PDA

View Full Version : Rokinon 24MM 1.4 vs Zeiss 18mm Distagon 3.5

awbacon
08-09-2012, 09:31 PM
So in the last few days or so, I have been rethinking one of my lens selections for when my bmc arrives, and I can't really come to any worthwhile conclusion, so I thought I'd throw it to the community to sway me one direction or another

To start...I absolutely do know about the vast difference in construction between these two lenses, their aperture differences, focal differences when mounted in conjunction with the crop factor of the bmc, ect ect ect. I realize I would be sacrificing some speed @ the 3.5 the distagon provides vs. the 1.4 of the Rokinon (or 1.8, since there seems to be some dispute online whether or not the Rokinon actually achieves a true f/1.4, or if both f/1.4 and f/1.8 are the same aperture, based on metering results in still modes on DSLR's) but considering I'd probably try to hit f/4 to f/5.6 on the Rokinon anyway (the sweet spot) for both look and ease of focusing via handheld, this doesn't end up as much of a downside of the Zeiss.

I also have a few different Nikon f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses with the Cinevate adapter mounted on them, so if I absolutely need such a large aperture for low light shooting, I can swap lenses (although my 1.4 is a 50mm not factoring in the crop, and my 1.8 is a 25mm not factoring crop)

My real question is whether or not it's worth the jump in price ($700 for the Rokinon vs $1400 for the Zeiss) for the more bombproof Zeiss lens.

Considering the 18mm will be a tiny bit shorter than a "normal" lens on the bmc, and the Rokinon will be a bit more than "normal", that isn't much of a consideration for me, especially since I have other lenses (zooms, not primes) that will cover my needs.

So...what do you guys think? Is the Zeiss and it's full metal construction worth doubling the price? An I going to regret spending $700 on the Rokinon and want to upgrade sooner rather than later? Should I save the $700 and put that towards the eventual purchase of the CP.2?

Help me out on this! haha

JIKIJI
08-09-2012, 10:04 PM
You'd be better off buying those Rokinon cine prime lenses (14mm, 24mm, 35mm) and basically rent CP.2s for your most important shoots? You'd save a lot of money, its what I'm going to do anyways.

awbacon
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I did see the 24mm T1.5..due out sometime in September, so I will see how the feedback on that is once it releases. I'd imagine it's a rehousing of the 24mm lens I mentioned above though, so I can't imagine the optical quality being very far off

I could rent the CP.2 as well, but I am always adverse to renting gear multiple times vs. cost of ownership. I hate situations where over the course of time I could spend 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of ownership on nothing more than a rental (especially when I could, from time to time, rent the lens itself out if I wanted)

Grug
08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I did see the 24mm T1.5..due out sometime in September, so I will see how the feedback on that is once it releases. I'd imagine it's a rehousing of the 24mm lens I mentioned above though, so I can't imagine the optical quality being very far off

I could rent the CP.2 as well, but I am always adverse to renting gear multiple times vs. cost of ownership. I hate situations where over the course of time I could spend 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of ownership on nothing more than a rental (especially when I could, from time to time, rent the lens itself out if I wanted)

It isn't even a rehousing, it's the exact same lens with a clickless aperture, T-stop markings instead of F-stops, and gear-rings built into the focus and aperture rings.

Any review of the regular 24mm will give you accurate feedback on the lens, the cine-version is simply setup better for video work.

maccane
08-10-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm also struggeling with the samyang 24mm lens I sell mine sigma 30mm because of the leak focus ring and don't want a other lens with the same problem.
Which one of you can give a good advice, I need a fast wide angle lens in short time under $1000 ....

Jason M.
08-10-2012, 07:08 AM
I also have a few different Nikon f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses with the Cinevate adapter mounted on them, so if I absolutely need such a large aperture for low light shooting, I can swap lenses (although my 1.4 is a 50mm not factoring in the crop, and my 1.8 is a 25mm not factoring crop)

What 25mm 1.8 do you have? Didn't know Nikon made one of those.

awbacon
08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675829-USA/Nikon_2184_AF_S_Nikkor_24mm_f_1_4G.html

Sorry. 24mm f/1.4. Too many numbers in my original post I could barely keep it all straight haha

This lens would require a smart mount on the bmc though, since it lacks an aperture ring. Need to wait and see how the smart adapters function on the bmc before I know it's even doable

That's part of the reason I am looking at a different 24mm lens. I want a physical aperture ring and a non-Nikon directional focus ring

Jason M.
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675829-USA/Nikon_2184_AF_S_Nikkor_24mm_f_1_4G.html

Sorry. 24mm f/1.4. Too many numbers in my original post I could barely keep it all straight haha

This lens would require a smart mount on the bmc though, since it lacks an aperture ring. Need to wait and see how the smart adapters function on the bmc before I know it's even doable

That's part of the reason I am looking at a different 24mm lens. I want a physical aperture ring and a non-Nikon directional focus ring

Ah, got it. Lenses without manual aperture rings really annoy me, particularly in this day and age where it's becoming more possible to use any number of different lenses on different camera bodies via adapters, etc. I know that's most of the new lenses from both Nikon and Canon, but I don't have to like it.

That Nikon 24mm is a really beautiful still lens, though. Shame it's not terribly good for cine work.

Fluoro
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM

You do know you could use the Novoflex adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724050-REG/Novoflex_EOSNIK_NT_EOS_NIK_NT_Lens_Adapter_for.htm l)with its manual aperture adjustment lever?

awbacon
08-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I have seen that, but for the price I wasn't too interested. I am trying to get some uniformity in my lens set for the bmc as opposed to mixing and matching too much gear.

I already have the rokinon on order (will probably switch to the cine 24mm) and a 18-80 manual aperture tamron (surprisingly sharp and nicely built) and 50mm Nikon 1.4 prime with aperture. So I've got all manual aperture lenses, but two different focusing directions. I'm hesitant to buy a $300 adapter for my other, non aperture ring Nikkor right now.

gsbe
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
fwiw, I think the Zeiss 18mm/3.5 is an amazing lens for the BMCC. I rented the 35mm/f2 first and didn't love the distances I had to shoot at. The 18mm is sharp and feels very smooth under your hands, I'm impressed so far with the lens.

Vegas Bob
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
+1 for the Zeiss 18mm
I got mine on eBay for $1050.
If you can find one in good condition around $1000 it's a no brainer

gsbe
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
The first thing I noticed is that it frames things like I see them. I think the OP was referring to this when he said a "normal" lens...is that correct? Anyways, I am really digging the 18mm/3.5 from Zeiss so far.

Cengiz Özgök
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I had the Rokinon 24 mm f1.4 nice fast number f1.4 , but totally useless it get sharp above f2.8 and it does't satisfied me.
I send it back the 35 mm must be better I red.
I just order the Zeiss 25mm f2.0 and now I know the difference this lens is scary sharp for me it's worth the extra dollars

nbon
03-19-2013, 06:11 PM
I own a couple of the Rokinons and think they are a great value. The fast aperature really helps with the small BMC sensor. The Rokinons are not a very hardy lens...very plasticky. Not great for the rough and tumble world of production but they have been invaluable. I got the standard kind...don't find clicking the f stops much of a hinderance. I did get a strap on lens gear from Wide Open Camera.

N