BMC vs 5d MKIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMC vs 5d MKIII

Haven't seen it yet, because my internet is stupid slow right now. Hope you guys get to enjoy it, jerks.

5D/BMCC Comparison

Thanks Marco at OneRiver Media for this https://vimeo.com/49875510

Comment

Aack ryguy beat me by 1 min.
      Sorry for the double post

Comment

Downloading the original file (1.9GB) and its still only going to be less than half of what the original would be. Can anyone supply a server for this guy to upload the original without any compression?

Comment

this comparison just validated everyone who ordered this camera and is waiting patiently for it.

Comment

Great production values on this little video. Can't wait for my BMCC MFT!

Comment

The Canon L Glass looks absolutely fantastic on the BMC.

Comment

Great to see the BMC and the 5D side by side... it confirms why I waited to buy a 5D and why I'm waiting to get my pre-ordered BMC!!!!

C'mon parts supplier... let's go!!!!

Comment

And people here were going to get a refund and get a canon 5d MK3 or a GH3. Now don't they feel silly for thinking of doing so.
                  Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
                  http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Comment

Well duh! Raw 12 bit vrs h.264 420 8 bit? Still though, there is a place for both cameras. I have the Mk3 more for stills but find the video pretty darn good..

Comment

Night and day.

Comment

Too bad he neglected to mention how much more aliasing and moire existed on the BMC. See 10:06 for example in comparison to the MkIII. I also see it in the water and factory shots. Further the crossed colors which are quickly becoming a dead give away ot the BMC were never talked about. I clearly see the magenta highlights/cyan shadows cross in both his charts and many landscape shots, which I think may be a function of the same issue. We all agree the BMC is great, but fair is fair and the rainbow moire is very present.

Interesting that the two areas which have given me pause as to version 1 of this camera are showing their true colors - rolling shutter and the lack of OLPF. It's not just the form factor that resembles older DSLR's, it is unfortunately these two aspects as well.
                        For all the bashing that has gone on, the Canon Cinema series definitely does better on both of these fronts and documentarist's probably need to take that into consideration. I for one would like to see 422 HQ output from a recorder on a C300/C100 vs the same output from the BMC. I suspect people might be surprised at how much closer those cameras are with a recorder.

5D MkIII
                        Screen shot 2012-09-21 at 6.36.39 AM.jpg

BMC
                        Screen shot 2012-09-21 at 6.36.12 AM.jpg
                        Last edited by yoclay; 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM.
                        If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

Comment

Originally posted by yoclay View Post
                          Too bad he neglected to mention how much more aliasing and moire existed on the BMC. See 10:06 for example in comparison to the MkIII. I also see it in the water and factory shots. Further the crossed colors which are quickly becoming a dead give away ot the BMC were never talked about. I clearly see the magenta highlights/cyan shadows cross in both his charts and many landscape shots. We all agree the BMC is great, but fair is fair and the rainbow moire is very present.
                          Interesting that the two areas which have given me pause as to version 1 of this camera are showing their true colors - rolling shutter and the lack of OLPF. It's not just the form factor that resembles older DSLR's, it is unfortunately these two aspects as well.
                          For all the bashing that has gone on, the Canon Cinema series definitely does better on both of these fronts and documentarist's probably need to take that into consideration. I for one would like to see 422 HQ output from a recorder on a C300/C100 vs the same output from the BMC. I suspect people might be surprised at how much closer those cameras are with a recorder.
                          I own a 5diii and it is very much improved in the aliasing and moire' department, but keep in mind that with tools like Lightroom 4's moire brush, you can really clean much of this up for bmc shots. It's not perfect, and an extra step in post isn't ideal, but it's an option.

I also would bet that there will be an AA filter available for this camera, maybe from a 3rd party like Mosaic Engineering.
                          www.motionplaces.com
                          andrewjulian

Comment

download the original file video. Compression for vimeo is adding artifacts
                            Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
                            http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yoclay View Post
                              Too bad he neglected to mention how much more aliasing and moire existed on the BMC. See 10:06 for example in comparison to the MkIII. I also see it in the water and factory shots. Further the crossed colors which are quickly becoming a dead give away ot the BMC were never talked about. I clearly see the magenta highlights/cyan shadows cross in both his charts and many landscape shots, which I think may be a function of the same issue. We all agree the BMC is great, but fair is fair and the rainbow moire is very present.

5D MkIII
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1142[/ATTACH]

BMC
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1143[/ATTACH]
                              You know what, with all due respect and not to be rude, but who gives a crap about the technical pixel stuff, the image is movie like and beautiful, seriously the flaws may even be the strengths of the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X