PDA

View Full Version : trouble with davinci resolve on PC

Peter917
08-03-2013, 09:30 PM
ok so i installed davinci resolve 9 on my PC it came with my BMCC. the preview for my video files when editing and grading is very small long and slim almost rectangle shaped and there is no way to drag it up or down to expand how big the video preview is when working. also when opening the scopes it opens them in a small window how can i customize my workspace to have what i want as tabs already open at all times? I especially need to know how to expand the video preview window as it is too small for me to work with. Thanks for any help thats given!

EDIT***

Also when im in the conform tab it seems to be cut off on the side? im using a flat screen tv as my monitor by the way.

Peter Chamberlain
08-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi Peter, it sounds like your pc and/or monitor doesn't meet the minimun specs. Please refer to the config guides at the top of the post production section of the BMD forum.
Peter.

Peter917
08-04-2013, 09:09 AM
that does not help me at all...my computer and my monitor are not the problem here the problem is the workspace. in after effects i can go to view and click certain things i want to be added to my workspace when im working how do i do this in resolve(i want the scopes to be in my workspace not a separate window i have to open up) and the playback screen for the media is small for some reason and it wont let me expand it, how do i customize my workspace to my needs

haavard
08-04-2013, 09:42 AM
The user interface is simply put not as flexible as some other software.
It sounds to me that your problem is that your screen resolution it too low.

When I used Resolve 8 on an old laptop (1680x1050) parts of the user interface was cut of on the sides on some of the Resolve screens and there was nothing I could do to change this. I ended up running with a virtual desktop with a higher resolution.

While the newer versions of Resolve are friendlier with low resolution screens you still need a fairly high resolution for a practical workflow. The scopes as far as I know are only available in a separate window and if I use them I keep them on a separate monitor.
If you are on OSX it is possible to set a custom size of an applications window, which would simulate a higher resolution.

Brad Ferrell
08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
The only resolutions that work with Resolve are 1920x1080 and 1920x1200. If you're using a different resolution for your display, Peter Chamberlain, who happens to work for BMD, is correct and you're computer or monitor or both are incompatible.

If you're having problems with the interface setup, that is entirely a Resolve thing and your computer/monitor combo is fine.

You'll notice in Resolve, there are different rooms with different uses. You must be on the color page to access the scopes. Scopes are always on top and can be resized by pulling the bottom right corner of the window. I know of no way to integrate it into the color page. I usually nest mine in between the timeline and the node window. I use 16x9 rather than 4x3 aspect ratio.

You can't re-size the image on the color page, but you can zoom into the image using the middle mouse wheel. With Resolve, it's more a matter of adjusting your workflow to the workspace. All of the features you mentioned from Adobe are not part of the program. There is a steep learning curve coming from Adobe.

J.F.R.
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
The only resolutions that work with Resolve are 1920x1080 and 1920x1200. If you're using a different resolution for your display, Peter Chamberlain, who happens to work for BMD, is correct and you're computer or monitor or both are incompatible.

Funny, My Monitor displays 2560 x 1440 and works Perfect (iMac).......

Truth be told to the OP, you need a monitor with at LEAST those specs noted, of course anything higher will work. Also Resolve is very demanding I bought a brand new iMac just for the BMCC and Resolve. I should have my Camera in a month or two, but my friend has one and currently using his.

Frank Glencairn
08-09-2013, 03:19 AM
You can't re-size the image on the color page, but you can zoom into the image using the middle mouse wheel. With Resolve, it's more a matter of adjusting your workflow to the workspace. All of the features you mentioned from Adobe are not part of the program. There is a steep learning curve coming from Adobe.

....and reading the manual (I know manual reading is considered as lame these days) really helps.

Brad Ferrell
08-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Frank that's a given, for me at least too. I read the Photoshop manual before I ever bought a Powermac. I read the Resolve User's Manual and Config Guide before settling on the software and hardware to run them and as lame as that sounds, I'm usually the one with the answers. I have hopes for this new generation that celebrates nerdiness.

As far as 2560x1440, that was a question I had for another thread. I'm looking at monitors right now and like one of the highend NECs'. It runs 2560x1400 too. Good to know.

Resolve is demanding on disk speed and graphic cards (GPU). CPU and RAM usage are minimal when compared to Adobe applications.