PDA

View Full Version : previews arriving from John Brawley tomorrow?

Carlos Huerta
07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
A few moments ago, i saw this tweet from JB

John Brawley ‏@brawlster

The final shot of #pubertyblues final episode shot today with #BlackmagicCinemaCamera

And I did a little research about Puberty Blues and i came up with this tweet From Michael Lucas

Michael Lucas ‏@MrMichaelLucas

Tonight, before #Offspring: a sneak preview of #PubertyBlues. Sincerely hoping to hear "Freda ya slack-assed mole!" Fear I'll have to wait.

So I asked JB via twitter if we're getting some images of the BMC In that Sneak Preview and this is what he said

John Brawley ‏@brawlster

@CarlosHuerta I know there's a promo. I haven't seen it so there may well be !

The show is airing in australia on July 4th at 8:30pm, this is around 2-4am in North America i think

I really hope we get at least a glimpse of new images from the camera, i saw in the production pictures a Canon C300, then it will be kind of difficult to tell wich images are from the BMC (this should be good) so we should keep track of the show and post the link if we get to see them online

The BMC era is coming!! Can't wait!!

RyGuy
07-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Hey thats in an hour and a half for me in Hawaii :)

funwithstuff
07-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Afraid there are no shots from the BMCC in the (good looking) promo, which is now live and linked from John's blog:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com

Matthew Bennett
07-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Great looking photography! The tanned, deep tones of the skin were really lovely.

JIKIJI
07-04-2012, 09:15 AM
what kind of news is this, he used the BMC to shoot some scenes but none of these scenes are in the promo :(

stip
07-04-2012, 09:40 AM
another false alarm :)

Carlos Huerta
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I know, for the things JB said to me maybe he didn't know about BMC Images not being in the clip, anyways the BMC is being used along with the Canon C300 and the ARRI Alexa and that is good news

JIKIJI
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
I know, for the things JB said to me maybe he didn't know about BMC Images not being in the clip, anyways the BMC is being used along with the Canon C300 and the ARRI Alexa and that is good news

its not good news until we see the footage from the BMC!

Sri
07-04-2012, 02:36 PM
patience...patience...patience...patience......... :-)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
In the comments section, JB posted the following. Sounds like the BMCC intercuts very well with the Alexa, better than the C300.
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/puberty-blues-first-promo/#comments

===========
johnbrawley says:

July 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

In early pre we tested the C300 and the Alexa pretty heavily. In the end we decided to use the C300 sparingly, mainly because the DR didn’t match as well and we found that there wasn’t as much “bending” room in the grade, mostly because of the codec with the canon being still fairly compressed. Our conditions were going to be tough in terms of contrast. Australian sun and beach isn’t very forgiving. We decided to try and use the C300 wholly within a scene if we decided it was the right camera for that scene. So if we used it, it wouldn’t be so much for intercutting with Alexa, but for sequences where it would be the only camera. That way, you’re not trying to match it to something.

Setup director Gelndyn Ivin and I decided to try and use it sparingly. It did mean however, that we could simply give a camera to our second unit / surf director, and he often could shoot little sequences by himself, without having to wrangle an Alexa. That would have required him to have an operator and probably an assistant.

The BMCC was used more and more towards the end of the shoot as the ea[rl]y version didn’t even shoot 25 FPS. I haven’t done the same kind of “direct” testing, but so far, it intercuts with the Alexa footage really nicely. We’ve used it within Alexa shot scenes as a third camera. I’d often get my focus puller to operate it while I flew solo for hand held shots. More often than not the so called third camera bonus shot is getting used.

jb

===========

nickjbedford
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Good news :) JB has already jokingly called it the baby Alexa.

stip
07-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Great, it seems like the early samples did show the direction BMC would head to - finally an affordable digital camera that doesn't look video. The FS700 looks plenty videoish, C300 and RED are better but still have their own digital signature. For the sake of true romance, I hope a lot of wedding videographers will switch to BMC ;) Now get that footage online!

clairstyler
07-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Great, it seems like the early samples did show the direction BMC would head to - finally an affordable digital camera that doesn't look video. The FS700 looks plenty videoish, C300 and RED are better but still have their own digital signature. For the sake of true romance, I hope a lot of wedding videographers will switch to BMC ;) Now get that footage online!

Yeah I think its showtime for the black magic cine cam stuff right now! Do you guys think that it will be released on time, at the end of july? ProRes HQ baby!

RyGuy
07-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah I think its showtime for the black magic cine cam stuff right now! Do you guys think that it will be released on time, at the end of july? ProRes HQ baby!

A rep said that they were TRYING to get some footage out this week, so we can hope. As long as I see footage before my credit card gets charged I'm all good haha!

funwithstuff
07-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Well, I'd like to think that because of the benefits for shooting in the harsh Australian environment, Blackmagic should definitely be prioritising early shipments up here to Brisbane. Then Nick and I can get them first. :)

thegregferris
07-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Well, I'd like to think that because of the benefits for shooting in the harsh Australian environment, Blackmagic should definitely be prioritising early shipments up here to Brisbane. Then Nick and I can get them first. :)

You mean after I get mine in Sydney?

Grug
07-06-2012, 04:08 AM
You mean after I get mine in Sydney?

Well they're based in Melbourne, so in the interests of efficiency, surely I should get mine first.

Fluoro
07-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Are they being made in Melbourne? Does anyone know?

Vincent Thomas
07-06-2012, 05:34 AM
So It has been 2 months now since we haven't got any news ... Im still hesitating if i should keep or not my preorder or switch to the F700... When are we finally going to see more video sample?

vincent*

______________________________ ____________________________
Vincent Thomas
http://www.stranger-than- paradise.book.fr/
http://www.imdb.com/name/ nm0859628/

Grug
07-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Are they being made in Melbourne? Does anyone know?

No idea, I remember reading a post or article somewhere on the web that mentioned that the actual manufacturing would take place here in Oz. But it was only one source and I haven't come across that same information anywhere else on the web.

Blackmagic here in Melbourne are a lot less forthcoming than their US office (judging from the responses to questions I've received, versus the sorts of answers people have posted up on here from Blackmagic US).