• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Glass

I am really loving my 50mm NIKKOR 1.4

I shot this today with it stopped down to 2.8
    Frame001696.jpg
    DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2f2o9v937...rame001696.dng

What other vintage lenses do you guys like?
    -Michael Beck

Definitely a beautiful lens Michael. Curious, do you happen to know how vintage it is? I've put together a set of Leica R primes varying in age from the 80s to early 2000s.

Comment

I just got a Zeiss Jena 50mm/4 Flektogon. It was made sometime between 1963-67. It's my first vintage lens & I'm really liking it.
      http://lightpix.tumblr.com

Comment

I just got a Zeiss Jena 50mm pentacon six too. Picking up the 80mm soon.

Comment

Man, I've been lusting over those Jena lenses too after Frank posted pics of his in the 'Big Guns' thread. I'd love to see how those look on the BMC! Do you guys know how wide those get? Is it only like 25mm or something?

@mbeck - so how are you feeling with your 50mm as far as shooting distance? Do you feel llke you're miles away? So much that it might be a challenge? I'm just curious because I have a set of Nikkors (only as wide as 24mm so far) and I'm still pondering the Nikkor 18mm Ai or the Tokina....

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Sonnenfeld View Post
            Definitely a beautiful lens Michael. Curious, do you happen to know how vintage it is? I've put together a set of Leica R primes varying in age from the 80s to early 2000s.
            Supposedly this one is from 1967-72 range. I really want to get the 35mm 2.8 version its only like $100.

Originally posted by CineMac View Post
            @mbeck - so how are you feeling with your 50mm as far as shooting distance? Do you feel llke you're miles away? So much that it might be a challenge? I'm just curious because I have a set of Nikkors (only as wide as 24mm so far) and I'm still pondering the Nikkor 18mm Ai or the Tokina....
            It does seem that I am a bit far away, but for most interview setups its not bad.

By the way.. I have yet to use my Tokina for and interview though. It usually makes me uncomfortably close to the subject. I tend to use my Tamron 17-50 @ around 20-35mm. Or just back up and use the NIKKOR 50mm
            -Michael Beck

Comment

Man, I've been lusting over those Jena lenses too after Frank posted pics of his in the 'Big Guns' thread. I'd love to see how those look on the BMC! Do you guys know how wide those get? Is it only like 25mm or something?
              Here's a conversion chart for those lenses field of view from medium format to full frame. http://www.pentaconsix.com/35mmequiv.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jglucks View Post
                Here's a conversion chart for those lenses field of view from medium format to full frame. http://www.pentaconsix.com/35mmequiv.htm
                Here is the abelcine one, it's great

http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Comment

Nice exposrure.

Light source is a bit strange? CFL?

S

Frame001696 1.jpg
                  Frame001696.jpg

Comment

For the vintage glass I had been shooting a lot lately with Super Takumars from the 60's. I did though just pick up the Mamiya/Sekor 55mm F1.4 from 1959. I've been very pleased with the sharpness of the old glass, and the Mamiya/Sekor is supposed to be the same optics as the Zeiss Planar. I really like how the vintage glass looks. I also have a full set of Minolta primes with some Vivitars mixed in, but I won't be able to use those for the EF mount. The work nice on the E mount though...

Comment

Most of my glass is Leica R from 21mm to 180, but with a few gaps. I do have a rather nice 20mm f/2.8 Zeiss Flektogon and a radioactive 35mm f/2.0 SMC Takumar that's tack sharp.

I'm thinking I may have to look at SLR Magic or Voightlander alternatives for the BMC.

Comment

My favourite is the Helios 44-2 58mm F2, it's a classic, basically a carl zeiss biotar.

Comment

A quick grade in Photoshop.

Frame001696.jpg

Thanks for the DNG, mbeck.

Toni

Comment

Wow, that is SHARP. I have a theory that the BMC really pushes lenses, and the lower quality ones start to really show their ugly side with softness and CA. Sure the crop uses the "better" part of the lens, but its also magnifying its flaws. This one stopped down looks amazing. Also super excited because I have this lens hehe.

EDIT: Comparing side by side of my grade in photoshop vs the uploaded version, it has shifted too yellow and the skin tones are messed up. Weird.

Frame001696.jpg
                            Last edited by RyGuy; 09-19-2012, 02:19 AM.

Comment

question....have you any of you used a follow focus on a supertukmar 50mm? I have it and i'm considering getting a follow focus but that lens is pretty short and I don't know if i'd have problems with it.
                              Darren Scott
                              Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Working...
                              X