PDA

View Full Version : Any tripod head with adjustable hard stop when tilting?

rizibo
01-29-2014, 08:17 AM
I have been looking for a tripod head to be used with 4k camera which can have an adjustable hard stop when tilting up. I want to use this head to tilt up quickly and have a hard stop exactly at a set point. I thank any suggestions in advance.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
If there is no such tripod head, does anyone have any good ideas about how to tilt the head up quickly and stopping at a precise point?

vicharris
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Not that I know since I've never heard of one but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Won't you see the head hit the stopping point in the image? Unless there's some sort of cushion or dampening it seems like you would see a hard stop or even a kick back.

Jon
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
A move like that will just take a little practice to nail it. A hard stop would likely shake the image when hitting the end point anyway. If possible you can start on the desired end point and reverse the clip in post.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Not that I know since I've never heard of one but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Won't you see the head hit the stopping point in the image? Unless there's some sort of cushion or dampening it seems like you would see a hard stop or even a kick back.

Yes, the hard stop is meant to be seen for dramatic effect. I think this effect was used in Taxi Driver when the camera tilted up while Travis Bickle was eating popcorn and had a hard stop after his newly shaved head was seen (I think he had a mohawk).

That is the difficulty of doing this move. You have to avoid kickback.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 03:05 PM
A move like that will just take a little practice to nail it. A hard stop would likely shake the image when hitting the end point anyway. If possible you can start on the desired end point and reverse the clip in post.

I would need a good tripod to prevent the shaking after the hard stop. After the hard stop the actor throws an object and reversing this would be difficult.

I thought there were tripods with hard stops for panning. There must be some expensive tripod which has hard stops when tilting.

StephenM
01-29-2014, 03:37 PM
A gear head might be your best bet for consistently repeatable tilts.

Frank Glencairn
01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Usually it's just muscle memory of a experienced DP.

You just have to do it again and again, till you nail it. More so on a gear head.
Took some guys months of practicing (if not more) to really master it.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
A gear head might be your best bet for consistently repeatable tilts.

Yes. The only problem with the geared head may be the limited range of tilt and the how fast it could tilt.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Usually it's just muscle memory of a experienced DP.

You just have to do it again and again, till you nail it. More so on a gear head.
Took some guys months of practicing (if not more) to really master it.

Months of practice sounds discouraging.

I was thinking of cheap methods like having one end of a fishing string connected to something above the tripod and the other end of fishing string connected to the tripod handle. When tilting up to the exact point of the hard stop, the string will stop additional movement. I doubt this will work. If it doesn't work then I will have to rely on muscle memory.

k Stark
01-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Probably a bad suggestion, i'm sure I'll get railed on sorry:
but Ive done it with a 2x4. just place one end on the ground (or something else) and set the tripod handle to hit the other end at just the right place. if you only need it for one shot...
you could add a towel or a coat to cussion the impact. I might have stabilized it a bit in post.

rizibo
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Probably a bad suggestion, i'm sure I'll get railed on sorry:
but Ive done it with a 2x4. just place one end on the ground (or something else) and set the tripod handle to hit the other end at just the right place. if you only need it for one shot...
you could add a towel or a coat to cussion the impact. I might have stabilized it a bit in post.

Not a bad idea actually if it works.