PDA

View Full Version : Blackmagic Specific lens.

Jorge De Silva
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
It is just me... or I'm assuming at some point, that even Blackmagic will start to sell specific lens for BMCC, and the others EF mount manufacturers... (sigma, tamron) specific for THIS? I dont know... but this thing will sell a lot... It should be a smart MOVE... :)

daveswan
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
In our frame yes the BMC will sell a lot, but from the lens-makers perspective?

Over 25 years, Canon alone have sold 80 Million EF lenses, which rather puts it into perspective.

ryan brown
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Why spend the R&D on new lenses for this niche camera when another camera with a more traditional sensor size (super 35) will be right around the corner? Even black magic have acknowledged that they would have preferred a larger sensor, but for now, at this price point, it wasn't feasible. Yet.

Yes, this camera will do very well. BUT, it'll be very short lived. I think we can all agree that while we're totally stoked about this camera, we still would have preferred a different sensor size. We know it's coming in the near future from one manufacturer or another, and so do the lens makers...

Now I'm not saying we won't see an affordable lens or two that'll work great for this camera, I'm just saying don't expect the lens manufacturers to be racing to create the perfect BMCC lens

Yaso
08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Why spend the R&D on new lenses for this niche camera when another camera with a more traditional sensor size (super 35) will be right around the corner? Even black magic have acknowledged that they would have preferred a larger sensor, but for now, at this price point, it wasn't feasible. Yet.

Yes, this camera will do very well. BUT, it'll be very short lived. I think we can all agree that while we're totally stoked about this camera, we still would have preferred a different sensor size. We know it's coming in the near future from one manufacturer or another, and so do the lens makers...

Now I'm not saying we won't see an affordable lens or two that'll work great for this camera, I'm just saying don't expect the lens manufacturers to be racing to create the perfect BMCC lens

I don't know about you Ryan, but if I had waited for the perfect opportunity, I'd still be waiting. You know what I mean?

Bring this camera on, NOW.

Jorge De Silva
08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
It's really sad that the mount it's not modular...because the m43 lens it's perfect for it... but it's what we have...

ryan brown
08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't know about you Ryan, but if I had waited for the perfect opportunity, I'd still be waiting. You know what I mean?

Bring this camera on, NOW.

Oh, I agree. I'll definitely be picking up one of these cameras. At the cost and what it offers, I can't pass it up. But I can see myself selling it within a year when a similar cam comes to the market with an S35 sensor. And I'm totally OK with that.

ryan brown
08-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Agreed. M43 would be fantastic, but it's what we got and I'm not going to complain. While the BMC comes close, I really think my "dream camera" is within a 2 year time-frame from now.

dop16mm
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
yes this is a niche camera, but there are also niche lenses out there. The Voitander and SLR Magic m4/3 lenses are small volume niche, with some design effort they could probably be rehoused with an ef mount further up the body and the rear elements going down the tube. In the new form they could also be fitted with m4/3 adapters and serve both camera types.

The major cine lens manufacturers could probably dust off their old arri mount primes that cover standard 35mm, but not super and find a way to adapt them to this camera. These are lenses that are made one at a time, not in the thousands, so the market is big enough if someone chose to do it. Now if this odd ball sensor size proves to be a one off, it isn't worth it to invest in lenses that would only work on it.

If if an affordable m4/3 mod comes on line, that is probably more viable than custom lenses

rick.lang
09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
If if an affordable m4/3 mod comes on line, that is probably more viable than custom lenses

Now the BMCC is shipping and they'll have their team concentrating on perfecting it over the next few months (software changes), I'm sure BMD must be having very interesting strategy sessions soon to decide on their path for the future (a few years horizon). They've made clear whenever anyone wanted to discuss the future that they had to concentrate on getting the first model out the door. Mission accomplished. But now?

They have a lot to mull over but there are certainly a few directions it could take for the hardware impacting the lenses and images:
1) offer optional mounts with the same sensor or an increased sensor size;
2) increase the active area being used with the same sensor including offering 4:3 aspect ratio;
3) increase the size of the sensor (wonder if Fairchild has considered a larger option themselves).

To be fair to BMD, they are unlikely to engage in a public debate about their future direction but we know their ears are to the ground listening to customers. Rather than build lenses designed for their current sensor, I suspect they'll leave that to the marketplace.

I've started to notice ad copy referencing the BMCC, even claiming compatibility where that may be questionable (eg. Zacuto EVF Pro claiming their 1080i HDMI EVF is compatible). My point is the camera is only just released and it's getting attention. In another post I suggested someone would make lenses with the same design philosophy as BMD and someone suggested Samyang/Rokinon was perhaps filling that roll; I'm tending to agree with that now.

Gosh, it feels like Kodak introducing the Brownie box handheld camera. You remember what proceeded the Brownie, huge studio cameras on tripods or shrunken handheld versions of them with bellows and lots of levers. Brownie made it simple. Especially after I reviewed Canon's cinema camera option this morning. Canon seems to be caught in the trap of evolution: refining the current vision to perfection. BMD is in the mode of revolution: a little rough around the edges but it's an exciting ride. Coming from a photographic background where correct exposure was carefully determined and focus and depth of field painstakingly verified, moving to automated everything in stills and video, now it's back to basics but the nature of exposure and focus have been replaced by zebras and peaking where you often can keep your eye on the image and not on the dials as your fingers do the work.

Sorry for the ramble this inspired but I'm thinking of how this little camera is impacting my prior conceptions. I trust BMD will make great choices regarding their roadmap for the future and who knows it make take more than one path but they'll stay true to their DNA as Steve Jobs might have put it.

Jason M.
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Unfortunately, probably the most affordable working m4/3 mod you'll find involves removing the entire front of the camera and replacing the mount completely. Looking at a future iteration of the camera, an EF-M mount might be ideal, or perhaps an interchangeable mount system like P&S Technik's or Allstar's A-mount (though Allstar would have to allow for shorter flange focal distance).

Personally, I hope that in future they keep the sensor size at or around m4/3 or S16. You can get great images and nice DOF, but with really fast, small lenses, and pulling focus is less of a hassle than with larger formats. May make less sense for larger productions, but for small crews or personal and documentary filmmaking, it's fantastic.