PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle adapters?

Gwangjuboy
08-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I noticed John Brawley said a wide angle converter like the LA700 could work on the BMC. There hasn't been much discussion of using wide angle converters, not anamorphic but just something like the LA700 adapter. What would be the likely pros and cons?

Could cheaper adapters from century optics work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-37-mm-Century-Precision-Optics-55X-Wide-Angle-Adapter-37mm-/350588610754?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item51a0b5a8c2

Grug
08-19-2012, 11:48 PM
How wide do you really need to go?

There are quite a few 10mm options available and 10mm will give you the equivalent of 23mm on a vistavision/full-frame camera (which is pretty much equivalent to 14mm on S35mm/APS-C - which is as wide as anyone shoots on most films (14mm is usually a 'novelty' wide for providing trippy or distorted perspectives).

And at f/3.5, something like the Sigma 10-20mm is only half-a-stop slower than a f/2.8 lens - so light loss isn't an overly significant concern either.

Gwangjuboy
08-20-2012, 01:31 AM
How wide do you really need to go?

There are quite a few 10mm options available and 10mm will give you the equivalent of 23mm on a vistavision/full-frame camera (which is pretty much equivalent to 14mm on S35mm/APS-C - which is as wide as anyone shoots on most films (14mm is usually a 'novelty' wide for providing trippy or distorted perspectives).

And at f/3.5, something like the Sigma 10-20mm is only half-a-stop slower than a f/2.8 lens - so light loss isn't an overly significant concern either.

dude am I not free to ask a question? Wide angle converters exist because people want to use them. And if you are giving advice the you should be aware there is little reason to use a 10-20mm Sigma when the 8-16mm will be noticeably wider and not much slower or expensive.

Grug
08-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Wasn't trying to be snarky, it was a legitimate question - what FoV do you need to achieve?

Wide-angle adapters like that came into existence in order to offer options to people who had fixed-lens small-chip cameras, standard wisdom has it that you want to put as little additional glass in front of your lens as possible, so if you can achieve the FoV you need without additional optical elements - that's always going to be preferable.

Gwangjuboy
08-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Wasn't trying to be snarky, it was a legitimate question - what FoV do you need to achieve?

Wide-angle adapters like that came into existence in order to offer options to people who had fixed-lens small-chip cameras, standard wisdom has it that you want to put as little additional glass in front of your lens as possible, so if you can achieve the FoV you need without additional optical elements - that's always going to be preferable.

I think people will want to get as wide as possible on the BMC. I just want to know what's possible.

Whitehorsevideo
08-20-2012, 07:48 AM
I recently returned a $179.00 canon WD-H72 adaptor because it did'nt fit on a canon 28-135?!?!
Picked up a $300.00 Rokinon 8mm that kicks. Because of the 2.3x crop factor the field of view is equivalent to a 19 mm on a full frame 35, which is plenty wide for most purposes, and the image quality when using only the center of the lens is superb. Definately will be using this on the BMDCC.

cineman
08-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Tokina 11mm - 16mm. nice lens for the money.