PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good inexpensive Macro Lens for bmc ef.

wyatt
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I have my eyes on the Nikon 55 micro 2.8 or 3.5. Thoughts on these lenses or any other good budget macros?

Jason M.
08-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I've had both of them, and both are great macro lenses. Still have the 2.8, though I use it less now than when I was shooting 35mm stills; at that point, it would often be my go-to walkaround normal lens. Really sharp, great close focus. Haven't tried it out yet on my BMCC; need to get a Nikon to MFT adapter, but I'd imagine it would work very nicely for macro purposes, though it would probably be pretty breathe-y.

Andrew
08-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey Wyatt, have you considered using a lens that's not necessarily marked as "macro"? You can make do with less magnification when shooting with a FF-35mm lens on the BMCC. It's kind of a nice effect of using lenses designed for a much larger format on the smaller BMCC sensor. I guess it all depends on which lenses you have available and what you're shooting, but I've been pretty impressed with some of my non-macro lenses on the BMCC.

It looks like that 55mm Nikon 2.8 has a .5x magnification. On the BMCC you could use a 55mm lens with a bit less than .25x magnification and get similar results to using the 55mm .5x on a 35mm stills camera.

Hearnia
08-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I got a sigma 50mm f2.8 macro off of ebay for $110. It is awesome. I use it as an interview lens on my 7D.

wyatt
08-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey Wyatt, have you considered using a lens that's not necessarily marked as "macro"? You can make do with less magnification when shooting with a FF-35mm lens on the BMCC. It's kind of a nice effect of using lenses designed for a much larger format on the smaller BMCC sensor. I guess it all depends on which lenses you have available and what you're shooting, but I've been pretty impressed with some of my non-macro lenses on the BMCC.

It looks like that 55mm Nikon 2.8 has a .5x magnification. On the BMCC you could use a 55mm lens with a bit less than .25x magnification and get similar results to using the 55mm .5x on a 35mm stills camera.

I thought about this as well and maybe I really don't need one, or at least a lens with lens magnification. I probably should do some testing and see. Thanks Andrew.

wyatt
08-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I've had both of them, and both are great macro lenses. Still have the 2.8, though I use it less now than when I was shooting 35mm stills; at that point, it would often be my go-to walkaround normal lens. Really sharp, great close focus. Haven't tried it out yet on my BMCC; need to get a Nikon to MFT adapter, but I'd imagine it would work very nicely for macro purposes, though it would probably be pretty breathe-y.

Good to hear Jason, appreciate the info.