Clear All

• "Recycle for the Future" - schulein - SpotFest 2015 Entry

http://youtu.be/9CQogVrHd40

Written/Directed/Edited by Bob Schulein
    Sound/Music by Charles Essien

Mom: Kate Schulein
    Kiddo: Hattie Schulein
    Baby bump: Eloise Schulein

Special jury prize for acting goes to "baby bump" by Eloise.

Nice job. Cleared for judging.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page atůhttps://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
    And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel atůhttps://vimeo.com/channels/558731

Comment

Cute spot. Clean audio adds a lot. Maybe a half stop over exposed, but nice. Last shot had something on the very far left edge of the screen in front of the lens- the bannister on the porch maybe? Congrats on a nice piece.

Comment

Yeah...this probably wins the Cute award!

+1 for the good audio too.
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I don't want to know how many takes it took to hit that first line! Very cute, and a great way to get the family into the show. My wife and I worked together..... once. Lol

Comment

If it's aimed at toddlers it's good. If aimed at the rest of us, it treats us like toddlers.
            Filmmaker - Author
            https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Great! I went the same route and I will tell you that great minds think alike

Focused on inter-generational relationship and the necessity to recycle for the future of YOUR children.

Great production value except for what keithlango (again what an eye that man has to spot all the mistakes said about that last shot on the left.

I love it. Apparently Joe hates it, probably because it's too cute. Don't worry about it; Joe also hates puppies and kittens, and yet most people loves them!

Comment

I liked seeing a variety of shots, and the pace of the editing was on point. Solid work.

Comment

townio... Ha! Yeah, I do have a bit of a critical eye for what's off. Occupational hazard of a career pixel poker. But at least I like puppies!

Comment

First off, as someone who always uses his kids in the "just for fun" projects and knows all the pain that entails, hats off for finishing the spot with your daughter! I liked your concept and I think the music was a good fit for it. On my computer it did sound like there was a little distortion in the audio during the part when the mom was describing what type of things can be recycled. Other than that it looked good to me.
                    Tim Veal
                    http://sandstoneproductions.net
                    My blog

Comment

Thanks so much for all the feedback! It's very much appreciated. Even when it's for the crap I did wrong that I know I did wrong. I hate when that crap gets called out

The kiddo surprisingly delivered the "I'm all done" line on the first take. Great, I thought, this will be easy. Never get cocky. Not with kids. She immediately turned into the biggest diva and it took a ton of effort to get anything else out of her. I had planned my shots to get all her takes first but didn't anticipate how quickly she would lose it. We managed to get all the interiors of her and my wife done that day but had to stop. And then my wife went into labor the next morning!

We were sent home from the hospital when labor wasn't progressing but were told we'd likely be back very soon. We waited around at home a few hours and then the contractions stopped. I very, very tentatively asked my wife if she was up for trying to film a bit and she surprisingly agreed. The kiddo was again the most uncooperative diva and I considered myself lucky to get a single semi-usable take for each shot without any sound. (hence the phantom banister on the last shot - I figured it would be quick enough that nobody would notice - but you guys are far too sophisticated for that! Should have cropped in. Also hence some of the rough dialogue).

The baby was born a couple days later. We filmed all the outside closeups and recorded dialogue after we were home. I'm proud that the story was actually able to hold together through all this. Some of the recorded dialogue definitely didn't match up to the video but I learned a lot in my first experience doing ADR and hope to do better next time. I mostly do solo documentary work where I can plant a camera and focus on the talent or focus solely on camera operations for B-roll. It really doesn't work that well to try to direct your family and operate the camera at the same time!

I really do appreciate all the feedback, whether it be with sugar or straight up. I wanted the audience to enjoy seeing a mom teach her daughter. I didn't anticipate that would leave certain parts of the audience feeling like they were being spoken to as a toddler so that was a good note. This was a blast, looking forward to the next one.

Cheers!
                      -Bob

Comment

Dang, Bob. Knowing the full backstory I gotta say that I'm left with a greater appreciation of what it took to pull this off. Kudos to your wife for being such a good sport thru it all.

Comment

This is a very nice story acting as a vehicle for education and instruction. It would be interesting to explore the "question/answer" dialog between mother and child to increase the natural learning aspect all parents can relate to. I want to see and hear MORE KID.

Comment

Working...
                          X