Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmy's Poor Choice

Old school....

Hahaha! Dude, that was off the hook! Wow, you really nailed that old style! I'm just old enough to have still had those kinds of films shown to us in early school years.
    The monologue, the edits! The music...everything. That's a work of art man! I don't know how many folks can still appreciate it, but you nailed it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

You make my heart glow with gladness!
      My wife was thinking "Nobody is going to know what you're referencing with this." I half feared she was right. Thanks for the kind word- I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed doing this so much that I'm making a 2 minute version that has some more shots and awkward edits & narration, along with title card, etc.

Comment

Good stuff, Keith! Cleared for judging.
        Stephen Mick
        Creative Director
        UPG Video
        www.upgvideo.com

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page atůhttps://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
        And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel atůhttps://vimeo.com/channels/558731

Comment

Amazing.
          Even from spain I could get it thanks to the Simpsons.

I enjoyed it a lot, thx.

Comment

Alright - I have watched and commented on many entries.

This one might not get my highest rating for information content, but it solidly gets my HIGHEST rating for cinematic technique, editing, and audio.
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

This is so so good! You did an amazing job capturing the feeling of these vintage ads/PSAs. The soundtrack, voice over effects, grade and jump cuts are all spot on. It looks like he was drinking out of a glass bottle and I took the "plastic" text on the recycling bin as another nice touch to illicit the shoddy production values of the times.

On first viewing, I found the waiting for friends section to drag on a few beats too long. The pacing seemed great throughout on subsequent viewings.

I love videos like this that have a great concept and have relatively simple productions. Concept and execution are key and you did both with aplomb!

Comment

As someone who loves to dig through archival footage I have to say that you nailed the 16mm classroom film look and feel. May I ask what you used to generate your grain and look?

Comment

This was a bit too much 50s pas and not enough Moonrise Kingdom, satirical. Very static, relying on voice over, it continued in the same vein too long.
                  Filmmaker - Author
                  https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Unlike the previous comment I thought it was great!
                    You have to get that old school PSA satire humour, and I guess not everybody likes it but I did.

I went to look at Duck and Cover on youtube after seeing that and had a good laugh.
                    You nailed it, nicely ridiculous like ducking down to escape a nuclear blast; Timmy gets zapped by the recycle bin.

"It's better than kissing girls!"
                    Hahhahaha

Comment

Thanks, everybody -- even you, Joe!

Gotta say that the idea of doing a straight up recycling PSA didn't excite me, but spoofing a PSA did. So yeah, this one won't convince anybody to recycle, but I'm glad that folks at least enjoyed the 1 minute of life they spent on it.

As for the grain and stuff... well, that's not a simple deal. I used a bunch of different LUTs and plug ins and processes all mixed together from Resolve/Premiere and After Effects. A little Impulz Kodak stock, a little Film Convert Fuji stock, a little Magic Bullet Looks vintage, a little home grown node noodling of my own. There really wasn't a simple one-click out of the box solution that gave me exactly what I wanted, but I knew if I kept banging on it then the look would come. The original footage was shot on a super sharp Zeiss 10-100mm T2 T* cinema zoom which looked extremely good, but not on style at all. I wanted to use my Angie or Cooke zooms since they have a more vintage 16mm vibe, but they didn't have as big a zoom range as the Zeiss. I wanted to shoot fast and loose with just one lens.

Specializing in crappy production values since 1969.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Keith- sure didn't look like you hit filter then-> render! Great overall look and thanks for sharing some of the process. A bit jealous of your lens collection! You nailed the genre for sure!

Comment

I have to admit, I was a little thrown by the zap at the end. But it's a minor quibble- you nailed everything else, especially the voiceover. Thumbs up.

Comment

Taylor-- I got lucky ran into some pretty nice deals on the lenses and I'm a sucker for a nice old lens, but even so I'm not sure I ought to keep all of them. I look around my studio and I have way, way too many lenses here. heh. Don't be jealous, it's a disease I have. A disease!

ahall--- I ran out of time to add the sound effect for the zap. Well, let me rephrase that-- I HAD the sound effect for the zap, but I accidentally left that audio channel muted when I rendered it out. By the time I had uploaded the entry it was already like 15 minutes to closing time, so I just left it. I have a longer 2 minute version of this I'm wrapping up next week just for giggles and in that I fix some of my mistakes. I'll post it here when it's done.

Thanks again for the feedback, folks!

Comment

Old school! This one was fun to watch. I think you nailed the look, feel, and sound of those old education movies. I have mixed feelings on the ending. To me the visual effects look too clean and don't seem to fit in with the rest of the piece. But very creative and entertaining to watch.
                              Tim Veal
                              http://sandstoneproductions.net
                              My blog

Comment

Working...
                              X