Official manual and utility available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil View Post
    But is there yet a canon compatible lanc controller that has iris control? Point me to one & I will owe you a beer!
    I wonder if these would work.
    http://www.varizoom.com/lanc-control...non-s/1816.htm
    Last edited by mbeck; 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM. Reason: forgot link!
    -Michael Beck

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
      Does it mean, if my brightest part of the image is the actor, I should expose his face so it just not clips??
      I am from a videobackground and that makes me cringe. To brightly exposed faces with cinegammas destroy skin.
      Yeah, no way would that be good technique. You can't overexpose skin like that and expect the color channels to hold. We will have to test for how high you can take it, but in general you don't ever want skin exposed above about 80 IRE at the very hottest, or you'll risk clipping the red channel and changing the color rendition of the skin.

Comment

So should one expose faces the same with RAW as with compressed codec?

Comment

Originally posted by Osslund View Post
          So should one expose faces the same with RAW as with compressed codec?
          Exposure is about how much light is hitting the sensor, and if the exposure is too hot and the red channel clips, there's nothing about raw that will save that. Overexposure means lost detail, regardless of how you record it.

On the Red One, a raw camera, they actually implemented traffic lights to let you know when any particular color channel was overexposing. That's probably the ideal way to do it, and I don't know if the BMC offers traffic lights or not, but it would be nice if they did.

Raw does change things in some ways; frankly I'd rather have a red/green/blue waveform rather than a combined waveform on a raw camera, because on a combined waveform you are seeing only the results of the combined formula, not what the individual channels are doing. On video, combined is fine (even though some of the same problems apply).

In zebras or on a combined waveform, you have to understand that you're seeing the results of red, green, and blue all combined. And so when you see 60 IRE, you might have nice solid exposure or drastically overexposed footage depending on what you're shooting -- if you're shooting a blue screen and you get it up to 60 IRE, you're going to have totally blown out blue... the way the formula works for IRE, it's basically 59% green, 30% red, 11% blue... so if you're shooting something that's pure blue, you'd have 0% made from green, 0% red, and 100% blue... and since blue only makes up 11% of the signal, that means your total IRE value would be 0*59% + 0*30% + 100 * 11%, which adds up to : 11 IRE. For 100% pure saturated blue, it'll show up on your waveform monitor at 11 IRE. That's a problem if you go into it thinking that "proper exposure" = 50 IRE!

So, the thing about raw is that you want to make sure the individual color channels are recorded accurately, not blown out or crushed. As long as they're recorded accurately, with the proper ratio between each of them, then you can record them anywhere and push them anywhere. But if they're recorded wrong (i.e., one is blown out or one is crushed) then the ratio between them will be wrong, and that's a lot tougher to fix in post.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeck View Post
            ... Your camera contains a fan which is necessary for cooling. If you detect that the fan is not working, or that it is making a strange noise, switch off the camera and order a replacement fan by contacting Blackmagic Design Support.

User replaceable fan! Nice! the one moving part in the thin can be replaced in the field without having to send the camera in. Awesome! ...
            If the cost of the fan is relatively low, I'll probably order one from BMD ASAP as a spare, thereby all but guaranteeing the fan in my BMCC will never fail. I believe it's called the "Umbrella Effect". ;-)
            www.peterdv.com
            Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by mhood View Post
              I hear you loud and clear. I was actually told to buy a Mac on the BMD Website. Unbelievable!
              I'll suggest it again: An old, used Mac Mini ($100 - $200 ?) is capable of properly formatting a SSD in an inexpensive external caddie/cradle. Guaranteed proper HFS formatting (if someone is concerned about MacDrive for any reason), and the Mini could be useful for other purposes depending on how recent it is. Minis work with standard USB peripherals and VGA & other monitors, etc.

Not an ideal solution, and not free, but not overly expensive.

Reliable, and available today. Cheers.
              www.peterdv.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
                If the cost of the fan is relatively low, I'll probably order one from BMD ASAP as a spare, thereby all but guaranteeing the fan in my BMCC will never fail. I believe it's called the "Umbrella Effect". ;-)
                LOL, yeah we call that "making Murphy's Law work for you!"

I will likely do the same!
                -Michael Beck

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                  But is there yet a canon compatible lanc controller that has iris control? Point me to one & I will owe you a beer!
                  The BMD Support page lists the Manfrotto, and it has an Iris button in the centre of the controls and it's compatible with Canon, right? I don't drink so you can have the beer on me!
                  http://www.manfrotto.com/rc-pan-bar-lanc

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    Worth noting for those not aware, any electronic device sold within the EU comes with a manditory 24month warrenty regardless of what the seller/manufacturer states.

(a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC). In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.)
                    ...but is the BMC considered "Consumer Goods" or would it fall under something like business or industrial equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
                      I'll suggest it again: An old, used Mac Mini ($100 - $200 ?) .
                      Not a bad idea, especially if you also add that to it:

Gets you USB3 for fast download and some more goodies.
                      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                        Not a bad idea, especially if you also add that to it: ...
                        Gets you USB3 for fast download and some more goodies.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. However, I just checked with OWC who sell that NewerTech "miniStack" box, and all it is is an external drive enclosure with a SD reader slot and optionally a optical disc bay.

It does not, for example, "add" USB3 to a computer that doesn't already have it. In other words, it doesn't convert between eSATA or FW800 or USB-3. Those ports are just there to connect the miniStack (and its internal drive/media card) to the computer.
                        www.peterdv.com

Comment

Working...
                        X