PDA

View Full Version : BlackMagic Hour - International BlackMagic Film project

mbeck
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
So once upon a time there was a project over at scarletuser.com called "Scarlet Dawn". This was started (I think...) by Peter Majtan (http://scarletuser.com/showthread.php?t=379&highlight=International+Scarlet+Film). The idea was that we would each shoot at dawn in our respective locations and then put it all together into a film.

I was thinking that we could do something similar. Here is my take on it.

We call it "BlackMagic Hour" (assuming BlackMagic has no objections.)
We would all shoot in our respective locals at "Magic Hour". We could then cut it together and make something cool out of it.
There would be things we would need to hammer out, like wether or not there would be some kind of theme other than magic hour etc. We would also have to decide about who would edit and grade etc.

Rights etc. would have to be worked out, I am thinking Creative Commons. And maybe making the footage available for others to make edits and grades. What do you think?

randyman
09-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a fantastic idea... although *someone* is going to need a lot of storage space!

Brian Self
09-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm down, count me in! Yeah creative commons, an "open source" film :)

Brian Self
09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
amazon glacier?

blahey
09-02-2012, 08:53 PM
that would be cool, Like we all shoot our respective landmarks and anyone but me cuts it together.
although I prob won't get mine for a few more months...

mbeck
09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
amazon glacier?
Yeah, I was thinking of something like that.

We could pool cash via paypal or something.

There is going to be some degree of trust here too. unless we get a sponsor to donate the server space, there will be some money involved in hosting all this data. I wonder if BMD would be interested in hosting Data.

Brian Self
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM

There is going to be some degree of trust here too. unless we get a sponsor to donate the server space, there will be some money involved in hosting all this data. I wonder if BMD would be interested in hosting Data.

Yeah I like the idea of pooling for glacier, or yeah if there are some guys on here or bmd that wants to sponsor, that would be cool. I may want to sponsor through my studio. And yeah we would have to plan a timeline when we know when we would get all ours.

Sri
09-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Count me in!

mbeck
09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Awesome guys! I am going to send a message to BMD about the name to be sure that they will allow us to use the name.

cineman
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
here here

cgurtlinger
09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea count me in!

Carlos Huerta
09-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Count me in! Let's do this!

mbeck
09-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Awesome! So anyone have any ideas for this?

Should we incorporate any props? maybe the same thing in all our shots? or just do beauty shots of out cities/countrysides etc?

Frank Glencairn
09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Sounds good in my book - I'm in :)

Sri
09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Stories revolving around a prop in different nations :-) Sounds good!

rawCAM35
09-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Awesome! So anyone have any ideas for this?

Should we incorporate any props? maybe the same thing in all our shots? or just do beauty shots of out cities/countrysides etc?

The easiest readily prop is BMD camera retail box

Sri
09-03-2012, 01:27 AM

We could request Zacuto and some of the bigwigs to come onboard as well. And since Frank Glencairn is in, perhaps if others like Philip Bloom, Tonkin, LaForet and John Beawley join in as well, we could have some interesting sponsors :-) (wishful thinking?)

Sri

Frank Glencairn
09-03-2012, 01:32 AM
How about a dwarf :)

https://vimeo.com/19912917

Chase Gardiner
09-03-2012, 03:08 AM
I am in!

I think the best thing to do would be set up rules... like must be prores (for space reasons), something in frame must be moving (water, traffic, people, ect) must be shot in magic hour, must be 3-5 seconds.

Would also be cool if everyone sent in there own clips fully graded to their liking, then the editor just chooses the shot order to the music. That way we all get control over our piece and someone makes something bad ass out of it.

rheex
09-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Great idea! I've already taken part in a couple of global projects (one of them is One Day on Earth) and it's an incredible experience. Count me in.

kevin baggott
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
how about - thematically - do i dare say something spiritual or the absence of spirituality could be in the image.
I forget the poet who asked before he wrote a poem "does the world really need this poem?"
I'm always depressed by so much imagery that I see - even if it's a test - the vacuousness of the content.
yesterday seeing a film in a theatre my wife was saddened to see me unable to look up at one trailer on the screen because I just don't want that imagery in my head.
I stare down at the ground. It be nice to see a test where I don't have to stare down.
Just a thought. :)

drgeneric
09-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Count me in! Great idea!

