Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCDVF for BMPCC 4K / 6K

Hello, my first post here after 6 years of reading

But look what I just got from 3D printer!

20190820_193746.jpg

20190820_194030.jpg

The optics in the eyepiece have a diameter of over 2" to accommodate a screen as big as 5"

This is my original design BTW.

All the best,
    T
    Last edited by Tonis; 09-05-2019, 02:25 AM.

If anyone is interested it could be made into a real product.
    (Albeit I assume that then we can not talk about it on here anymore as it interferes with the forum rules.)

Got some great feedback at IBC:

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 10.34.44.jpg

Let me know,
    T

Comment

Originally posted by Tonis View Post
      (Albeit I assume that then we can not talk about it on here anymore as it interferes with the forum rules.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28276[/ATTACH]

Let me know,
      T
      If it could be matched with a small, good value monitor, I'd VEY interested in this - congrats for the great effort!

Comment

Looks good, I think it could be marketed, their has been a lot of interest in a loupe/hood like this. I would be interested in one.
        Cheers

Comment

I'd be interested as well. A loupe's cheap, effective, and helps stabilize as a third support point for the camera.
          Last edited by Fauxto; 10-04-2019, 02:34 AM.
          Álex Montoya on IMDB
          https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Originally posted by Tonis View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28276[/ATTACH]

Let me know,
            T
            Make it, I*ll buy it.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

The main "problem" right now is that the achromatic lens in the eyepiece might take the street price quite high once it arrives at BH for example...

lcdvfbm5-2.jpg

lcdvfbm5.jpg

Comment

High around what, more or less?

Looks very nice!
                Álex Montoya on IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by Fauxto View Post
                  High around what, more or less?

Looks very nice!
                  Hi,
                  Pricing around 170-180 USD.
                  And it would use only optional diopter correction lenses to avoid cropping/obscuring the corners of the screen.

T

Comment

Not bad at all.
                    Álex Montoya on IMDB

Comment

Took a quick shot for comparison between the original LCDVF BM and its big brother BM5 achromatic eyepiece lenses:
                      IMG_7397.jpg

Some nice CNC machined components for the eyepiece:
                      IMG_7388.jpg

And some random stuff:
                      IMG_7394.jpg

All the best,
                      T
                      Last edited by Tonis; 10-21-2019, 04:33 AM.

Comment

So you're from Kinotehnik? I bought a LCDVF from you for my old 550D. It worked really well. Light and clear.
                        Álex Montoya on IMDB

Comment

I don't quite get this.

Did you make an original design that you printed yourself? And now this has been picked up by Kinotehnik? Or are you part of Kinotehnik?

As soon as the P4K got released I contacted them about a loupe, since I've been using a LCDVF since the Canon 5D mkII. They had no plans at the time. Then, a while back they contacted me to put me on their mailing list as they were developing a loupe now.

But Kinotehnik has been making loupes a long time. Why did they need your design to get their thumbs out?

The launch was planned to late September but has now been moved to late November, as they made some modifications. Do you know anything about that?

None of this really matters.... as long as they get the loupe out. I'm just curious. I did write on their Facebook page that I'd much prefer if the finish of the loupe can be made identical to their other loupes, or the body of the camera. The images I've seen of this design has looked a bit too "shiny" and "sparkly/glittery".

Please fill in the gaps of this story!

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
                            I don't quite get this.

Did you make an original design that you printed yourself? And now this has been picked up by Kinotehnik? Or are you part of Kinotehnik?

As soon as the P4K got released I contacted them about a loupe, since I've been using an LCDVF since the Canon 5D mkII. They had no plans at the time. Then, a while back they contacted me to put me on their mailing list as they were developing a loupe now.

But Kinotehnik has been making loupes a long time. Why did they need your design to get their thumbs out?

The launch was planned for late September but has now been moved to late November, as they made some modifications. Do you know anything about that?

None of this really matters.... as long as they get the loupe out. I'm just curious. I did write on their Facebook page that I'd much prefer if the finish of the loupe can be made identical to their other loupes, or the body of the camera. The images I've seen of this design has looked a bit too "shiny" and "sparkly/glittery".

Please fill in the gaps of this story!
                            I'm indeed the designer of the now-iconic, original, LCDVF and all other LCDVF models for different cameras/screens.
                            It has been more than 10 years since the launch of the LCDVF for 5D MKII.

At one point it seemed impossible/impractical to design and manufacture an achromatic eyepiece for 5" screens as it requires quite a large diameter and thickness which is commercially hard to achieve.
                            When the BMPCC 6K came out it got my personal attention as a filmmaker and I designed one for myself. As weeks and months have passed ever since the demand has risen even more for such a product so we began to gauge interest from our dealers too.

The finish on the photos is a galaxy black 3D printing filament for prototyping - no worries about the commercial looks.

Some have asked why it doesn't have a built-in diopter correction, the answer is because of the eyepiece to screen size ratio. Even when we add diopter correction lens(es) the image quality from edge to edge deteriorates quite a bit - read, blurred corners.
                            But as with the original LCDVF it can be used with glasses, especially with the Bluestar eye cushion.

Albeit it will have a nice, decorative, element around the neck (black, once anodized)

IMG_7404_BM5.jpg

All the best,
                            T

Comment

Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.

Comment

Working...
                              X