PDA

View Full Version : Robie Williams shot with BMC in PoRes

Frank Glencairn
09-01-2012, 04:42 AM
My friend James Tonkin did a nice shot with instant turnaround an delivery yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=07kqAad4DyM

dustylense
09-01-2012, 05:17 AM
This is GREAT! What I love about it is that it's not in and out in and out focus!!!!!! Yes, extreme DOF is missing. But there are shots with narrow DOF (details of clothing). But what makes this look like cinema is..... DYNAMIC RANGE and beyond that, a wonderful palette of color and gradation. And were looking at Prores and at 360p! Who knew???? To me its the start of a whole new look with this camera but that familiar cinema emotion.
Thank for posting this!!!!! The first I've seen of real life shooting with outstanding results. I was sold on the camera before, now Im just fucking eager (excuse my language. Just no other way I can say it)>

Lorenzo Straight
09-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Would loved to have seen this in a larger size. Why the low resolution?

Tim Hole
09-01-2012, 07:21 AM
That's great. Thanks for the link. What lenses did he shoot with? Would love to see it in 1080p...

mhood
09-01-2012, 07:34 AM
"Instant turnaround" huh? Did he shoot 709 or FILM? Gr8 job!

Newman
09-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Encouraging to see this type of project. I'm personally interested in using Prores formats for shoots like this with rushed or ASAP deadlines-
and this video suggests it can be done, presumably much more efficiently than with DSLRs.

Can you talk about how this was shot? Basically how camera was configured for handheld/ moving shots/ etc. I saw on the blog that you said handheld was a challenge so wondering what was done for shooting this.

Also any chance at seeing a larger size or vimeo version sometime?

Frank Glencairn
09-01-2012, 08:09 AM
As I said, this is not my video, so you might want to ask James.
He's over at the BM forum.

J Davis
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
thanks for sharing this as I've been wanting to see bmc prores

dop16mm
09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Surely he doesn't have 3... What are the other camera for the presentation portion, they seem to play well together.

Frank Glencairn
09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I guess a FS100 and a 700

david_p
09-01-2012, 06:53 PM
someone needs to inform this guy that its ok to post higher than 480p on youtube!

rheex
09-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Please upload to Vimeo with download option available!

yoclay
09-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Sometimes I just can't get beyond the content.
My stomach just can't take it.

Guess, I'll just have to look at other footage in order to appreciate quality.

Willian Aleman
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Guess, I'll just have to look at other footage in order to appreciate quality.

Let's welcome us to the digital democratization, where we can see the best and the worse through the same medium.

If I hadn't seen better, outstanding, previous footage of the BMCC. I would say that these types of samples posted at this
resolution causes more harm than good to the early production release of the BMCC, contributing to miss inform potential buyers.

Just the selection of youtube, for hosting the reel (the most automatically compressed video host in the planet) is probably a reason for the amount of alias (blocking side effect in these footage).
Beside the compression level, I can see that motion blur present can be worse than the GH2, probably, because of the lock of highest frame rate than 30. This is going to be or a challenge or a limitation depends in the cinematographer and the film genre.

Frank Glencairn
09-02-2012, 12:28 PM
The motionblur you get from 24 FPS and a 180 deg. shutter worked very well for over 100 years - why should that become suddenly a "limitation"?

Frank

Willian Aleman
09-02-2012, 01:40 PM
The motionblur you get from 24 FPS and a 180 deg. shutter worked very well for over 100 years - why should that become suddenly a "limitation"?

Frank

Thanks Frank for your response. Love your posted samples.

The reason, because motion blur from film as a media at any FPS doesn't has the same pronounced side effect as the one produced from digital sensors, which are more pronounced. Martin Scorsese, Raging Bull, the fighting scenes are worth to mention as an example of action sequence. Film, when shooting action sequence has the option to shoot at highest FPS. Even digital video camera other than DSLR were/are more forgiven in this regard.

mhood
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Sometimes I just can't get beyond the content.
My stomach just can't take it.

In my best Rodney Dangerfield: "Tough crowd...tough crowd."

Fluoro
09-02-2012, 05:51 PM

The reason, because motion blur from film as a media at any FPS doesn't has the same pronounced side effect as the one produced from digital sensors, which are more pronounced. Martin Scorsese, Raging Bull, the fighting scenes are worth to mention as an example of action sequence. Film, when shooting action sequence has the option to shoot at highest FPS. Even digital video camera other than DSLR were/are more forgiven in this regard.

Motion blur is primarily a result of the shutter speed not the frame rate. Want less motion blur on the BMC then one can choose a smaller shutter angle (like 90 degrees) than the usual 180 degree shutter.

yoclay
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
In my best Rodney Dangerfield: "Tough crowd...tough crowd."

RW:
It's like watching a stuffed chicken on steroids, strutting around in pink socks.

Frank Glencairn
09-03-2012, 01:39 AM

Martin said in an interview, that they shot high frame rates, because you could not see the punch at 24 fps, - not because of motion blur.
And yeah, if you want low blur, choose a different shutter angle, like in Private Ryan or Gladiator, if you after that look.

Willian Aleman
09-03-2012, 09:12 AM
And yeah, if you want low blur, choose a different shutter angle, like in Private Ryan or Gladiator, if you after that look.

Thanks for the extra info.

Phil
09-03-2012, 09:22 AM
someone needs to inform this guy that its ok to post higher than 480p on youtube!

But this is some of the best looking 480p "YouTube" footage Ive seen for a while!