Brad Ferrell
09-03-2012, 07:53 AM
This is a much more mature idea than my cat picture wrangling idea a few weeks ago. I think we should call it "Magic Hour" after the camera. There are a couple of cool locations around Houston that would make this fun for me.

I'll ask my internet host to see if he's down with hosting this. ttyl.

markmwilliams
09-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Great idea - and I'm in!! (provided my camera arrives before it's shot - number 90 something on CVP pre-order list) :p

Should we shoot this RAW instead of ProRes - after all this is a RAW camera first and foremost. With space being an issue perhaps we limit how much footage each person can contribute - say no more than 2 minutes worth each? This will of course depend on how much storage space we get if any at all - my 2 pence worth

Kyle Presley
09-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm in, as before. And was just thinking about the Scarlet Dawn project last night.

Sri
09-03-2012, 08:46 AM
how about - thematically - do i dare say something spiritual or the absence of spirituality could be in the image.
I forget the poet who asked before he wrote a poem "does the world really need this poem?"
I'm always depressed by so much imagery that I see - even if it's a test - the vacuousness of the content.
yesterday seeing a film in a theatre my wife was saddened to see me unable to look up at one trailer on the screen because I just don't want that imagery in my head.
I stare down at the ground. It be nice to see a test where I don't have to stare down.
Just a thought. :)

In today's world of strife and insecurity, a "spiritual" theme really appeals to me as well. If there are no restraints to time, place, and circumstances, spirituality could prevail as the common link between all footage from around the world :-) It's easy to create footage of mundane topics. But imagine a thratrical release of this film with a strong message, creative common attribution and all!

mbeck
09-03-2012, 09:47 AM
The easiest readily prop is BMD camera retail box
Heh, yeah thats true.. but I was thinking about something less commercial ;)

How about a dwarf

:) lol.. I dunno.. those things give me the creeps!

I am in!

I think the best thing to do would be set up rules... like must be prores (for space reasons), something in frame must be moving (water, traffic, people, ect) must be shot in magic hour, must be 3-5 seconds.

Would also be cool if everyone sent in there own clips fully graded to their liking, then the editor just chooses the shot order to the music. That way we all get control over our piece and someone makes something bad ass out of it.

Yeah, we will need some guidelines for sure. But I think we should do it in RAW.. it just seems right to do it that way for this camera.

I was also thinking about people doing their own grades.. but I think there should be some continuity about it. Another thought I had was to make all the footage available to everyone and have a little contest to cut together a 10 min version from the RAW footage available.

Thats an interesting Idea. What sort of things did you have in mind? Are you taking about religious symbols etc? Or something less organized.

I'll ask my internet host to see if he's down with hosting this. ttyl.

That sounds awesome, just be sure they know how much data we are talking here… 600-700GB of Data, being downloaded by hundreds (maybe even thousands) around the world!

Should we shoot this RAW instead of ProRes - after all this is a RAW camera first and foremost. With space being an issue perhaps we limit how much footage each person can contribute - say no more than 2 minutes worth each? This will of course depend on how much storage space we get if any at all - my 2 pence worth

Yeah, I agree RAW it is.. and yeah, I would say we limit to 2 min each. I'd like to come away with an hour long film when we are done.

So, about the name. Do we want to change it to "Magic Hour"? I picked "BlackMagic Hour" because it includes the camera name in it, and it makes it searchable (separates it from people talking about magic hour in general). I am still waiting to hear back from BMD about permission.

Thanks for everyone chiming in. I am going to start a spreadsheet with names and locations, so, could you all post your location (and your real name if you are not using it as your username as well.)

Thanks!

