PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Exposure for a Scene

Kastel
03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
When I shoot a film, commercial, music video, etc. I typically adjust the aperture per angle until I feel the exposure is the same. Is this the correct method? Or do you keep the same exposure settings: aperture, shutter, iso, and adjust the lights until it is the same? I find myself adjust the exposure for different shots in the same set often and wondered if that was a common procedure and if not what is?

Hope all is well!

AHLiu
03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
You should keep exposure (aperture iso and shutter) the same. Re-light as necessary. Unless you are intentionally changing the mood with the shot (ie wide open for an isolating, shallow DoF shot).

It possible to fix exposure changes in post to match but I find it a pita.

my 2 cents

Kastel
03-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Thank you for your input! May I ask what the issues are with changing aperture slightly on different angles to match the same exposure of the other angles? Thanks again for your wisdom!

Tolin
03-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Thank you for your input! May I ask what the issues are with changing aperture slightly on different angles to match the same exposure of the other angles? Thanks again for your wisdom!

Changing the aperture and other settings affects the look of the image. There isn't any real "rule" either stating that different angles need to match exposure wise. If you have a shot of a man standing in front of a window with sunlight blasting through, lighting him from the front - It isn't that far fetched that when we cut to a shot of the man's back, he is in silhouette. As far as lighting for exposure goes, if you start wide and work your way up close you will rarely, if ever, run into the problem of not having sufficient light output to match the previous takes.