PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who shoot music videos

Michael Sharps
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I am planning an upcoming music video shoot for a bluegrass band that will be used for marketing/promotion on the web via youtube and vimeo. We are going to use a track from their CD and sync in post. Camera will be the bmpcc.

My question is, what frame rate do you recommend/prefer for shooting music videos? 24fps or 30fps?

misterkofa
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
24 fps for sure. But for some parts you can shoot at 30 then interpolate to 24 and get a slow motion-ish effect. And if you have twixtor, you can slow down the 30p footage even further.

kgimedia
01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
There are some reasons to shoot 30 but Bluegrass music video is 24 all day long.

Michael Sharps
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input. Going with 24.

Michael Carter
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Stuff I learned from my first few music vids, years ago - still holds true:

Break the song apart into sections (shots) to fit your songlist/storyboards/ideas (use audacity, it's free if you don't have software). Label the audio clips to match your shot list. Have plenty of intro & outro.

Stick all of those on a phone or ipad and put someone in charge of playback. Train the person so you can say "shot 22" and they'll cue it up. It REALLY SUCKS getting someone to "find the 2nd half of the 1st chorus".

Make sure you have a good, audible playback system. For a singer songwriter, any sort of iPod dock is fine. For a rock band with drums, you need a PA.

If the performers have to synch up to the start of the song, get the band to give you a version with a click track & intro countoff. This is huge. Also for song sections with pauses or no drums.

If you can't get that, make a click track in audacity/protools/whatever and slide it 2 bars ahead of the start. Make it clear what beat yo're on - usually the first click/beep is louder or higher pitched than the next 3 beats.

For a complex concept, or something with a lot of shots: your edit is LOCKED timewise by the song. So make storyboards - even napkin sketches - scan them and drop 'em in your NLE or flash. Do an edit to the song and see how many shots you really won't use due to time. Even do simple pans or dollies (animated version of those arrows on a storyboard). I think this is one of the smartest things you can do with a music video - go into shooting after already having edited it once. Might just be a little helpful, might be huge on time savings and getting shots that truly work.

Shoot plenty of b-roll for each setup - closeups on strings, rack-focus, details, OTS, back views, whatever. You won't beleive how easy it is to need 2 seconds of footage somewhere and just not have it...

Michael Sharps
01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Stuff I learned from my first few music vids, years ago - still holds true: ...

Michael, this is golden! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge here. Breaking up the audio into shots, and creating a 2-bar click intro is something I hadn't thought of yet and will save a lot of time/headaches.

I'm definitely in agreement with storyboarding to the audio track. I have FrameForge Previz where I can setup the shots and create animated pans, dollies, etc. so I can be as prepared (and confident) as possible on the day of the shoot.

The shoot is still 6-8 weeks out, but I'll post the results and postmortem when it's completed (only if it turned out good ;))