George
09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
This sounds really fun! Gives me a chance to wander the Derbyshire moors or could do in Manchester (Uk), i spend my time between these two places (well there only 30 mins apart).

markmwilliams
09-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Time to reveal my true identity then!

markmwilliams unmasked is Mark Williams from London, UK :)

gsbe
09-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Does this mean we have to wake up early? Hmmm...

I'd vote for images of the most important geographical feature of the area where you live.

Trevor Roach
09-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm down! Sounds like an amazing and uniting experience. Already thinking of some shots I'd like to try :)
Info: Trevor Roach -- Indianapolis Indiana USA

Trevor Roach
09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Geography would be nice since it represents everywhere the camera is..

I was thinking of scenes of couples Waking up in the morning, all across the globe with neat backdrops of our locations. Kinda would be neat to show love and unity across the globe. Idk just an idea haha. This sound fun!

kevin baggott
09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
hey mbeck
i was thinking more ones grandmother buttering a piece of toast with the lazy sun blasted out outside her screen window with hank williams on the radio
or ones kid being goofy sitting on a fire-escape eating a push up ice
or yer lovers marmalade hair on fire in bed
or yer cat waiting by yer bedroom door to open to sprint in side like catching a freight-car
anyway - those are the kind of things I was thinking about - now nailing the doors of yer local church or synagogue or mosque with rail road spikes - if you mean those kind of religious images - heck yeah!
:)
not much a fan or the religions of the world anymore....

markmwilliams
09-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Magic Hour is more traditionally filmed in the evening. But anyone who wants to get up at the crack of dawn for sunrise can go ahead :)

Sri
09-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Or...why not give everyone a free reign and shoot whatever appeals to the user...then weave a story out of it? Just a thought :-)

kevin baggott
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
yeah - im with sri - :)
people usually do anyhow

mbeck
09-03-2012, 01:12 PM

I'd vote for images of the most important geographical feature of the area where you live.

Well Magic hour is morning and evening… so, you could do ether (or both)
I like the idea of geographical features.

hey mbeck
i was thinking more ones grandmother buttering a piece of toast with the lazy sun blasted out outside her screen window with hank williams on the radio
or ones kid being goofy sitting on a fire-escape eating a push up ice
or yer lovers marmalade hair on fire in bed
or yer cat waiting by yer bedroom door to open to sprint in side like catching a freight-car
anyway - those are the kind of things I was thinking about - now nailing the doors of yer local church or synagogue or mosque with rail road spikes - if you mean those kind of religious images - heck yeah!

not much a fan or the religions of the world anymore....

Ok, I was just trying to get an idea of where you were heading with that.

Or...why not give everyone a free reign and shoot whatever appeals to the user...then weave a story out of it? Just a thought :-)

I would like to have some theme… even if it is very broad, it will give us something to go with.

I am going to start a new thread in a day or two so we can vote on a theme (or not having one) so throw out ideas here that I can include in the voting.

Here is what we have right now

Spirituality - Not so much religion (but you could include it if you wanted)

Love and unity - Scenes of lovers waking up in magic hour etc.

Geographic locations - Showcasing the locations that the cameras are located (pointing out the global nature of the film and camera)

No Theme at all - Just magic hour whatever

Magic - I am suggesting this one. It could include all of the above, but the theme could just simply be something you find magical.

Ok, I invited all of you who have responded to a group. I am not sure what all we will use it for, but it does have a gallery, and it will make it easier to be sure everyone gets the latest news., so if you have not gotten an invitation, let me know.

George
09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Geography would be nice since it represents everywhere the camera is..

I was thinking of scenes of couples Waking up in the morning, all across the globe with neat backdrops of our locations. Kinda would be neat to show love and unity across the globe. Idk just an idea haha. This sound fun!

I wish I had the BMCC when I filmed this now, just finished a music video including both these themes. (Thats my 62' ford zephyr in shot)

umuima
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM

This is hard, but I'm in.

funwithstuff
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
"Magic" as a theme is open enough to allow many interpretations, but limited enough to allow for a good edit. I'd love to participate, and I'm Iain Anderson, from Brisbane, Australia.

