PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to get the 2.5k EF BMCC now..

pgeorges
07-31-2013, 02:01 PM
To start with, currently I use the Canon C100. I do a bunch of event work but have a few big narrative projects on the horizon and was hoping to get my hands on the 4K blackmagic for them.

However, I seem to have just performed a mental 180 and am seriously considering the blackmagic 2.5k EF mount camera now.

Here are my reasons, I'd love to hear what people think!

1. 13 Stops of DR is big
2. Extra stop at least of ISO sensitivity
3. LENSES. I currently have the tokina 11-16mm and the Sigma 18-35mm on my C100 and they would transform into amazing lenses on the bmcc. Giving me a 25-37mm 2.8 and a 41-80mm 1.8. That sigma really is the game changer for me.

Over the pocket camera I think the audio inputs, SDI, 2.5k RAW 2.3x crop and SSD storage are all big features.

I mightve considered the MFT version if not for the lack of an active mount. Am I wrong in going for the "old" blackmagic camera now? On the cusp of a bunch of new releases?

randyman
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Not wrong at all. I'm continually blown away by my EF BMCC, and paired with the Pocket cam, I'll be in great shape for a very wide range of shooting situations. And there is the now-famous comment by JB that he prefers the higher dynamic range of the BMCC over the increased resolution of the BMPC4K.

k0bayashi
07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Get it, it's fantastic. the more I use it, the more I learn. It's by far the best damn camera I've ever owned.

PaulDelVecchio
07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Either one of the cameras will get you great results. To be honest, go with what you think will suite you best. Don't listen to this garbage about your film being out of date because it's not 4K. If you make a good enough movie, no one will care what the resolution is. Also, does this mean that every movie shot on the Alexa is now out of date? No, so don't worry about the hype and get what suites you best. If Hollywood is still shooting HD/or approx 2.5K or 2.8K, then you have nothing to worry about.

Fruitvale Station was shot on Super 16 as a choice, and many of the hype-monsters say that format is out of date. Don't worry, just get what you think will work best for you when you need it.

rick.lang
07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
... I currently have the tokina 11-16mm and the Sigma 18-35mm on my C100 and they would transform into amazing lenses on the bmcc. Giving me a 25-37mm 2.8 and a 41-80mm 1.8. That sigma really is the game changer for me... I mightve considered the MFT version if not for the lack of an active mount. Am I wrong in going for the "old" blackmagic camera now? On the cusp of a bunch of new releases?

Seems there are no wrong answers in selecting any of the four cameras. Just one last thing to consider regarding the BMPCC active MFT option: add the EF/MFT Speed Booster coming soon and you will have the same sensitivity and dynamic range and gain one stop aperture and have a range of focal lengths equivalent to full-frame views from 22.5mm to 72mm with the Speed Booster and 32mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Just the Sigma 18-35mm becomes 37mm to 72mm with Speed Booster and 52mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Those ranges may suit your needs as long as you like the HD output from the camera.

David_
07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi pgeorges, I went with the ef bmcc after I decided to cancel my pocket camera order, and I made the right choice. The camera is great, and the image quality is outstanding. The raw 2.5k is spectacular, but prores is surprisingly good as well. Very sharp and detailed image. The 13 stops is fantastic, and its not too bad in low light either. Your lenses will be great with this camera. Of course there's the much talked about things to consider before buying, like external batteries, enough hdd space for backup, some kind of anti reflective screen protected or external monitor. But if you're aware of some of these going in, then you can make the best decision. I figured all these things we're needed for me even if I bought something else, because nothing is really proprietary, you can use these things with any camera system. Hope this helps.

pgeorges
07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Seems there are no wrong answers in selecting any of the four cameras. Just one last thing to consider regarding the BMPCC active MFT option: add the EF/MFT Speed Booster coming soon and you will have the same sensitivity and dynamic range and gain one stop aperture and have a range of focal lengths equivalent to full-frame views from 22.5mm to 72mm with the Speed Booster and 32mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Just the Sigma 18-35mm becomes 37mm to 72mm with Speed Booster and 52mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Those ranges may suit your needs as long as you like the HD output from the camera.

