PDA

View Full Version : Creative camera case labeling systems

Brian@202020
11-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I was on on of my first feature film job as an AC many years ago and the DP I was working with had all the camera cases labeled with flags from different countries. He'd say things like "Go in France and get me the wireless follow focus unit". I learned flags quickly. I went home the first night of the feature, stayed up way too late, memorized flags, and by the next day I had all the flags down. Anyway I've seen a few other creative labeling systems over the years, and I finally came up with my own system. What do you all think?

I have 6 of my cases labeled so far. The three Activision games are accessory cases, the two classic games are lens cases, and my carry on travel case is Q-Bert. I still have a few cases yet to label.

stevesherrick
11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Looks good Brian. Trying to figure out if that makes your cases(and hence gear inside) more or less attractive to thieves. Maybe a good side effect is anti-theft. Maybe they'll think you just have a bunch of old video games in there :-)

What do the insides of your cases look like? Always looking for ideas on better ways to pack. I'm constantly re-arranging cases.

Brian@202020
11-19-2013, 09:46 PM
There is a custom foam place near me called Industrial Foam. They do a decent job custom cuting foam and at a reasonable price. My three accessory cases are cheap Plano 4 pistol gun cases, my two lens cases are Portabrace 2400, my carry on travel case is a Pelican 1510, I also have a Portabrace 2600, and a Storm 2750. I'm slowly starting to do my cases right with custom foam, but I have yet to do all of them. My three accessory cases are lined on all sides with 1/2 inch polyethylene foam, my lens case are solid polyethylene foam with a convoluted polyurethane lid. One of the lens cases has six 4 1/2 inch circles cut all the way thru with various size plugs so I can adjust the hight different for every lens, and the other one has four 4 1/2 inch circles with plugs and a rectangle compartment. The rest of my cases are still a work in progress.

Michael Carter
11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Put your most expensive gear in a picnic cooler (add foam and dividers inside).

Add a red cross in a white circle, and (using stencil letters) put "HUMAN HEAD" under the red cross.

This should add some theft protection...

Brian@202020
11-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Put your most expensive gear in a picnic cooler (add foam and dividers inside).

Add a red cross in a white circle, and (using stencil letters) put "HUMAN HEAD" under the red cross.

This should add some theft protection...

I don't know, I'd probably take a cooler with that on it. :)

Thefiglah
11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
How do the flag labels save time, especially if a DP is asking for something specific, wouldn't they just ask for it?
I could see if there are a number of the same cases on set...

Cute factor is high though.

Fluoro
11-20-2013, 05:38 PM
How do the flag labels save time, especially if a DP is asking for something specific, wouldn't they just ask for it?
I could see if there are a number of the same cases on set...

You just answered your own question pretty much. It's so you you can say ""please grab the Nikon adapter. It's in Canada."

Leuke
12-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I like the idea of this for personal gear, nice and personal. It'd be a bit harder when boxes are coming in from different places for a shoot though, I'll stick to coloured tape and numbers for that I think.