I'd strongly suggest not requiring RAW or ProRes, just let everyone shoot whatever they want. A minute of RAW is >7GB, and with variably capped/slow internet, it's too much for many people's connections.

Possibly the best way to send video would be to upload to private Vimeo videos of source material and for the editor to download the originally submitted files?

Felix
09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I recommend using 50 mbit 422 mxf to send around

funwithstuff
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
If you can find a volunteer to edit it, make a short list of file formats that they can work with. MXFs aren't easy for everyone. QuickTime movies in DNxHD, ProRes or CineForm would be easy enough for most people to make if you do want to standardise it.

mbeck
09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
If you can find a volunteer to edit it, make a short list of file formats that they can work with. MXFs aren't easy for everyone. QuickTime movies in DNxHD, ProRes or CineForm would be easy enough for most people to make if you do want to standardise it.

CineForm may be a good compromise for those not wanting to do DNG uploads. People would have to ether own cineform, or use the trial I suppose. I wonder if GoPro could issue temp licenses to participants.

randyman
09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
CineForm may be a good compromise for those not wanting to do DNG uploads. People would have to ether own cineform, or use the trial I suppose. I wonder if GoPro could issue temp licenses to participants.

Might be a savvy move on their part. They could act as a co-sponsor, and get a foot in the door into a bunch of new customers' workflows.

vealti
09-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Sounds fun. I like the Creative Commons license for it too.

funwithstuff
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM

If the decoders are free for all the major intermediate codecs, then there will be no need to standardize on just one. Premiere (I think) and FCP X will happily mix them on one timeline.

metaljesus
09-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Great idea.

Re: theme. You already have a theme. It's Magic Hour. If you get any more complicated than that you're going to turn off a lot of people (especially if you choose something like spirituality or a constant prop). Global videos work well when the theme is extremely broad and simple, and allows different interpretation. People will decide their interest in participating based on taste, so you're best leaving it open and simple. Ie 'Magic Hour' (a term that only industry people will understand, but that's fine).

Obviously you'll want everyone to shoot in RAW, but you're talking web delivery. 80mb h264 files would be fine, and are easily accessible. You want a standardised length for clips so say 3 seconds. If they upload them to Vimeo with the download link left active there's your free storage. Clips need to be already colour graded and ready to go.

I'd recommend not getting too complicated with themes, rules, etc. Just set some simple and reasonable delivery guidelines. If you get hung up on needlessly high tech specs and finding sponsors etc, it'll reduce the likelihood of this happening.

RyGuy
09-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Ryan Richardson from Oahu, Hawaii is in.... Thats me.

I really like the landmark/geographic idea.

My idea for consideration: maybe footage that embodies the ethos of your area of the world during dawn. For example here in Hawaii dawn surfing is a huge part of our culture, where as in NY it is rush hour perhaps, or in a rural area letting the sheep out to pasture, etc. A place in time captured across the world.

I think the spirituality thing is a nice idea, however it can get umm, complicated or controversial quite fast. If at all it should be limited to exclude promotion of any specific religion.

Which brings me to my next point, the editor should have the authority to omit anyone's submissions for creative or content control. Otherwise we may get a frankenstein.

Two minutes of cDNG isn't unreasonable. I'm not familiar at all with cineform, but if gopro does a limited duration freebee that would be cool if it was supported for mac and windows.

But whatever is decided as a whole count me in.

metaljesus
09-04-2012, 05:21 AM
If you've got 200 submissions, you're not going to want 2 minutes from each person. Regardless of storage requirements. The editor will be using 3 seconds max.

'Magic hour' is generally considered to be right before sunset, not at sunrise, in my experience. Plus the scarlet video already did sunrise ...

funwithstuff
09-04-2012, 05:45 AM
As I'd be surprised if we got 200 people, I'd go a little longer than three seconds. About six years ago I started a video podcast called Twelve Fives, in which twelve five-second shots are sandwiched together to create a one-minute video postcard. The project is in hibernation, but I might revive it when I get my BMC, and I have a long term project in which my daughter grows up, one month every five seconds.

http://twelvefives.com

Something like that could work as a bare bones structure if we want to keep the editing minimalistic and let people know how their footage will be used.