The perfect setup would have to be a BMCC with active MFT but that doesn't exist (i'm sure as soon as I buy an EF mount version it will come out)! I'm not sure I want to give up having the ability to shoot in 2.5k even if most of the time I'll be using 1080p prores.

The big question I have however is how does the rolling shutter hold up when doing a borne like fight scene using a shoulder rig? That's going to be a big part of my next two short films.

PaulDelVecchio
07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
The perfect setup would have to be a BMCC with active MFT but that doesn't exist (i'm sure as soon as I buy an EF mount version it will come out)! I'm not sure I want to give up having the ability to shoot in 2.5k even if most of the time I'll be using 1080p prores.

The big question I have however is how does the rolling shutter hold up when doing a borne like fight scene using a shoulder rig? That's going to be a big part of my next two short films.

That depends on how much you're whipping the camera around. On a shoulder rig, it'll get rid of the micro wobble jello but it won't get rid of the rolling shutter tilt on fast pans. It also depends on the zoom you're at as well. If that's a big issue, get the 4K if you can wait an unspecified amount of time (depending when they actually ship and where you are in the queue with your reseller).

pgeorges
07-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Hi pgeorges, I went with the ef bmcc after I decided to cancel my pocket camera order, and I made the right choice. The camera is great, and the image quality is outstanding. The raw 2.5k is spectacular, but prores is surprisingly good as well. Very sharp and detailed image. The 13 stops is fantastic, and its not too bad in low light either. Your lenses will be great with this camera. Of course there's the much talked about things to consider before buying, like external batteries, enough hdd space for backup, some kind of anti reflective screen protected or external monitor. But if you're aware of some of these going in, then you can make the best decision. I figured all these things we're needed for me even if I bought something else, because nothing is really proprietary, you can use these things with any camera system. Hope this helps.

I was planning on investing in a c-shooter type shoulder rig with an EVF for my C100 anyway so I'll already be part way there with the rig!

Pultzar2
07-31-2013, 03:52 PM
If you can wait, it might make sense to see how the 4K camera performs. Although it may have less sensitivity per pixel, the sensor is 2.56X times larger which may help combat the lower per-pixel sensitivity. Also if you are shooting wide, it is easier to get a fast wide angle. For example 24mm F1.4 on the 4K vs 15mm F2.8 on the 2.5K. We just don't know until we see it.

I will say that the 4K will likely have less aliasing and moire (when viewed at comparable output sizes) simple due to having over twice as many pixels.

J.F.R.
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
If you can wait, it might make sense to see how the 4K camera performs. Although it may have less sensitivity per pixel, the sensor is 2.56X times larger which may help combat the lower per-pixel sensitivity. Also if you are shooting wide, it is easier to get a fast wide angle. For example 24mm F1.4 on the 4K vs 15mm F2.8 on the 2.5K. We just don't know until we see it.

I will say that the 4K will likely have less aliasing and moire (when viewed at comparable output sizes) simple due to having over twice as many pixels.

Wide lenses has never been a problem, especially now with Speed Booster. Also no matter what they do with the 4K camera it will have less dynamic range and less iso sensitivity, that to me is more important especially dynamic range. 2.5k Raw is beautiful, no need to worry at all.

Michael Solomon
07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Haha... I almost made this exact same thread earlier today.

I think I've decided to go with an MFT and the nikon speed booster. For me personally, the dynamic range is more important and I already love the image coming out of the camera. My clients and the people watching the footage 99% of the time won't be able to tell the difference between rolling shutter and global shutter. I have no need for 4k. And lastly, who knows when the 4k will actually come out. I need a camera now and I love the image that the camera puts out. I can always sell and pick up the 4k whenever it's in stock if I really need it.

I figure with the speed booster I get pretty damn close to the S35mm FOV and get an extra stop out of my lenses.

BM4EVER
07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BM4K is going to be a killer (I hope). I'd prefer 4K and 11.5 stops, s35 and global shutter than 2.5K 13 stops.

Do you like the look of the Canon 1DC and Red One footage? They're 4K 11-11.5 stops, but no GS and the 1DC codec is a PITA for editing. Hoping for something similar with the BM4K.

reluct
07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I prefer to control my light anyway. That one stop isn't a dealbreaker for me.
Guess I'll wait some more and hope that it's going to be at least as good as
the other cameras, Hopefully it will have some more fps too.

