PDA

View Full Version : A Cam/B Cam: BMCC/BMPCC or BMCC/6D

thejohnmwhite
09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Hello, everyone. My name is John and I'm new here. :-)

I did a quick search in the forums and couldn't find an opinion or examples of footage cut between BMCC and the BMPCC or BMCC and a 6D. My old set up was a Canon 5D mk II and Canon 6D. The new setup (for now) is the BMCC and Canon 6D. Anyone been in a similar situation and decided to get the BMPCC as well?

Any links of the above setups or opinions would be appreciated.

John
thejohnmwhite.com
lucidmuse.com

Tom
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I did a short film where 80% was shot on a 5d Mkii and 20% on a BMCC in Raw mode.

https://vimeo.com/64307505
https://vimeo.com/64307505

0:00-3:00 = 5d Mkii
3:00-3:30 = BMCC
3:30-4:30 = 5d Mkii
4:30-7:10 = BMCC
7:10-10:30= 5d Mkii

The filming day for the BMCC was literally the day after the camera arrived, so I had little practice with it - subsequently I am able to get much better looking images from the camera which display a greater difference between it and the 5d Mkii.

thejohnmwhite
09-25-2013, 01:10 PM
The filming day for the BMCC was literally the day after the camera arrived, so I had little practice with it - subsequently I am able to get much better looking images from the camera which display a greater difference between it and the 5d Mkii.

Thanks Tom, looks fabulous. Having worked with the camera a lot more (I checked out a number of your BMCC tests, btw, looks great as well), do you find yourself wanting to not use the 5D because it's harder to grade?

Tom
09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks Tom, looks fabulous. Having worked with the camera a lot more (I checked out a number of your BMCC tests, btw, looks great as well), do you find yourself wanting to not use the 5D because it's harder to grade?

The only time I have used my 5D since getting the BMCC is to film the BMCC itself haha. The difference in image quality and flexibility is night and day.

mbeck
09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome John!

I have been using my 7D as my B-Cam for my BMCC.. and I really hate doing it. Matching color has been a nightmare. Thankfully I just got my BMPC, and am getting rid of my 7D.

Hello, everyone. My name is John and I'm new here. :-)

I did a quick search in the forums and couldn't find an opinion or examples of footage cut between BMCC and the BMPCC or BMCC and a 6D. My old set up was a Canon 5D mk II and Canon 6D. The new setup (for now) is the BMCC and Canon 6D. Anyone been in a similar situation and decided to get the BMPCC as well?

Any links of the above setups or opinions would be appreciated.

John
thejohnmwhite.com
lucidmuse.com

Grug
09-25-2013, 06:14 PM
If at all possible stretch for a second BMC, being able to share media and accessories will almost certainly make it a cheaper option than outfitting a Pocket Cam.

thejohnmwhite
09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks Michael and Grug.

I had access to a 7D for a while, so I totally understand not wanting to use it with a BMCC or even a 5D. I found that the high ISO just didn't compare, and obviously the DOF didn't match as well. I've used it as a second camera when I had to, but would rather have matching cameras if I could. I find that that the 6D handles skin tones better than the 5D mk II. That, and the acceptable ISO levels are close to the 5D mk III.

I will consider the second BMCC instead of a BMPCC. The way prices are going, it looks like it's almost the same price. ;-) More media and battery solutions, but otherwise pretty close right now.

John M. White
www.thejohnmwhite.com
www.lucidmuse.com