PDA

View Full Version : Flolight Microbeam 1024/800

mythreeinitials
03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Has anyone used these? I've heard a lot of good things about them, but it's very little hands on information out there.

Thanks in advance

KKeller
03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
I've not worked with those specifically but when it comes to the lower cost LED panels I almost always find a lot of spill into plus or minus green. I just looked at a review of these and they turned on the light during the review (I don't know what they were doing with the color in camera or post) and I could very easily see a lot of magenta coming through the light.
You can control the color with gels and color correction, you may have issues balancing to other lights though.

zackwilson
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
I haven't used the current models, but I have had issues with the Flo-Lights breaking in the past when we're powering them with external batteries that were rated to be compatible. The light quality is certainly usable, but you'll definitely need a host of plus/minus green gels to make it match daylight and other lights (which is a common issue with LED an fluorescent lights anyway, not a big deal). You'll also need to be careful with diffusing them, and I strongly recommend the wide/flood beams over the spot beams. If you don't diffuse the spot, you essentially get a thousand little spotlights on the subject, making some really strange micro-shadows.

I'm taking a break from LEDs, going HMI or fluorescent at the moment. Some of the new lights from Mole and ARRI look promising - the LED technology in the last two years has increased significantly.