PDA

View Full Version : Creating Maximum Depth with Mimimum Fixtures

pharpsied
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Looking at the examples here, I am wondering how we can make the best use of the latitude of the camera within the limits of small lighting kits to create up to 10 to 1 contrast ratios for indoor shoots and depth in scenes on location.

Just wondering.

nickjbedford
07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Use scrims, barn doors, and generally light for dramatic effect? Use less light in your background than on your shot's subject. Use hard key light angles with subtle fill and hair light?

This is probably more of a general lighting question than anything specific to BMD. Most DSLR photographs and film/digital cinema shots would be able to achieve a similar image using the same lighting so it's relatively independent.

pharpsied
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Use scrims, barn doors, and generally light for dramatic effect? Use less light in your background than on your shot's subject. Use hard key light angles with subtle fill and hair light?

This is probably more of a general lighting question than anything specific to BMD. Most DSLR photographs and film/digital cinema shots would be able to achieve a similar image using the same lighting so it's relatively independent.

The question is more like. I am a young filmmaker; I got a BMC for Christmas; I've got access to a 1k Tungsten and the sun, how do I exploit the latitude of this camera to achieve good contrast ratios in deep staging shots with what I've got.
Is this a question for me necessarily, no. But there are people who will come here with that set up... I know it for a fact, and I was asking for them.