PDA

View Full Version : Tokina 11-16mm DX II available for preorder on B&H

RyGuy
07-25-2012, 05:34 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882236-REG/Tokina_atx116prodxn_ii_AT_X_116_PRO_DX_II.html

JIKIJI
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
When is this coming out?

Macalincag
07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
When is this coming out?

You can get it right now if you really want to... from Asia.

nickjbedford
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Remember it's the Nikon DX version, not the Canon EF mount.

Jason M.
07-27-2012, 07:10 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882235-REG/Tokina_atx116prodxc_ii_AT_X_116_PRO_DX_II.html

Canon version here.

I'm assuming Tokina's been sending out samples for reviews, etc. Has anybody seen any reviews crop up yet? I'm interested to see what's changed from the original, besides the AF motor.

RyGuy
07-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I've been looking everywhere for reviews and nada. nothing. If someone can find one I'd be amazed. From what I read in the press releases, it has new multi-coating for better flare control (problem for the first version), and some CA tweaking so that it's gone. I may hold out for new one, and rent the old one till I see what the reviews say about it. Should drop the price at least on the first version.

mexicanmanchild
07-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Since this lens is for APS-C what exactly is the crop factor on the BMC? Not sure how the Math works on this conversion.

Macalincag
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Since this lens is for APS-C what exactly is the crop factor on the BMC? Not sure how the Math works on this conversion.

The crop factor is always the same (2.3x compared to full frame) as long as the image circle of the lens is large enough for the sensor you're using. Even if the image circle isn't large enough (such as 16mm glass), the crop factor would still be the same, there would just be vignetting. No additional math needed.

yoclay
07-27-2012, 06:51 PM

2.3x compared to Full Frame DSLR's like the 5D.
1.6x for an APSC compared to the 5D.

Cedric Akins
07-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Try this link. http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Vincent Thomas
07-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Is there no solid EF lens adapter to mount a nikon dx lens ?
I haven't checked myself so maybe im wrong, but would the nikon version not be a better option with non electronic aperture?

I guess the focus throw hasn't be changed unfortunately isn'it?

v*

Cedric Akins
07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Is there no solid EF lens adapter to mount a nikon dx lens ?
I haven't checked myself so maybe im wrong, but would the nikon version not be a better option with non electronic aperture?

I guess the focus throw hasn't be changed unfortunately isn'it?

v*

Have you looked on eBay? I found my Minolta M/MD to Canon EOS lens converter there.

Vincent Thomas
07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, i found and bought a lot's of adapter of Ebay. For contax and Leica. Fact is most of then are okay to play but majority of then are not reliable .

RyGuy
07-28-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm interested in de-clicking the nikon more then I am using the ef mount version, if that is possible.

Macalincag
07-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm interested in de-clicking the nikon more then I am using the ef mount version, if that is possible.

There's really nothing to "de-click" because there's no actual manual aperture ring. You can however, manually control the aperture with an adapter, but it isn't precise and you never know exactly which stop you're at. This is one of the many reasons why the Duclos 11-16mm is sought after, because you get exactly that, among other things.

JIKIJI
07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
on the japanese version of the tokina website, it says they are releasing the canon EF mount on Friday 3rd of august

Vincent Thomas
07-29-2012, 01:44 AM
The nikon version has no manual aperture ring?

There's really nothing to "de-click" because they're no actual manual aperture ring. You can however, manually control the aperture with an adapter, but it isn't precise and you never know exactly which stop you're at. This is one of the many reasons why the Duclos 11-16mm is sought after, because you get exactly that, among other things.

Fluoro
07-29-2012, 02:16 AM
The nikon version has no manual aperture ring?
No it does not.

Cornelius
07-29-2012, 06:26 AM
So I post in an active thread. Does anyone recommend cheap a Nikon to EF adapter? I've just picked up the Tokina.

Macalincag
07-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Does anyone recommend cheap a Nikon to EF adapter? I've just picked up the Tokina.

