• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonis
    replied
    Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    This loupe isn't out yet right?
    Nope, not yet. Trial production runs before holidays are quite a mess. But the messiah will be born soon

Leave a comment:

• AndreeOnline
    replied
    Just came here today to see if there's any news?

This loupe isn't out yet right?

Leave a comment:

• Fauxto
    replied
    That's good to know, Tonis. Just to be sure, this eyecushion fits, right?

https://kinotehnik.myshopify.com/col...ts/eyecushions

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    Originally posted by Fauxto View Post
    Only thing I noticed: I've used it a lot before, but this time I was wearing contact lenses and the eyeball got a little too close to the lens and caused some condensation. Maybe the rubber of the prototype's eyepiece is a bit too soft, but for me, it works better with my normal glasses on, the eyepiece accomodates them perfectly.
    Thank you.
    Actually the LCDVF BM5 uses the exact same silicone eyecup that our electronic viewfinder (LCDVFe) used to have.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfBI-Q9c6I

And indeed, as it is sa large and generous as it is, it might get some condensation. It can be overcome with different viewing/shooting techniques and by using the included eye cushion - it helps a lot.

T

Leave a comment:

• Fauxto
    replied
    Two of my friends just got married and I used the Pocket 4K with a prototype of the LCDVF BM5 Tonis sent me (https://www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5/) as a light setup to record it all.

Just the camera, the loupe, the Lumix 12-35, a 128 GB card and four batteries. Worked like a charm.

The lens inside the loupe is very good, and the setup provides a third point for support for stability. Only thing I noticed: I've used it a lot before, but this time I was wearing contact lenses and the eyeball got a little too close to the lens and caused some condensation. Maybe the rubber of the prototype's eyepiece is a bit too soft, but for me, it works better with my normal glasses on, the eyepiece accomodates them perfectly.

Here are some framegrabs, everything is Braw Q5. Before Xmas I'll post a video:

A003_11261753_C014.00_02_30_06.Still020.jpg

A003_11261753_C014.00_58_15_20.Still013.jpg

A003_11261753_C014.01_06_36_22.Still017.jpgA003_11261753_C014.01_39_16_23.Still006.jpgA003_11261753_C014.00_39_51_02.Still017.jpg
    Last edited by Fauxto; 12-02-2019, 04:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starman
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonis View Post
    If you are on the BMPCC 4K 6K, LCDVF BM5 preorder or interest list @ www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5 you will be notified soon.
    For worldwide coverage: BH Photo Video will have those Blackmagic 5-inch viewfinders in about 6 weeks with CVP pending.
    Casting, grinding and coating those achromatic lenses for the eyepiece is a truly time-consuming process in large quantities even if we have done that for the past ten years for 3" and 3.2" screens like found on the Canon 5D III-IV and 1DX III or the 3.5" one of the original BMPCC.
    This time the sheer 5" diagonal of the screen requires more than double the aperture to provide the sharpest image - edge to edge.

But if you have an interesting, or let's say "sponsorable", project coming up maybe we can provide you with a 3D printed one, it takes about 48 hours to make, PM me.

All the best,
    T
    Thanks, I'll wait till bh has them. You know if eBay or amazon might sell them?

Starman55

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    If you are on the BMPCC 4K 6K, LCDVF BM5 preorder or interest list @ www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5 you will be notified soon.
    For worldwide coverage: BH Photo Video will have those Blackmagic 5-inch viewfinders in about 6 weeks with CVP pending.
    Casting, grinding and coating those achromatic lenses for the eyepiece is a truly time-consuming process in large quantities even if we have done that for the past ten years for 3" and 3.2" screens like found on the Canon 5D III-IV and 1DX III or the 3.5" one of the original BMPCC.
    This time the sheer 5" diagonal of the screen requires more than double the aperture to provide the sharpest image - edge to edge.

But if you have an interesting, or let's say "sponsorable", project coming up maybe we can provide you with a 3D printed one, it takes about 48 hours to make, PM me.

All the best,
    T
    Last edited by Tonis; 11-28-2019, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starman
    replied
    Where can I buy one?

Starman55

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    BMPCC_6K_24mm_LCDVF_BM5.jpg
    And into the production it went...

T

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?
    Hi,

It might be possible, depending on your prescription: Tested on my mum with +2: Was successful
    Besides our original diopter kit, one could play around with any 46mm threaded macro close up lens to correct for vision.
    Albeit all diopter lens come only in "+" positive increasements.

T

Leave a comment:

• AndreeOnline
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonis View Post
    What do you think?

T
    Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    Looking good!

AR coated Achromatic eyepiece for the LCDVF BM5

Achtomatic_eyepiece_AR_coated_LCDVF_BM5.jpg

What do you think?

T
    Last edited by Tonis; 11-01-2019, 03:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.
    Thank You, Sir.

Getting to the original LCDVF design was quite a ride. Back in the day when 3D printing was expensive and there was no Kickstarter available.

I found an old rendering of the different stages that led to the archetype of the most popular and countlessly copied design:

LCDVF_evolution_canon_5D_MKII.jpg

But it all began from here:
    Hasselblad_chimney_loupe.jpg

T

Leave a comment:

• AndreeOnline
    replied
    Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.

Leave a comment:

• Tonis
    replied
    I don't quite get this.

Did you make an original design that you printed yourself? And now this has been picked up by Kinotehnik? Or are you part of Kinotehnik?

As soon as the P4K got released I contacted them about a loupe, since I've been using an LCDVF since the Canon 5D mkII. They had no plans at the time. Then, a while back they contacted me to put me on their mailing list as they were developing a loupe now.

But Kinotehnik has been making loupes a long time. Why did they need your design to get their thumbs out?

The launch was planned for late September but has now been moved to late November, as they made some modifications. Do you know anything about that?

None of this really matters.... as long as they get the loupe out. I'm just curious. I did write on their Facebook page that I'd much prefer if the finish of the loupe can be made identical to their other loupes, or the body of the camera. The images I've seen of this design has looked a bit too "shiny" and "sparkly/glittery".

Please fill in the gaps of this story!
    I'm indeed the designer of the now-iconic, original, LCDVF and all other LCDVF models for different cameras/screens.
    It has been more than 10 years since the launch of the LCDVF for 5D MKII.

At one point it seemed impossible/impractical to design and manufacture an achromatic eyepiece for 5" screens as it requires quite a large diameter and thickness which is commercially hard to achieve.
    When the BMPCC 6K came out it got my personal attention as a filmmaker and I designed one for myself. As weeks and months have passed ever since the demand has risen even more for such a product so we began to gauge interest from our dealers too.

The finish on the photos is a galaxy black 3D printing filament for prototyping - no worries about the commercial looks.

Some have asked why it doesn't have a built-in diopter correction, the answer is because of the eyepiece to screen size ratio. Even when we add diopter correction lens(es) the image quality from edge to edge deteriorates quite a bit - read, blurred corners.
    But as with the original LCDVF it can be used with glasses, especially with the Bluestar eye cushion.

Albeit it will have a nice, decorative, element around the neck (black, once anodized)

IMG_7404_BM5.jpg

All the best,
    T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X