Or that could be a little boring. Thoughts? :)

mbeck
09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Great idea.

Re: theme. You already have a theme. It's Magic Hour. If you get any more complicated than that you're going to turn off a lot of people (especially if you choose something like spirituality or a constant prop). Global videos work well when the theme is extremely broad and simple, and allows different interpretation. People will decide their interest in participating based on taste, so you're best leaving it open and simple. Ie 'Magic Hour' (a term that only industry people will understand, but that's fine).

I agree. I think that just Picking Magic as a theme at magic hour is great.

I really like the landmark/geographic idea.

My idea for consideration: maybe footage that embodies the ethos of your area of the world during dawn. For example here in Hawaii dawn surfing is a huge part of our culture, where as in NY it is rush hour perhaps, or in a rural area letting the sheep out to pasture, etc. A place in time captured across the world.

Yeah, I think that could be really cool. I am thinking that the Theme Magic includes those things that are unique to your location. Not as a rule, but as a suggestion.

If you've got 200 submissions, you're not going to want 2 minutes from each person. Regardless of storage requirements. The editor will be using 3 seconds max.

'Magic hour' is generally considered to be right before sunset, not at sunrise, in my experience. Plus the scarlet video already did sunrise ...

Did the scarlet video ever get made? I missed it if it did. By the time the camera came out I think most people were too jaded, or could not afford it.

I say we let people decide if they want to shoot at sunrise, or at sunset.

Anyway, We will most likely come up with at minimum (like 5 seconds) and a maximum of like 2 min. I think we are going to be in the 20-50 range for submissions.. but who knows!

About six years ago I started a video podcast called Twelve Fives, in which twelve five-second shots are sandwiched together to create a one-minute video postcard.

http://twelvefives.com

Something like that could work as a bare bones structure if we want to keep the editing minimalistic and let people know how their footage will be used.

Or that could be a little boring. Thoughts?

That might be a little more ridged than what most of us want.. but we will decide those things after we settle the theme thing.

I think that I will start a new thread with the theme options tonight and we will get that part settled.

hgher
09-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Great idea, and magic as the theme for 'magic hour' footage fits perfectly

mikowolf
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Sign me up. Can do Norway and Poland ;)

pcenginefx
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd help out with this as well, but I'd love to also *show* the Blackmagic cam in the shot as well as the environment (a mirror can achieve this).

Also, I agree with other people who have said to keep the shots short per-person. The raw clip can be up to 2mins, but when edited it should be no longer than 4-8 seconds.

mbeck
09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
New thread!

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?997-BlackMagic-Hour-Theme-Poll

We will still use this thread to discuss other aspects, and spawn new threads for polls.

Lorenzo Straight
09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Why not just start a Vimeo user group and everyone upload their videos and the editors download and edit the content. And others who just want to play around with the footage can download and have at it.

Call the user group "BMCC Magic Hour".

mbeck
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
. Archive.org provides a free hosting service without any limits. Just make sure you put BMC in the tags so others can find it.
Awesome! I'll check it out!

Liam
09-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm in, if I get the camera in time, I wonder what to shoot now!

Brad Ferrell
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
My web host says we can have the bandwidth to do this. I can set up an FTP account and we can all upload and download there without suffering through recompression at some video site.

What is our delivery codec? Prores or h.264?

mbeck
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
My web host says we can have the bandwidth to do this. I can set up an FTP account and we can all upload and download there without suffering through recompression at some video site.

What is our delivery codec? Prores or h.264?

Thats cool! we will be hammering out delivery formats soon.

