PDA

View Full Version : BMCC in a production/editing set up: is this computer too old?

Nicole_Elmer
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

With much excitement, I've added my name to the purchase waitlist for the BMCC and have started researching/planning for the other items I will have to get with the camera.

To my chagrin, I THINK I might have to do a major computer purchase in order to properly ingest shot footage from the camera into the workstation, but would like your opinion.
I currently own a late 2007 Mac Pro, running with 13 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, editing on FCP 7. The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. After looking at Davinci Resolve's configuration guide, it would appear one cannot use any Mac Pros earlier than 2008. My video card is also not compatible with the newer versions of Resolve.

Ack!

I would like to wait until the new MacPros come out, before dropping a bag of cash on a new editing station, since the camera and peripherals will be costly enough.

Does one HAVE to use Resolve in order to injest RAW footage from the BMCC? If not, what other options are available? If so, is there any cheap way to get my current computer up to speed enough JUST to use for shooting and capturing the footage, then sometime later when we have a new computer, edit from there?

I'm still learning about all of this and the workflow seems to be a bit new yet (and no whitepapers yet from BMD, it seems.)

Thanks everyone for your advice and expertise!

N Elmer
www.bluepaperfilm.com

DIT
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

With much excitement, I've added my name to the purchase waitlist for the BMCC and have started researching/planning for the other items I will have to get with the camera.

To my chagrin, I THINK I might have to do a major computer purchase in order to properly ingest shot footage from the camera into the workstation, but would like your opinion.
I currently own a late 2007 Mac Pro, running with 13 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, editing on FCP 7. The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. After looking at Davinci Resolve's configuration guide, it would appear one cannot use any Mac Pros earlier than 2008. My video card is also not compatible with the newer versions of Resolve.

Ack!

I would like to wait until the new MacPros come out, before dropping a bag of cash on a new editing station, since the camera and peripherals will be costly enough.

Does one HAVE to use Resolve in order to injest RAW footage from the BMCC? If not, what other options are available? If so, is there any cheap way to get my current computer up to speed enough JUST to use for shooting and capturing the footage, then sometime later when we have a new computer, edit from there?

I'm still learning about all of this and the workflow seems to be a bit new yet (and no whitepapers yet from BMD, it seems.)

Thanks everyone for your advice and expertise!

N Elmer
www.bluepaperfilm.com

No need for Resolve at all my man. Ingest as you normally would, I recomend shotput pro for offloading media. Download the Resolve beta (it's free) and see if it runs on your system. Just because your card isn't listed in the HCL, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Give it a try.

ianim8
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
You dont need Resolve, you will want Resolve ;)
But yes you dont need it to acquire.
Im hoping Desktop Video from BMD will be fine for ingesting into workstation.

Grug
08-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I have the same basic setup with a better video card. 2007 MacPro (4-core 2.66Ghz), 13GB RAM, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, OS10.6.8, editing on FCP6.

You'll struggle with DNGs, have no doubts about that. But upgrade your video card (pretty cheap these days) and you'll be able to cut through ProRes HQ like butter.

Since I picked up my PIX240 and switched to shooting exclusively in ProRes - my machine's been churning through footage faster than ever before (I can literally edit MUCH faster now, than I could when the machine was brand spanking new and high-end).

Switching to a ProRes shoot-edit workflow will literally give your MacPro a new lease on life (you get both much higher quality footage than you're used to, and a rapidly fast post workflow) it really is a revelation.

If you're set on shooting RAW though, you're going to need to upgrade.

Nicole_Elmer
08-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your valuable input.

I'm thinking the video card upgrade might be the best solution for now. I've read other posts here on the forums and GeForce 570 seems to be a good and more affordable option.

Onward ho...

Brad Ferrell
08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I've got two GTX 570s and they rock.

funwithstuff
08-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Get an SSD for a boot drive if you really want to speed up the general feel of the machine. Get FCP X as well, much faster than FCP 7. As posted above, get a new GPU.

One big problem with a 200 Mac Pro is that you can't use Mountain Lion, and some newer software is going to require it. Resolve 9 reportedly needs Mountain Lion with ATI cards (and the beta kernel panicked for me with Lion) so go for Nvidia. I should probably note that a 2007 Mac Pro is probably old/slow enough to be outclassed by even a modern notebook, so you'd want to do some serious tests before committing too much money to upgrades. Maybe just do enough to carry you over to next year's promised big Mac Pro upgrade?

Cheezweezl
08-19-2012, 02:20 AM
I've got two GTX 570s and they rock.

In a Mac pro? Does the 570 need two power connections like the 285 does? If so, how are you powering two of them?

Brad Ferrell
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
in a hot-rod PC. Each 570 has a power input. I upgraded my power supply to 1000W and it has two connectors to power the GPUs.