PDA

View Full Version : Black Pro Mist 1/8 or 1/4 for the BMCC

Joechiazza
01-16-2014, 10:39 PM
I've decided that I am going to purchase a black pro mist filter for my BMCC. I'll be primarily shooting with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. What I'm trying to accomplish is just getting the most filmic look possible out of the BMCC. I like how the black pro mist softens up skin and the overall image a bit. I don't want too strong of an effect because I really like the way things look now, but I think maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 would make it perfect. I'm leaning towards the 1/4.

Do you guys use these filters? What do you use them for?

One more question, why does everyone rave about the Sigma sharpness and then go and throw a diffusion filter on it. Why even have such a sharp lens. What am I missing here?

Thanks everyone.

Stephen Mick
01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
What strength to use really comes down to personal preference and subject matter. In my kit, I carry Tiffen Black Glimmerglass filters in two strengths, 1/2 and 3. With wider lenses, I'll generally look to the stronger diffusion, while in more of a telephoto length, a softer strength will do. I can't speak to Pro-Mist specifically, but I use the diffusion filters primarily to soften skintones and blemishes a bit. Yes the Sigma is a hella-sharp lens, but that sharpness isn't always good for talent.

At least that's my take on it.

Joechiazza
01-16-2014, 10:47 PM
do you basically always shoot with diffusion on the lens?

Stephen Mick
01-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Not always, no. Like any tool, you have to get comfortable with knowing when you need/want it and when you don't. If you can rent some filters where you are, that's a great way to play with a bunch of different looks to see what you like best, and when you feel you need it.

Just for reference, here's what's in my filter kit…

- Tiffen .6 ND Grad Soft-Edge
- Tiffen Black Glimmerglass (1/2 and 3)
- Schneider Circular Tru-Pol Polarizer
- Formatt Black Supermist 1/4
- Formatt Supermist 1/4
- Formatt Tobacco 1

Many of these rarely see use, but I like having them, just in case.

dvbrother
01-17-2014, 11:47 AM
If you are going for a subtle effect, you may find the Black Pro Mist 1/4 to be too much. I have used both the 1/8 and the 1/4. I like the 1/4, especially for close-ups of talent, but the effect is noticeable compared to no filtration at all. Specular highlights bloom and there's a general softness to the entire image. I happen to like it, but it may be too much for you if you are going for subtle.

Also, be aware that different focal lengths will produce different results with filters. So a shot at 18mm may exhibit more of the filter effect than a shot at 35mm. And, if I'm not mistaken, the wider your aperture, the more pronounced the effect. Just moving the lens closer or farther away from the filter in the matte box will change the effect, too.

As suggested above, if there are any rental houses in your area, check a few out and compare different filters.

rze
01-18-2014, 06:11 PM
go to a rental house and rent a full set, test them all out, the differences are highly subjective and subtle, totally personal preference, i've used 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 on the same shoot for difference shots.

slomoexplo
01-26-2014, 06:20 AM
I just shot a 48-Hour film festival with some 1/4 and 1/2 Black Promists, will post up some shots when I get it back from the editor. Works reasonably well as a OLPF too, but not nearly as good as a dedicated one. Might start shooting with 1/4 on more often, I like the look.

Noah Blackwell
01-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Looking forward to seeing those shots slomoexplo. I would appreciate that.