I am thinking we accept RAW, CineformRAW, ProRes, DNxHD, (h.264?) for submissions, and deliver a high quality h.264 master. anyone else have any thoughts?

mikowolf
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM
lets go cineform, this way, each clip will be the same, and no problems in post for the editor/editors?

mbeck
09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
lets go cineform, this way, each clip will be the same, and no problems in post for the editor/editors?
The problem with that is that cineformRAW is not free. There are beta versions and trials.. but its not free. I will talk to them and see if there is a way to work out a trial for this project or something.

rawCAM35
09-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Why not keeping it in Cinema DNG raw, the project is really short why bother with encoding it into something else, I ordered this camera because of the internal raw recording.

mikowolf
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
The problem with that is that cineformRAW is not free. There are beta versions and trials.. but its not free. I will talk to them and see if there is a way to work out a trial for this project or something.

oh indeed my bad.
please do ask, never hurts to ask anyway, unless your in a dark alley or something ;)

vealti
09-06-2012, 08:48 PM
The only issue I see with Cinema DNG raw is the file sizes for uploading. Even if we are thinking of only around 30 secs that is big. One of John's clips was 500+mb and only about 4 sec. long. Of course if you have the bandwidth then why not? I don't think I like H264 for uploading either. Keep the quality up with either CineformRAW (for those that have it), ProRes, or DNxHD. After editing then H264 is OK.

mbeck
09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok, So we are going to tackle upload format next.

The things we need to decide are, upload format, and graded or un-graded. Obviously if we choose graded, the RAW files will need to have a Resolve project with them, or just a LUT.

Our options seem to be RAW, ProRes, DNxHD, CinemaDNG, or h.264.

any other options? any discussion as to what format we should use? Multiple?

RyGuy
09-09-2012, 12:11 AM
While the compressed formats are all great and completely usable, I think that RAW should be most considered. After all it is a RAW camera first and formost. If I were standing on the sidelines, and learned that it was shot in anything besides RAW, i would think it very, very odd. Sort of defeats the purpose.

mbeck
09-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I am with you. But the sheer file size may make it prohibitive to upload it. Maybe FedEx?

funwithstuff
09-09-2012, 01:34 AM
While the compressed formats are all great and completely usable, I think that RAW should be most considered. After all it is a RAW camera first and formost. If I were standing on the sidelines, and learned that it was shot in anything besides RAW, i would think it very, very odd. Sort of defeats the purpose.

If at least some Hollywood feature films are shot to ProRes on the Alexa, there's no shame in using ProRes for a zero-budget short.

http://www.arri.com/camera/digital_cameras/news.html?article=938&cHash=798406a55c7190f6f0c0b5a83eae2de5

Not everyone can or will shoot RAW often with this camera.

Frank Glencairn
09-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Even if someone wants to shoot raw, then delivery for upload should be ProRes or Cineform raw.

I would say everyone grades his clip, but provides one unmolested DNG frame out of the camera with it for reference.

For playing and editing Cineform, there is a free version.

Frank

RyGuy
09-09-2012, 05:13 AM
If at least some Hollywood feature films are shot to ProRes on the Alexa, there's no shame in using ProRes for a zero-budget short.

http://www.arri.com/camera/digital_cameras/news.html?article=938&cHash=798406a55c7190f6f0c0b5a83eae2de5

Not everyone can or will shoot RAW often with this camera.

i'm not trying to undermine prores or other compressed codecs or their merit in any way. Just stating that it would be weird to not shoot raw since thats the whole point of the camera, or at least it was initially.

stip
09-09-2012, 07:18 AM
i'm not trying to undermine prores or other compressed codecs or their merit in any way. Just stating that it would be weird to not shoot raw since thats the whole point of the camera, or at least it was initially.

+1

That camera shoots raw. 12 bit RAW! ENG or long interviews, ok, shoot Prores or DNxHD, but for any scenic stuff, for gods sake, shoot raw. There are always good options for delivery and upload later but get the best possible base footage if there aren't any really good reasons against it.

funwithstuff
09-09-2012, 07:22 AM

The BMCC is different things to different people. Enthusiasts and solo operators see a quality image they can afford using lenses they already own. Professional cinematographers see something they can rig up and integrate into a complex workflow with 20 people involved. It's never been about being a RAW camera to me — I want ProRes with RAW on the side from time to time — though I'm sure it has been for many.

