PDA

View Full Version : Red Color & Digital Noise

Willian Aleman
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm close to shooting a scene where the main character wears a red dress in an interior night location. Watching movies, commercials, I have noticing that the color red serves as a magnifier to show digital noise more than other colors regardless of having the right exposure. Is there any logical explanation for the red color to behave like this?

KKeller
03-24-2014, 09:32 AM
The best I can figure is digital sensors just aren't as good at capturing the color red. Probably because they are natively daylight balanced and there is gain added to the red channel to balance the image.
This is all speculation though, I don't have actual data to back it up.

Willian Aleman
03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Kevin, thanks a lot for your response.

cpc
03-25-2014, 04:30 AM
In a tungsten lit night interior most of your noise will be in the blues, if you shoot with proper white balance. The blue channel will be severely stretched to compensate for the lack of blue in the light. This will lift blue noise. Then the more you warm the image, either in camera or in post, the more you will increase red gain and lift any noise in red.

Willian Aleman
03-25-2014, 08:08 AM
cpc, thanks for your writing. I'm going to do some test previously to the shoot to see how to handle the red dress and the noise in the red channel.

KKeller
03-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I've had plenty of problems shooting things the colors primary red or blue, to me they almost always look overexposed well before they should be. Is it possible to get the dress in a different color that will look red to the camera, just as how it is nicer to wear grey clothing rather than white?

Willian Aleman
03-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Is it possible to get the dress in a different color that will look red to the camera?

I don't know any camera that can do this. However, the color can be changed in post using Power Window and/or Qualifier in Resolve. The issue is that the story calls for the red color.
Thanks for your comment.

KKeller
03-25-2014, 09:55 PM
I meant get a dress that looks red to the camera but to your eye might be a little off or darker. You would be doing nothing in camera or post but asking the wardrobe department to help out.

Willian Aleman
03-26-2014, 08:21 AM
I meant get a dress that looks red to the camera but to your eye might be a little off or darker. You would be doing nothing in camera or post but asking the wardrobe department to help out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
BTW congratulations on your reels. Nice work!