PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum Conversion: Blackmagic IR

Tim Hole
09-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Has anyone looked into converting either BMPCC or BMCC, for Infrared?

I have asked BM but they said they have no plans to offer the service, and wouldn't state whether it is a camera suited to conversion—an expected response in one respect, but Red offer the service so I thought I would ask for their thoughts anyway.

I have specific plans for its use, but am obviously a little concerned about one of my BMC's being the guinea pig. I'm waiting for response from a few companies in the UK that have experience with conversions but my gut feeling is, most companies are used to converting DSLR's and not motion cameras.

A filter will make exposure times unworkable. As there is not OLPF, the IR Blocking filter must be self contained which might work in my favour.

Any thoughts?

Tom
09-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Has anyone looked into converting either BMPCC or BMCC, for Infrared?

I have asked BM but they said they have no plans to offer the service, and wouldn't state whether it is a camera suited to conversion—an expected response in one respect, but Red offer the service so I thought I would ask for their thoughts anyway.

I have specific plans for its use, but am obviously a little concerned about one of my BMC's being the guinea pig. I'm waiting for response from a few companies in the UK that have experience with conversions but my gut feeling is, most companies are used to converting DSLR's and not motion cameras.

A filter will make exposure times unworkable. As there is not OLPF, the IR Blocking filter must be self contained which might work in my favour.

Any thoughts?

From what I have gathered from my own research, I SUSPECT (read: do not know) that the void between the protective glass inside the lens mount and the sensor itself is actually a vacuum. I found several other cameras using the same Sensor + cooling system and part of the cooling system depended on this. If true, it means that any 3rd party work on modifying the sensor would be very difficult.

Another bit of info I have gathered, if indeed the BMCC sensor is the BAE CIS2051 then its spectral response is 370 nm - 1100 nm - this is of course in its unfiltered state - but at least it should give you some idea for the feasibility of such a modification.

Tim Hole
09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that Tom, that's a good start. I'll let you know if I further validate or acquire new information. I might just get a GH2 converted as apparently they work quite well and it would less of a risk. A hacked GH2 IR would cut ok with BMCC I think—if handled correctly.. The other option is hiring Red IR.