LCDVF for BMPCC 4K / 6K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.
    Thank You, Sir.

Getting to the original LCDVF design was quite a ride. Back in the day when 3D printing was expensive and there was no Kickstarter available.

I found an old rendering of the different stages that led to the archetype of the most popular and countlessly copied design:

LCDVF_evolution_canon_5D_MKII.jpg

But it all began from here:
    Hasselblad_chimney_loupe.jpg

T

Comment

Looking good!

AR coated Achromatic eyepiece for the LCDVF BM5

Achtomatic_eyepiece_AR_coated_LCDVF_BM5.jpg

What do you think?

T
      Last edited by Tonis; 11-01-2019, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonis View Post
        What do you think?

T
        Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?

Comment

Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?
          Hi,

It might be possible, depending on your prescription: Tested on my mum with +2: Was successful
          Besides our original diopter kit, one could play around with any 46mm threaded macro close up lens to correct for vision.
          Albeit all diopter lens come only in "+" positive increasements.

T

Comment

BMPCC_6K_24mm_LCDVF_BM5.jpg
            And into the production it went...

T

Comment

Where can I buy one?

Starman55

Comment

If you are on the BMPCC 4K 6K, LCDVF BM5 preorder or interest list @ www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5 you will be notified soon.
                For worldwide coverage: BH Photo Video will have those Blackmagic 5-inch viewfinders in about 6 weeks with CVP pending.
                Casting, grinding and coating those achromatic lenses for the eyepiece is a truly time-consuming process in large quantities even if we have done that for the past ten years for 3" and 3.2" screens like found on the Canon 5D III-IV and 1DX III or the 3.5" one of the original BMPCC.
                This time the sheer 5" diagonal of the screen requires more than double the aperture to provide the sharpest image - edge to edge.

But if you have an interesting, or let's say "sponsorable", project coming up maybe we can provide you with a 3D printed one, it takes about 48 hours to make, PM me.

All the best,
                T
                Last edited by Tonis; 11-28-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonis View Post
                  If you are on the BMPCC 4K 6K, LCDVF BM5 preorder or interest list @ www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5 you will be notified soon.
                  For worldwide coverage: BH Photo Video will have those Blackmagic 5-inch viewfinders in about 6 weeks with CVP pending.
                  Casting, grinding and coating those achromatic lenses for the eyepiece is a truly time-consuming process in large quantities even if we have done that for the past ten years for 3" and 3.2" screens like found on the Canon 5D III-IV and 1DX III or the 3.5" one of the original BMPCC.
                  This time the sheer 5" diagonal of the screen requires more than double the aperture to provide the sharpest image - edge to edge.

But if you have an interesting, or let's say "sponsorable", project coming up maybe we can provide you with a 3D printed one, it takes about 48 hours to make, PM me.

All the best,
                  T
                  Thanks, I'll wait till bh has them. You know if eBay or amazon might sell them?

Starman55

Comment

Two of my friends just got married and I used the Pocket 4K with a prototype of the LCDVF BM5 Tonis sent me (https://www.kinotehnik.com/lcdvfbm5/) as a light setup to record it all.

Just the camera, the loupe, the Lumix 12-35, a 128 GB card and four batteries. Worked like a charm.

The lens inside the loupe is very good, and the setup provides a third point for support for stability. Only thing I noticed: I've used it a lot before, but this time I was wearing contact lenses and the eyeball got a little too close to the lens and caused some condensation. Maybe the rubber of the prototype's eyepiece is a bit too soft, but for me, it works better with my normal glasses on, the eyepiece accomodates them perfectly.

Here are some framegrabs, everything is Braw Q5. Before Xmas I'll post a video:

A003_11261753_C014.00_02_30_06.Still020.jpg

A003_11261753_C014.00_58_15_20.Still013.jpg

A003_11261753_C014.01_06_36_22.Still017.jpgA003_11261753_C014.01_39_16_23.Still006.jpgA003_11261753_C014.00_39_51_02.Still017.jpg
                    Last edited by Fauxto; 12-02-2019, 04:17 AM.
                    Álex Montoya on IMDB
                    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Originally posted by Fauxto View Post
                      Only thing I noticed: I've used it a lot before, but this time I was wearing contact lenses and the eyeball got a little too close to the lens and caused some condensation. Maybe the rubber of the prototype's eyepiece is a bit too soft, but for me, it works better with my normal glasses on, the eyepiece accomodates them perfectly.
                      Thank you.
                      Actually the LCDVF BM5 uses the exact same silicone eyecup that our electronic viewfinder (LCDVFe) used to have.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfBI-Q9c6I

And indeed, as it is sa large and generous as it is, it might get some condensation. It can be overcome with different viewing/shooting techniques and by using the included eye cushion - it helps a lot.

T

Comment

That's good to know, Tonis. Just to be sure, this eyecushion fits, right?

https://kinotehnik.myshopify.com/col...ts/eyecushions
                        Álex Montoya on IMDB
                        https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Just came here today to see if there's any news?

This loupe isn't out yet right?

Comment

This loupe isn't out yet right?
                            Nope, not yet. Trial production runs before holidays are quite a mess. But the messiah will be born soon

Comment

Working...
                            X