Kholi
07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Really soon I'm going to write my one year summary on BV1... I guess the short version of it is that I'm really interested in both BPC and B4K -- BV1 is probably the most "me" camera I've ever had the pleasure of using, and owning. It's got a kink or two for sure, the more I learn about it and obsess over the details, the better it gets.

Sensor size, DR, Color, and if we're comparing it to other cameras outside of BMD's cinema ecosystem, the flexibility of formats and inexpensive media really just kind of do it for me. Not to mention there are very different looks you can pull from the camera just by changing one or two areas in your process.

Me thinks if you're one of the DVX100, 35mm Adapter enthusiasts from years ago, you're likely going to feel the same way that I do about it. It's hard to recommend it to EVERYONE, mostly because of moire (Sorry... I tried to stray away from mentioning it lol), if you're out for the best image at 10K and under, I sincerely think this is it. Especially once mosaic fixes the moire for us. Both BPC and B4K will be killer, can't wait to finally get my hands on both sometime soon...

But, BV1-MFT is where it's at.

alex1
07-31-2013, 06:49 PM
I would get the bmcc.

There is no camera under $10k that has better image quality.

J.F.R.
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
I prefer to control my light anyway. That one stop isn't a dealbreaker for me.
Guess I'll wait some more and hope that it's going to be at least as good as
the other cameras, Hopefully it will have some more fps too.

No matter how much you think you can control light you will not match the color science of 13 stops dynamic range....... You better have HMI lights and all kind of flagging and silk out there and even then your image of 11.5 stops will still be missing the subtle shades that 13 stops gives you. The only advantage I can see from the 4K model is the Global shutter.

Michael Solomon
07-31-2013, 07:43 PM
But, BV1-MFT is where it's at.

Any particular reason you haven't gone the speedbooster route?

Fluoro
07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BM4K is going to be a killer (I hope). I'd prefer 4K and 11.5 stops, s35 and global shutter than 2.5K 13 stops.

Firstly, the BMC4KK is not available yet so the question is not just two cameras versus each other but one camera that's available that has an amazing image versus one that isn't available and for which we don't know the image quality of. You dismiss the advantage of 13 stops over 11.5 stops but somehow it's really clear why 4K is such an advantage over 2.5K, and s35 over the BMCC sensor size. The fact is that the differences between the two cameras really isn't much depending on what and how you shoot. If you shoot mostly for the web and don't do much post then 4K probably isn't important. Shoot a lot of sports then Global shutter is great. Use mostly natural light then every extra stop in dynamic range makes quite a difference etc etc

You seem to want to see cameras in black and white like you're cheering on football teams. Do you even read when experienced DoPs like John Brawley or Philip Bloom talk about being camera agnostic? Or do you just shut your eyes so that you can make sweeping generalisations? I've even read you say the BMC4K "a much better camera" than the BMCC as though it's some proven fact. That is such an unwarranted claim given 4K footage has not even surfaced yet.

BTW this post is a reply not to just the comments you've made today but to many posts you've made over time including when you jumped ship to the Red One like it was the holy grail because it had 4K (how'd that work out for you?).

MysticWolf
07-31-2013, 07:48 PM
No matter how much you think you can control light you will not match the color science of 13 stops dynamic range....... You better have HMI lights and all kind of flagging and silk out there and even then your image of 11.5 stops will still be missing the subtle shades that 13 stops gives you. The only advantage I can see from the 4K model is the Global shutter.

Agreed. The extra latitude is going to be super helpful in grading, too.

Global shutter is what the BMPC is about. If you are filming sports, get the BMPC. If you want the best image possible, stick with BMCC. The camera is magic.

pgeorges
07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know if they plan on adding lossless compressed 2.5k RAW to the BMCC through a firmware update?

Kholi
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Any particular reason you haven't gone the speedbooster route?

I'm still not sure what the real value is. Just yet, anyway. Like I haven't see. Where it's useful if you have an slr 12/1.6 or even the 18-35/1.8 now. I suppose if you own Nikon or canon glass, and you don't want to she'll out for the 12/1.6 or similar then there's value it, but you still don't get a fast angel between 11 and 14 because it doesn't seem to work with the 11-16 tokina.