While it's possible to work with RAW on a local level, a data rate that high is simply too much to sling around the net for most people. More than a few seconds will be simply unmanageable, and we're very unlikely to see the benefits after web compression anyway.

funwithstuff
09-09-2012, 07:23 AM
+1

That camera shoots raw. 12 bit RAW! ENG or long interviews, ok, shoot Prores or DNxHD, but for any scenic stuff, for gods sake, shoot raw. There are always good options for delivery and upload later but get the best possible base footage if there aren't any really good reasons against it.

Agreed, by all means, shoot RAW if you want to. It's just probably not the best format to send to the editor.

stip
09-09-2012, 09:33 AM
The BMCC is different things to different people. Enthusiasts and solo operators see a quality image they can afford using lenses they already own. Professional cinematographers see something they can rig up and integrate into a complex workflow with 20 people involved. It's never been about being a RAW camera to me — I want ProRes with RAW on the side from time to time — though I'm sure it has been for many.

While it's possible to work with RAW on a local level, a data rate that high is simply too much to sling around the net for most people. More than a few seconds will be simply unmanageable, and we're very unlikely to see the benefits after web compression anyway.

shoot raw, deliver edit in prores or dnxhd (or cineform). this project is about only a few seconds for each, right?

randyman
09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Has it been decided, then, that video will be given to a single central editor who will assemble everything into a finished piece, rather than each contributor editing their own contribution?

That's fine with me, but one concern comes to mind... if each of us is grading our own footage, the finished assembly is bound to have a patchy quality, as the grades will vary widely. Something to consider...

stip
09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
yeah - no magic bullet grading please :)

Sri
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
If all footage is located centrally, how about keeping the edit open source too? We could post different versions to Vimeo and officially nominate the best edit to represent this project worldwide. Just a thought.

Brad Ferrell
09-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I'd like to shoot raw
color
compress to 1080, even 720 DNxHD
upload

RaphaelWood
09-10-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm also interested in participating in this project, please invite to whatever group you created.
For your information my name is Raphael Madeira.
Already know what I will be shooting :) :

stip
09-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Wow, great location Raphael!

Soeren Mueller
09-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Raphael.. nice.. that's near Porto, right? You got some awesome locations to chose from ;)

Count me in too! This is so much more fun than all the waiting complain mess elsewhere...

PS: I would second the concern regarding the grades... I think the footage should be ungraded and it would be awesome if some "professional" colorist would be willing to give the finished edit his best shot... imho the finished assembly should look as good as possible, right?!

Carlos Huerta
09-28-2012, 01:42 AM
PS: I would second the concern regarding the grades... I think the footage should be ungraded and it would be awesome if some "professional" colorist would be willing to give the finished edit his best shot... imho the finished assembly should look as good as possible, right?!

I agree

MiguelFranco
09-28-2012, 05:19 AM
I would love to enter this project. Here in Maputo the magic hour/sunset is wonderful...

I just don't know when I'll be getting my camera...

mbeck
09-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the interest guys! Since more cameras will be shipping soon, we need to get this project back on track! I will have more time to devote to this soon.

I agree about having one person grade the footage. I am sure that everyone would like to grade their own footage.. But I think a unified look will flow better. We might submit one DNG frame per shit if we want to suggest a direction or something though.

Brad Ferrell
09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
submit one DNG frame per shit.

:)

randyman
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
We might submit one DNG frame per shit

Well! If you're going to be that judgmental, I don't know if I want to play...

:rolleyes:

RaphaelWood
09-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Raphael.. nice.. that's near Porto, right? You got some awesome locations to chose from ;)

Yep, just a bit south of Porto.

If we could we could also allow all participants to download all of the footage submitted and each one (who is interested) creates a grade and the best grade is chosen by vote. But not sure if it would be simple, plus the question remains, would we grade and edit or would we only grade an edited video? Which leads to someone already editing beforehand... we could also all edit and the best one is picked...

Just throwing ideas :)