I was the high bidder on one with a bid a good deal lower than I thought would win. Within a few days, I had a very well cared-for Pocket Camera in my grubby little hands. I was already in the process of putting together a extremely low budget feature here in Dallas when I got the Pocket Cam, so I decided I would go ahead and use it. And the other day for the first day of production, use it I did (I really should have taken more time to test before I shot, but the whole movie is kind of a test anyway).

A few screengrabs:

I know they are not amazing or great or awesome stills that will change your whole life or even make it onto a list of great looking Pocket Cam shots, but I thought I'd share anyway. I shot in ProRes because I didn't have any acceptable cards that could do RAW (and I still need to figure out a RAW workflow and get over my general cowardice), and I just threw a quick preset "grade" on them. I used a relatively cheapo Nikon lens that came with my wife's D60 however many years ago that was, and I had some trouble with focus, especially since I didn't have an external monitor attached (I have gotten one since).

Overall, though, I'm really impressed with this camera. I can't believe this is something that can be had for this low of a price. And now I feel bad for my camera since it has to shoot my half-assed stuff instead of the stuff of someone with talent and an eye for good visuals.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Feel free to bring forth the hate.
    Last edited by Ryan Paige; 07-18-2015, 06:46 PM. Reason: to add trailer

Nice man! Get into raw, its worthy any time and efforts

Comment

Some More Grabs from a different night... Used a Rokinon 14mm Cine lens and had an external monitor this time. Still ProRes HQ. Quick preset grade that will need to be toyed with.

Comment

Let's play Wheel Of Fortune and guess what he was writing on the notepad.
        Is there a C in there?

Comment

Vanna does indeed walk over and turn over the 'C'. I believe that means you get to spin again.

Comment

More grabs. Starting to get the hang of using the camera.

Comment

More grabs. This was using a Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens.

These last three were in available light at the St. Paul DART Station in downtown Dallas.

Comment

The pocket camera is an amazing tool. Unmatched.

Comment

Pretty close to finished opening scene:

https://vimeo.com/126541207

Comment

Added a (sorta) trailer. See above.

Comment

Working...
                    X