Maybe it'll work with the 18-35/1.8 and the rokinon 16/2?

Michael Solomon
07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm still not sure what the real value is. Just yet, anyway. Like I haven't see. Where it's useful if you have an slr 12/1.6 or even the 18-35/1.8 now. I suppose if you own Nikon or canon glass, and you don't want to she'll out for the 12/1.6 or similar then there's value it, but you still don't get a fast angel between 11 and 14 because it doesn't seem to work with the 11-16 tokina.

Maybe it'll work with the 18-35/1.8 and the rokinon 16/2?

Ah for me it was more about getting closer to the S35 FOV and being able to keep a standard lens set for whatever camera I transition to afterwards. I figured the speedbooster plus nikon rokinon 16m, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and the zeiss 50mm would keep me covered for all my focal lengths. Plus I like the rokinons just for the clickless aperture, decent quality : price ratio, and the somewhat but not really usable distance readings on the smart side of the camera for my AC's. I personally couldn't really care about the extra stop the speedbooster gives. I'm not that cruel to my AC's to ever really shoot wide open. I typically live somewhere between a 2.8 and a 5.6

Kholi
07-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Definitely. If you don't want to purchase anything wider than a 16 or that's what you have, then it makes a lot more sense. Again if the speed poster works with the 18-35/1.8 I definitely think its a good option.

Michael Solomon
07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Man.... I love that 18-35. The demo video put up today featuring it was fantastic. For me, that lens would be perfect if it had hard stops and a longer focus throw. Only two things keeping me from buying one.

PaulDelVecchio
07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
The Speedbooster obviously makes it easier to use 50's and 85's and I like the look of those lenses, particularly the 50's. It's just a bit harder to use them on the BMCC because you have to back up so much. Too bad I own an EF BMCC. :(

scorsesefan
07-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I think the c100 and the BMC EF are an awesome combo. My partner and I do documentary work and he picked up the former and myself the latter. The C100 is a great run n' gun/available light cam and the BMC produces amazing beauty shots and is ideal for sit down interviews. Since you already have a super 35 sensor with the C100 seems like a no brainer for me...

StarCoreFilms
08-01-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm still not sure what the real value is. Just yet, anyway. Like I haven't see. Where it's useful if you have an slr 12/1.6 or even the 18-35/1.8 now. I suppose if you own Nikon or canon glass, and you don't want to she'll out for the 12/1.6 or similar then there's value it, but you still don't get a fast angel between 11 and 14 because it doesn't seem to work with the 11-16 tokin

I read a post on the lenses thread where someone reported success using the 11-16mm Tokina with speedbooster. Who said it didn't work?

BM4EVER
08-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Firstly, the BMC4KK is not available yet so the question is not just two cameras versus each other but one camera that's available that has an amazing image versus one that isn't available and for which we don't know the image quality of. You dismiss the advantage of 13 stops over 11.5 stops but somehow it's really clear why 4K is such an advantage over 2.5K, and s35 over the BMCC sensor size. The fact is that the differences between the two cameras really isn't much depending on what and how you shoot. If you shoot mostly for the web and don't do much post then 4K probably isn't important. Shoot a lot of sports then Global shutter is great. Use mostly natural light then every extra stop in dynamic range makes quite a difference etc etc

You seem to want to see cameras in black and white like you're cheering on football teams. Do you even read when experienced DoPs like John Brawley or Philip Bloom talk about being camera agnostic? Or do you just shut your eyes so that you can make sweeping generalisations? I've even read you say the BMC4K "a much better camera" than the BMCC as though it's some proven fact. That is such an unwarranted claim given 4K footage has not even surfaced yet.

BTW this post is a reply not to just the comments you've made today but to many posts you've made over time including when you jumped ship to the Red One like it was the holy grail because it had 4K (how'd that work out for you?).

The Red One worked out great. We're finishing up ADR and grading atm and then will start sending the film out to festivals. I loved the look of the images; once we learnt that the camera handles skin tones much better with daylight temps than Tungsten. The Red One gave us the resolution we associate with 35mm film. Would I have preferred more DR? Sure! But coming from DSLRs and the GH2, we know to add more fill than you'd need on a higher end camera.

