PDA

View Full Version : Operational Specs

ianim8
08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
One thing I didn't consider before ordering this camera is operational specifications.
I'm up here in Canada Mid-West and we get some pretty nasty weather at both sides of the temp gauge.
Has anyone seen or hear of the BMCC ability to deal with minus 40 weather as well as plus 30?

rawCAM35
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
BMD is using Thermoelectric system for cooling the sensor, it is a Peltier effect in a cooling mode, it is cooling the sensor directly on one side and generating heat on the other side of the cooling plate, so the byproduct of of the cooling system ( heat ) might help this camera to deal with your - 40 weather.
I do not know how BMD dealing with condensation around the sensor??

I remember that I used to add a power resistor on film cameras with a separate battery to heat the camera in cold days.

Cornelius
08-04-2012, 04:11 PM
BMD is using Thermoelectric system for cooling the sensor, it is a Peltier effect in a cooling mode, it is cooling the sensor directly on one side and generating heat on the other side of the cooling plate, so the byproduct of of the cooling system ( heat ) might help this camera to deal with your - 40 weather.
I do not know how BMD dealing with condensation around the sensor??

I remember that I used to add a power resistor on film cameras with a separate battery to heat the camera in cold days.

Nice comment, thanks.

awbacon
08-04-2012, 04:56 PM
That's a really good question actually, and one that would be important to me as well. I remember back in the day my Canon XL1 was terrible in cold weather. The OIS lens would start to drag badly under 20 degrees, rendering an almost unusable image until it was heated up again. I used to have to tape hand warmers on the barrel of the lens itself to keep it going (used to shoot winter sports documentaries)

My Panasonics (DVX / HVX) were cold weather champions. Took them to Alaska / Europe in sub zero temperatures, and never a problem.

My current Nikon's operate perfectly in the extreme cold, but outdoors above 90 seem to like to overheat after an hour or so of use. Definately a problem

Hoping the BMC isn't suceptible to temperature issues

Cornelius
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
I used to have to tape hand warmers on the barrel of the lens itself to keep it going (used to shoot winter sports documentaries)

Haha, that made me chuckle.

awbacon
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Haha, that made me chuckle.

Yeah it was absolutely stupid looking...trying to focus a lens with a four pack of hand warmers gaffed to the barrel. Especially considering the specs of the XL1S listed the cold weather operation as way lower than any environment I ever encountered

With a track record like Black Magic has, I can't imagine them sending a fragile camera out into a production environment. Their gear is made to "work", so I doubt / hope it wouldn't be a problem.

I would also like to know what, if any, weather proofing the camera has. The SSD door seems like the most likely culprit to allow dust / debris / moisture into the camera body. I wonder if the SSD housing inside the camera is sealed from the rest of the electronics and just has the port for the drive to plug into (like any battery compartment on an SLR) or if there are holes or gaps that would allow something to get into the area of the camera housing the silicon / sensor

rawCAM35
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Try foam can holders, great on lenses for cold or hot weather.

John Brawley
08-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I haven't had it in extreme heat because...well....we're in the middle of winter. :-)

However, the camera is in effect, a gigantic heat sink. I've had the camera on for hours and it barely even feels warm.

There is a fan underneath which can just be heard in a quiet room. But unlike Epic etc it doesn't speed up or down.

I think it ahold be ok, but I haven't actually done the time with it. It's certainly not afraid of a little rain or water.

JB.

Jason M.
08-05-2012, 08:32 AM
There is a fan underneath which can just be heard in a quiet room. But unlike Epic etc it doesn't speed up or down.

So, how upset is the sound department going to be about working with this camera? If the fan doesn't speed down for recording, that might pose some issues, unless it's really quiet.

awbacon
08-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I haven't had it in extreme heat because...well....we're in the middle of winter. :-)

However, the camera is in effect, a gigantic heat sink. I've had the camera on for hours and it barely even feels warm.

I think it ahold be ok, but I haven't actually done the time with it. It's certainly not afraid of a little rain or water.

JB.

Thanks. That's a good start to figuring out an answer

I don't plan on bringing it to AK anytime soon (not traveling or shooting like that anymore) but I still like to know what my gear can / can't do (I used to go through 2-3 cameras a year, mostly because I had to ski / jump with them in my hand. Snapped a few lenses off a few dvx's one season whoops haha)

ianim8
08-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Some of my future projects will deal with freezing weather.
I will subject the GoPro for the stupid stuff and use the BMCC for controlled environment shots.
We froze a RED MX a few years shooting a tourism video.
It wasnt fun waiting for that behemoth to thaw again :P

awbacon
08-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Some of my future projects will deal with freezing weather.
I will subject the GoPro for the stupid stuff and use the BMCC for controlled environment shots.
We froze a RED MX a few years shooting a tourism video.
It wasnt fun waiting for that behemoth to thaw again :P

Yeah the gopro is bombproof in the cold. I also have a project this winter, all outdoors in Chicago, and we can get down to about 0-10 degrees Fahrenheit here, so I hope thats not a problem on the bmc ( that's if I get the camera by then )

John Brawley
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
So, how upset is the sound department going to be about working with this camera? If the fan doesn't speed down for recording, that might pose some issues, unless it's really quiet.

I've used it on set in quiet rooms and not had any complaints.

It's a LOT more silent than a RED or similar.

jb

cgurtlinger
08-05-2012, 03:38 PM

jb

I am definitely happy to hear that

Jason M.
08-05-2012, 06:02 PM

jb

+1 on the happy to hear (or not, as the case may be) that, too. Even with the fans cut to the default 50%, the Scarlet/Epic can be pretty damn loud.