Not exactly cheap, but I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=724050&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Besides, you don't want any play or trouble focusing to infinity, so cheap isn't always a good thing.

Macalincag
07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Brian@202020 also provided a link to a video demonstrating it. I think he has one and recommends it as well.

Here is a video of an adapter in case others are interested in how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9kXwP3nXqE

Cornelius
07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Not exactly cheap, but I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=724050&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Besides, you don't want any play or trouble focusing to infinity, so cheap isn't always a good thing.

Thanks for the link. I had just saw that earlier too. I'll make sure I can find it online and keep the link. Cheap is my only option at this very immediate moment. So I've got one in the mail and we'll see how I go until I can upgrade.

pcenginefx
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Brian@202020 also provided a link to a video demonstrating it. I think he has one and recommends it as well.

I've used that adapter with my Tokina 11-16 on the NEX FS-100 and it works..............has a VERY short range of movement on the adjustment slider so don't expect any fine aperture changes.

markmwilliams
07-30-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm thinking of getting the Tokina as my standard wide for the BMCC but I'm a bit confused by the number of people going for the Nikon mount version? So am hoping for some advice here.

I totally understand the normal reason to go for Nikon lenses, with their manual aperture rings (get 'em declicked and you've got a cine style lens), however the Tokina doesn't have a manual aperture ring so unless you get the Duclos mod its never going to be true cine style.

There's the option of using an adaptor, but my understanding of adaptors is that they're always a compromise (less so the more expensive they are) your f stop becomes a guesstimate and possibly worse you could lose infinity focus - which I'd say is critical on a wide lens.

With the EF mount you are stuck with an electronic aperture at 1/3 stops on the lens (although is this really much worse than DX mount with an adaptor?) but it's the native mount for the BMCC and no worries about losing infinity focus etc.

So my question? Have I got this completely wrong? Is the Nikon Tokina the version to go for on the BMCC or will the compatability of the EF mount be best?

By best I mean I have no Nikon glass or cameras and am happy to stay in EF territory where having a true cine style lens isn't possible for that glass. My other lenses for the BMCC are vintage FD glass declicked and given an EF mount, so fully manual and cine style.

Macalincag
07-30-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm a bit confused by the number of people going for the Nikon mount version? So am hoping for some advice here.

The F-Mount is more adaptable than the Canon EF-Mount given it requires a further flange focal distance, being 46.5mm compared to EF's 44mm. Although you lose AF, which is not very desirable by many in the cinema world, you are virtually future-proofing your investment. For example, an F-Mount may go on an EF-Mount if it pleases, but not the other way around.

mhood
07-30-2012, 07:18 AM
My other lenses for the BMCC are vintage FD glass declicked and given an EF mount, so fully manual and cine style.

I have an old 120-600mm FD with what seems to be a bit of fungus on the front element. I wouldn't need it declicked but a good cleaning and an EF mount might make it a fantastic nature lens for my BMC. Where did you get your work done?

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a thread about the Tokina 11-16mm. Could the FD 120-600mm possibly be any further OT? Sorry...

Philip Lipetz
07-30-2012, 07:43 AM
If you go with the Nikon mount you may give up the auto aperture adjustment that seems be inherent in the BMCC button that makes sure nothing is peaking too high. However, this feature has not been fully described yet.

markmwilliams
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies - still slightly up in the air on the Tokina then. I might wait to see how the EF features on the BMCC actually work before making a final call on that.

There's a guy in Scotland called Eddie Houston who EF mounts, cleans up and declicks old FD lenses. He can be found at www.thelensdoctor.co.uk and I'm pretty sure he does international work. I can't recommend his lens mods highly enough and looking forward to using some great vintage glass on my BMCC

mbeck
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I am going for the Canon mount for two reasons.

1. I want to use any control that the BMC will give me remotely.

2. I have a 7D as my B-cam and I want to be able to use it's auto focus for stills.