PDA

View Full Version : Spinning a child around

MWL
07-23-2013, 05:24 AM
I need to shoot a scene embodying happy childhood memories. One of the shots we intend to shoot is something like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveroddick/2844962450/in/faves-fotograficamentelu/

We also want to shoot the reverse shot, from the child's POV.

The project is being shot on the BMC, but we're probably not going to use it for this particular shot, more likely we'll use a 5D with 24mm lens or maybe a GoPro , although the fisheye puts me off that option.

I will shoot some tests soon, but thought I would put it out here and see if anybody has experience with this sort of shot? And any advice on rigging the camera to the actors?

Fluoro
07-23-2013, 06:10 AM
I need to shoot a scene embodying happy childhood memories. One of the shots we intend to shoot is something like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveroddick/2844962450/in/faves-fotograficamentelu/

We also want to shoot the reverse shot, from the child's POV.

The project is being shot on the BMC, but we're probably not going to use it for this particular shot, more likely we'll use a 5D with 24mm lens or maybe a GoPro
Why not use the BMCC? The Tokina 11-16 at 11mm is pretty similar to the 5d with a 24 lens. I don't like mixing cameras on a project unless you absolutely have to. As for rigging the camera I would think just using a neck strap and then using another strap that goes around the back and pulls the camera tight to the body would do the trick.

MWL
07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
I will try the Tokina. Thanks.

Fluoro
07-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry somehow missed that you want to do the reverse shot as well... That's hard if you want to get her hands in it... Go pro the only option I would think for that (Attached to the top of kid's head and just have them face down). Otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to rig the BMCC in a way it can be held by the actor as he swings it. Maybe some kind of home made fig rig...

Actually you don't need even that. Just need something with handles on either side of the BMCC that the actor can grab onto.

EDIT: except you need roughly a child's weight in the rig that the actor is holding or the movement will look weird. Maybe gopro on the child's head is the best option...

funwithstuff
07-23-2013, 08:17 AM
You can always de-fish-eye the GoPro footage if you end up using that. If you have FCP X, you can use Lock and Load to remove fisheye distortions from any GoPro mode now.

http://www.coremelt.com/reviews/news/143-lock-a-load-gopro-support.html

DISCLOSURE: I do many of the promo videos for CoreMelt, and though I didn't do this one, I did shoot the surfing section used as demo footage in the video on that page. That's right. I surfed. :)

Anyway, the fisheye removal works really well. Makes the GoPro handier for sure.

MWL
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
You can always de-fish-eye the GoPro footage if you end up using that. If you have FCP X, you can use Lock and Load to remove fisheye distortions from any GoPro mode now.

http://www.coremelt.com/reviews/news/143-lock-a-load-gopro-support.html

DISCLOSURE: I do many of the promo videos for CoreMelt, and though I didn't do this one, I did shoot the surfing section used as demo footage in the video on that page. That's right. I surfed. :)

Anyway, the fisheye removal works really well. Makes the GoPro handier for sure.

That fish-eye removal is seriously impressive! If I can rig up the BMC to shoot this, I'll strap a GoPro onto the rig anyway and use whatever ends up working best.

Joe Giambrone
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
This looks like a job for... POCKET CAM

I think you'd want to wear the thing on your chest. Plus, you'd want the kid to wear the thing,like on a helmet. Or, you could use a rig with fake kid arms.

scorsesefan
07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
"Or, you could use a rig with fake kid arms." LOL.

marsmock
07-24-2013, 02:51 AM
So I am curious, can you use the lock and load to remove fish eye on a wide lens for my BMCC EF? Say like an 8mm?

funwithstuff
07-24-2013, 04:36 AM
So I am curious, can you use the lock and load to remove fish eye on a wide lens for my BMCC EF? Say like an 8mm?

Yes. There's an "Other Camera" option with a Manual Correction slider. I don't have the Sigma 8-15mm, but please try it out and let us know if it works for you?

iammuc
07-24-2013, 07:06 AM
for the kid pov what about a trolly table, mount the BMCC on the front of it, have the kid lay on the table head over or just behind the cam and arms reached out. that way the adult can swing the kid naturaly around and your still using the BMCC. obviously wont work on grass haha, and you might have to have someone running along side incase the table flips and bursts into flames cause your spinning so damn fast.