PDA

View Full Version : EOSHD: A guide to the best wide angle lenses for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 8/30/12

Steve4505
09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
EOSHD: A guide to the best wide angle lenses for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (http://www.eoshd.com/content/8854/the-best-wide-angle-lenses-for-the-blackmagic-cinema-camera) Well done article IMHO.

Cedric Akins
09-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Nice article, but it is strange to see how suddenly everyone want to place the dslr as the standard when comparing the lens mm and angle of view/ field of view. Film ha been the standard that digital cameras have tried to meet or surpass.

nihilessence
09-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Nice article, but it is strange to see how suddenly everyone want to place the dslr as the standard when comparing the lens mm and angle of view/ field of view. Film ha been the standard that digital cameras have tried to meet or surpass.

It's not strange when you consider the market the 'magic-cam caters to, but it is misinformed with regard to cinema, you are right.

RaphaelWood
09-03-2012, 03:59 AM
I agree with him on one thing, this is the perfect cam for Anamorphic shooting.
Imagine having a 4:3 mode on the BMCC then using 2x anamorphics on it, getting double the field of view horizontally, imagine your 28mm actually being closer to 14mm. It's almost as if the "crop factor" of the BMCC is only 0.3x instead.
Of course depth of field is a different matter but still, this does feel like the camera you get the most benefits from shooting with anammorphic.

rick.lang
09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree with him on one thing, this is the perfect cam for Anamorphic shooting.
Imagine having a 4:3 mode on the BMCC then using 2x anamorphics on it, getting double the field of view horizontally, imagine your 28mm actually being closer to 14mm. It's almost as if the "crop factor" of the BMCC is only 0.3x...

Just for fun, assume the current sensor area 15.8x8.88 and then apply a 2x anamorphic squeeze which gives an aspect ratio of 32:9, then the crop factor (compared to full frame at 16:9 aspect ratio) is nearly 1.26. If the full frame was also shooting at a 32:9 aspect ratio then the crop factor would be 1.14. Of course that would be using aspect ratio of 3.556 which would be non-standard.

I'd rather just work off the 16:9 aspect ratio and apply a 1.35 anamorphic squeeze to give a more standard aspect ratio of 2.4/2.39. That wouldn't look quite as soft on display as you would see from a 2x anamorphic projection.

If a 1.35 anamorphic could be used, the crop factor would be 1.69 which is close to the APS-C crop factor. Does this make sense?

RaphaelWood
09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Who ever said anything about using 2x anamorphic with 16:9?
"Imagine having a 4:3 (aspect ratio) mode on the BMCC then using 2x anamorphics on it"
4:3 aspect ratio plus 2x anamorphic gives you 2.35, it's what you still do nowadays with 35mm film and is the true anamorphic look.
And yes you make sense and I'm sure many will use 1.33x anamorphic with 16:9, I will anyway.
But personally prefer 4:3 with 2x anamorphic and since the BMCC sensor should be able to give us 4:3 why not take advantage of this opportunity?
After all the only big sensor digital cameras that provide this right now is the alexa and the hacked gh2 i believe and the BMCC being a "cinema camera", it should include this later by firmware update, at least I hope so.

Fergus
09-03-2012, 02:11 PM
wow, lets hope BM gives us the 4:3 option using the full sensor!

Pier
09-04-2012, 04:59 AM
wow, lets hope BM gives us the 4:3 option using the full sensor!
Totally agree !
Cheers

rick.lang
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Who ever said anything about using 2x anamorphic with 16:9?

After all the only big sensor digital cameras that provide this right now is the alexa and the hacked gh2 i believe and the BMCC being a "cinema camera", it should include this later by firmware update, at least I hope so.

I know you were not talking about using 2x anamorphics over the 16:9 aspect ratio; that's why I prefaced the speculation with "just for fun.". I certainly agree with your sentiments.