Having said that, I put the camera up for sale the week after shooting finished, and sold it a week later for 3 times the "4K for 4K" I paid for it. I knew that the price of the camera had peaked and would drop throughout this year as more 4K cameras came out, but I wasn't expecting BMD to announce one so early! I bet by year's end you'll be able to pick up a Red One pretty cheaply.

I'm not dismissing the 13 stops of the BMCC. I just prefer the look of 4K, and if they can get the 12 stops on the 4K cam that will be incredible. The Red One was big and bulky, with cables coming out every which way, and needed a few grand more to get up and running. But the fact that the BM4k will likely produce a look similar to it or the 1DC I think is amazing, with a small form factor, global shutter, hopefully less moire, a monitor and peaking...wow.

Sure JB is camera agnostic, Roger Deakins isn't. He doesn't like Red and won't shoot on their cameras. He loves the Alexa. Peter Jackson loves Red and wants 4K as the finishing norm. I love the work of all three of them!

The OP asked a question and I gave an answer. If JB prefers DR to resolution that's great; I personally don't find that an attack on the 4K cam at all; on the contrary, when the 4K cam drops, I think it will affect the BMCC's sales. Magic Lantern has gotten very close to the look of the BMCC that while before the hack the BMCC destroyed the 5D's video, now it's very even. And I think given the mkiii's wonderful sensor and stills, it's a better buy than the BMCC - just. So I think the BMCC may very well struggle once the 4K cam comes out. The 4K cam is in a class of its own specs/price wise.

I'm not a fanboy; I love Red, BMD and Arri products. I prefer the look of the Red One over the BMCC, but that's just me.

Fluoro
08-01-2013, 03:49 AM
@BM4EVER

I simply have no desire for more resolution than the BMCC. I find some footage from it to be too detailed if anything. The art of film is about colour and light and shadow not resolution. As for the BMC4K I'm certainly not going to get excited about a camera whose footage I have not seen yet. There's every chance that with a new sensor it might not have the same Blackmagic mojo as the BMCC. I hope it does but I'm not taking it for granted. It seems to me that many people obsess over resolution because it's something that can be measured. It's hard to talk about the colour intelligence of different cameras because it's so subjective but resolution is something anyone can point to and go "look it's got more resolution therefore it's better!!!!". I just hope the same old boring 4K arguments end when 4K is the norm. Problem is that then people will talk about how you need at least 5K in order to finish to 4K... and then 8K will be the new must have. One thing is for sure though: I'm looking forward to BMCs selling for peanuts because they are only 2.5K. It's would be nice to have another one or even two.

BM4EVER
08-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying. The BMCC is a great camera and I might very well pick one up, we'll have to wait for the 4K footage :)

Coming from photography and the 1DX, I get really excited about cameras like the Dragon, which seems to be able to shoot video like a 19MP quality DSLR can shoot a still, and that's very exciting to me.

madaspy
08-01-2013, 10:22 PM
i know i've posted a few times about canceling my 4k cam for a m43 one, but every time i look at some still images i've shot with my DSLR on my 4k screen and marvel at the clarity and sharpness I remember why i wanted the 4k camera. I wont lie, if you've never seen a 4k image/video then you don't know what you're missing. and for many that is not a bad thing. For those who have seen 4k, then it will be very very very difficult to look at 1080p.

funwithstuff
08-01-2013, 10:41 PM
i know i've posted a few times about canceling my 4k cam for a m43 one, but every time i look at some still images i've shot with my DSLR on my 4k screen and marvel at the clarity and sharpness I remember why i wanted the 4k camera. I wont lie, if you've never seen a 4k image/video then you don't know what you're missing. and for many that is not a bad thing. For those who have seen 4k, then it will be very very very difficult to look at 1080p.

This is true for you, but not many people have 4K screens yet. There's little point investing in a hugely expensive workflow when the only delivery mechanism is your own TV.

The closest most of us will get to 4K in the short to medium term will be a Retina (hi-res) screen on a laptop, which is around 2.5-2.9K across right now. Maybe the next generation will have more options though.

pgeorges
08-02-2013, 03:06 AM
The 2.5k bmcc has just been reduced to $1,995!! That kinda makes my decision for me!

