PDA

View Full Version : ASA when shooting RAW on the Pocket

NickB
12-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Should I be on 800ASA all the time or is 200 and 400 fine? I know the native is 800 to get the best dynamic range....

Adam Roberts
12-09-2013, 12:53 PM
ASA is just meta data. It can be changes in post.

It has been reported that the only ASA that maps the info differently is 1600ASA, which helps with the shadows.

Other than than that, shooting at 200ASA is the same as shooting at 800ASA. Only difference is the image on the screen.

innerspark
12-10-2013, 02:47 AM
It is Metadata, but there's nothing wrong with keeping best practices and exposing properly on set and making a habit of it.

It's native ISO is 800, and I generally keep it there, unless I wanna go for more crushed blacks then I go to 400. Haven't really touched anything outside of those two.

Adam Roberts
12-10-2013, 04:07 AM
It is Metadata, but there's nothing wrong with keeping best practices and exposing properly on set and making a habit of it.

Totally agree. Both my BMCC and BMPCC live at 800ASA and I expose for that.

Dropping the ASA down in camera does help with seeing what is on screen when shooting a bright scene tho.

razz16mm
12-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Metadata or not, the sensor performs best when optimally exposed. I see way to much footage that is underexposed by two or three stops when it is totally unnecessary to do so.

NickB
12-13-2013, 07:49 PM
so keep at 800?

chrisso
12-14-2013, 06:07 AM
I go between 800 and 400. Mostly 800.

Joshua Cadmium
12-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Okay, I think I'm going to shatter some expectations here, but bear with me. :)

For raw, it doesn't matter whether you set the ASA at 200, 400, or 800, as nothing changes - unless you're monitoring in Video mode, which I don't like doing. Based on my tests, exposing for 200 ASA gives the least amount of noise and most dynamic range.

For ProRes, I actually prefer 200 ASA, for the same reasons as above (noise and dynamic range) - but also because it is the same exposure as raw! Try it out - set monitoring to film, look at the exposure under raw, then switch to ProRes. It's exactly the same!

Some people seem wary of doing this because it appears that reds will clip if the exposure is too hot. However, this is actually not the case (and I have my zebras set at 100%.)

First, in Resolve, the Blackmagic Film to 709 LUT should be applied last in the Node tree after everything is brought to neutral, or the LUT itself will clip the reds.

Second, Blackmagic's color science for the Pocket (and probably the BMCC, which I don't have) over emphasizes reds and cyans. If you desaturate these a bit (plus add saturation to yellow, green, and magenta - although I'll go into that later) color looks much better and reds, especially skin tones, look more neutral.

I've been doing a fair amount of testing with all of this and I should have a definite write up in the next week or so about exposure and getting proper, neutral colors with the Pocket.

Taj Jackson
12-14-2013, 02:58 PM

For raw, it doesn't matter whether you set the ASA at 200, 400, or 800, as nothing changes - unless you're monitoring in Video mode, which I don't like doing. Based on my tests, exposing for 200 ASA gives the least amount of noise and most dynamic range.

For ProRes, I actually prefer 200 ASA, for the same reasons as above (noise and dynamic range) - but also because it is the same exposure as raw! Try it out - set monitoring to film, look at the exposure under raw, then switch to ProRes. It's exactly the same!

Some people seem wary of doing this because it appears that reds will clip if the exposure is too hot. However, this is actually not the case (and I have my zebras set at 100%.)

First, in Resolve, the Blackmagic Film to 709 LUT should be applied last in the Node tree after everything is brought to neutral, or the LUT itself will clip the reds.

Second, Blackmagic's color science for the Pocket (and probably the BMCC, which I don't have) over emphasizes reds and cyans. If you desaturate these a bit (plus add saturation to yellow, green, and magenta - although I'll go into that later) color looks much better and reds, especially skin tones, look more neutral.

I've been doing a fair amount of testing with all of this and I should have a definite write up in the next week or so about exposure and getting proper, neutral colors with the Pocket.
Looking forward to your write up.

JuMo
12-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Also looking forward to your write up, because your 200 ASA comment is contradictory to what I have been hearing: 200 and 400 ASA = less dynamic range than 800 ASA in ProRes and that 200,400 and 800 ASA have exactly the same DR in RAW. So I'm very curious to see how you came to your conclusions!

CaptainHook
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I rate the camera at 400 personally, i like the BMCC and Pocket at one stop over it's native. Exposure is preference though.
Also in Prores the curve for ASA400 has less contrast than ASA800 and i prefer it - even though you lose a tiny bit of DR up top.