PDA

View Full Version : Books on Film Making.

Simon
08-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi, just thought I would share my awareness of something film related & recommend this book to anyone who works/studies in film or tv and takes an interest in learning the basics and advanced techniques, practical applications and theory behind sound for film & tv...

The book is called "sound for film & Television". It covers everything you could want it to for a general and specific overview of all aspects of this field of film/tv production.

Deggen
08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
While we're at it, I'd highly recommend the "Mastershots" series by Christopher Kenworthy. Great books for people (like me) who learn best from diagrams and pictures, rather than just words.

Thanks for sharing Simon.

stip
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Agreed, 'Mastershots' I and II are fantastic.

Brian@202020
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Not sure where you live Simon, but if you can get it, I recommend a subscription to American Cinematographer (http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/July2012/current.php). Best $30 you'll ever spend, I guarantee it.

Brian@202020
08-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Also the American Cinematographers manual.

Simon
08-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi,

I am based in the UK.

Nice one for those recommendations!

I will look into a subscription to American Cinematographer & see if Mastershots 1 & 2 are available...

No problem, you are all sharing your insights with me in terms of camera technology and cinematography etc, so I thought why not return the favour and post my favourite book on the audio side of things up here :)

Cheers

JIKIJI
08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I know it may not be a legit copy, but if you type pdf on google you'll find ones online.
I live in the middle of nowhere in Ireland and couldn't find a copy anywhere so it helped me meanwhile.

pharpsied
09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Linda Aronson's 21st Century Screenplay is amazing... Since story is the foundation, I figured I'd throw that in...

nickjbedford
09-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I've started reading Cinematography: Theory and Practice (II Edition).

Seems decent so far.

nihilessence
09-02-2012, 12:23 AM
'Hitchcock', A life in Darkness and Light is great because his career spans a good portion of the development of the medium as it is today, and it also demonstrates his mastery of the business and publicity, which is just as important as anything else if you want to be viable. He is also arguably the foremost film artist. My favorite film is Vertigo, which topped the Sight and Sound poll just recently.

On a nuts and bolts level, I would recommend reading things like 'The Production Designer's Handbook', the VES Handbook (visual effects), The ASC book as mentioned, 'Set Lighting Technician's Handbook' As an introductory overview, 'Film Directing' from focal press is great. 'Motion Picture and Video Lighting' by Brown. 'Directing Actors' is great. For an understanding of dramatic structure, 'The collected works of William Shakespeare'.

On a business level 'The Hollywood Economist' is great. It's a counter-intuitive business by all accounts.

EDIT: I forgot books for independent filmmakers: 'How I made 100 movies and never lost a dime' by Roger Corman, who is the father of the genre flick and brought up many of the big names in the past 40 years. Understanding how to make a spectacle on the cheap is gold for low budget filmmakers.

popcornflix
09-02-2012, 06:15 AM
If you could only buy four books to improve your indie filmmaking, they'd be:
Save The Cat - Snyder (Screenwriting)
Shot By Shot - Katz (Directing)
DV Rebel's Guide - Maschwitz (Using Post for Action)
From Reel To Deal - Simons (Business of Indie Films)

If you did nothing more than read these four books, and do everything they say, you'd be making cool pictures and making money.

nihilessence
09-02-2012, 07:01 AM
If you could only buy four books to improve your indie filmmaking, they'd be:
Save The Cat - Snyder (Screenwriting)
Shot By Shot - Katz (Directing)
DV Rebel's Guide - Maschwitz (Using Post for Action)
From Reel To Deal - Simons (Business of Indie Films)

If you did nothing more than read these four books, and do everything they say, you'd be making cool pictures and making money.

+1 for DV rebel's guide.

David R
09-02-2012, 07:55 AM
All good books mentioned here.
I'd like to recommend:
Directing Actors-Judith Westin
Story-Robert Mckee
Making Movies-Sydney Lumet (first hand account from one of the greatest directors)
Rebel without a crew-Robert Rodriguez (pretty inspiring, and a fun read)

There is also a a plethora of books on particular directors, if you have a favorite director look up books on them. Some of them may have even written books themselves.
I just picked up these two great books Altman on Altman and Interviews with Mike Leigh
Fascinating interviews, it will make you want to re-watch all their movies as they go into them.

Brad Ferrell
09-02-2012, 08:09 AM
I recommend you start buying or at least shopping on Amazon.com. They make excellent recommendations of other books you might want to read based on the shopping habits of others.

David R
09-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I recommend you start buying or at least shopping on Amazon.com. They make excellent recommendations of other books you might want to read based on the shopping habits of others.

Yeah....every time I order from amazon I end up with around seven books :eek:

hgher
09-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I recently finished On Directing Film by David Mamet and I'd recommend it, although you'd want to read a few pages to see if you like his style but the content is otherwise good. Now starting on some American Cinematographer magazines I borrowed from my uni's library.

(and secretly, the BMCC manual)