PDA

View Full Version : BMCC EF and BMPC in doco, To match or not to match?

Peter Culley
09-11-2013, 10:32 PM
I am seeking opinions on using both cameras in a doco I wish to shoot on Alzheimers disease.

Much of the script so far involves interviews with people that I would like to have two cameras running and to break viewpoint every so often to B cam (pocket cam). I foresee there being many moments of silence and 'confusion' that maybe the right time to edit to B to then cut to carers and even policy makers within the government for the impending increase of demand for dementia care.
Ideally, I know to match footage exactly or close as I should use another EF body BUT the money is tight.

Would you attempt to match the footage as closely as possible or leave the subtle distinction?

The pocket cam will be necessary as there will be what I call tag along scenes of interviewees returning to places of their childhoods etc. I envisage these will begin inside a car to have them set the story, the arrival and to observe moments of confounding clarity. The pocketcam will be far less intrusive and a lesser distraction on location.

Fluoro
09-12-2013, 06:44 AM
I would match them as closely as possible. I mean they can look almost identical so if there are minor differences it will just look like a lazy grade IMO. With a good grade probably no one will notice they were two different cameras.

scorsesefan
09-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes, I would match as close as possible and if you want to have some scenes to have a different look do it in post.

Brian@202020
09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
The footage from the two look nearly identical right out of the camera. Of course you have the FoV change and DoF change, but the color characteristics are nearly identical. The only differences to the image is the BMPCC has slightly more/bigger noise due to it being a cropped version of the BMCC sensor, as well as the slight sharpness difference when shooting RAW or the perceived sharpness difference when shooting compressed. You can easily correct for those to differences, but honestly the only people that will probably see the differences are pixel peepers, which is not the majority of the people that will be watching the doc. You could easily treat the footage between the two camera's the same, and more than likely no one would know they were two different cameras.

Peter Culley
09-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Gentlemen!

I am glad I asked and I see the logic in all suggestions.