BM4EVER
08-02-2013, 04:15 AM
It's a no brainer now. It's less than the pocket cam when you count the free software!

Thanks Grant!

madaspy
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
This is true for you, but not many people have 4K screens yet. There's little point investing in a hugely expensive workflow when the only delivery mechanism is your own TV.

The closest most of us will get to 4K in the short to medium term will be a Retina (hi-res) screen on a laptop, which is around 2.5-2.9K across right now. Maybe the next generation will have more options though.

I agree, with what you've said. Honestly i never though i would have a 4k tv, but 699 was hard to deny. But i guess it is all moot now that the m43 is 2k that is enough of a price difference to justify not getting the 4k

pat
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
4k Camera makes more sense if you like wide angles and the super35 look. BMCC would be the perfect camera if it didn't make all my lenses telephoto.

dregenthal
08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
The 2.5k bmcc has just been reduced to $1,995!! That kinda makes my decision for me!

Ditto.

I'm on the first day pre-order list for the Pocket camera, and I ordered my BMCC EF from Adorama earlier today (while their buyer was on the horn to BMCC to work out the details of new pricing).
Only 100 miles away, I should see my BMCCEF V1 on Monday.

I'm pumped!

alex1
08-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Ditto.

I'm on the first day pre-order list for the Pocket camera, and I ordered my BMCC EF from Adorama earlier today (while their buyer was on the horn to BMCC to work out the details of new pricing).
Only 100 miles away, I should see my BMCCEF V1 on Monday.

I'm pumped!

Congrats!

Fluoro
08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
4k Camera makes more sense if you like wide angles and the super35 look. BMCC would be the perfect camera if it didn't make all my lenses telephoto.
Good point about glass. If someone already has a glass set that's optimised for s35 then that could be a good reason to go that route. Certainly my Zeiss ZFs make much more sense on the larger sensor. My 25 f/2 would be gorgeous on one. I might sell my BMC EF and buy the MFT just so I can get some faster wide glass.

PeopleCanFly
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Well crap, I guess I would have to say I was on the edge between waiting for the Pocket or just shelling out for the BMCC EF. Why is this decision so much harder to make now? :p

randyman
08-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Now you can get both, for what you were prepared to spend on the BMCC EF. Such a deal, and all bases covered.

I've got the EF, and will add the PC for mobility. That's a powerful set of tools.

Abstrak
08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
So I need an explanation please and thank you. I'm pretty invested in Canon glass so I'm really considering the 2.5k ef model now for 2 grand its a steal. My only concern is I hear a lot of people gripe about audio issues? There is no monitoring or metering correct? How do you all work around that? Also to my understanding there is no histogramin camera? However it does have zebras is this suitable enough to expose properly? I'm trying to get an idea of the real world problems I would have to work around if I get this camera in the very very near future. Thanks

rick.lang
08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
So I need an explanation please and thank you. I'm pretty invested in Canon glass so I'm really considering the 2.5k ef model now for 2 grand its a steal. My only concern is I hear a lot of people gripe about audio issues? There is no monitoring or metering correct? How do you all work around that? Also to my understanding there is no histogramin camera? However it does have zebras is this suitable enough to expose properly? I'm trying to get an idea of the real world problems I would have to work around if I get this camera in the very very near future. Thanks

Audio is a work in progress and there is new firmware coming shortly (1.5), that may address some of the concerns. Read other threads for the details. In a nutshell, you can record in camera if you want, but don't use the internal microphone except as a scratch track for syncing. You need an external preamp like the Juiced Link BM366 made for the BMCC. Or record externally perhaps on the Zoom H6 that has audio meters.

Histograms and audio levels are not available on the BMCC at this time. Zebras and focus peaking are. Zebras can be tricky as they are not as useful as seeing the parade in RGB channels. Might be best to set zebras to 95% or even 90% to play it safe but that does reduce your dynamic range. You can use an external EVF like the Alphatron that has several display options. You can use a variety of external monitors to provide some or all the tools on a range of HD-SDI monitors such as FlandersScientific CM171 or via external WiFi feeding an iPad or various less expensive alternatives such as from SmallHD.