PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Speedgrade and Premiere CC workflow tips.

Eric Hasso
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I cant get Speedgrade to make the DNGs look like they shoold, you know, how they look in Adobe raw reader.
And I can't find any bmd rec709 luts in premiere.

How do you solve it all?

Brad Ferrell
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
download resolve lite?

Eric Hasso
06-18-2013, 02:25 PM
download resolve lite?

I have it, and its off topic.

Brad Ferrell
06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
its off-topic on a Blackmagic Forum? hmmm. not many speedgrade users here. try an adobe forum.

Eric Hasso
06-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Come on, post production is general filmmaking is it not?
(And yeah, read the topic)

Christopher Barry
06-19-2013, 12:08 AM
I can not help with your request for a BMD Premiere LUT. I am waiting on BMPCC, so no RAW in my workflow yet. I prefer to correct and grade in Premiere, that is just my preference for now, hoping SG becomes more of a plugin to PP in the future, not the round trip currently. What is interesting is the new Lumetri effect under PP's Color Correction effects tab. I use Curves and Colorista II for my current workflow, now looking to build more SG 'looks' and apply to PP via an adjustment layer. Have a look at this video for the idea and workflow possibility if you want to remain in PP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZX13WgJDmc

Christopher Barry
06-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Eric, further to my post, above, if you have a suitable SG LUT loaded as part of the SG effects stack, you may be able to embed it in a 'look' file you create, then load that 'look' into PP using Lumetri, position it in your PP effects stack or adjustment layer, together with other effects you may use to colour correct and grade. Just ideas, not tested this yet, since Lumetri only became available to me as part of a Creative Cloud update from yesterday, and this is all new to me, as is SG. Perhaps a range of '.look' files will be shared moving forward, together with the files that can be purchased now.

Eric Hasso
06-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanx, I do hope that speedgrade will work as the workflow works with after effects or at least Audition.

Going to try the "match shot tool" and see if it can match the green DNGs to proper DNGs by showing it a photoshoped DNG to jpg.

Christopher Barry
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Eric, Hook's BMDFilm LUT in .cube format can be loaded into Premiere CC via Lumetri, or you can drop Hook's .cube file into the SG's app sub-folder (Adobe > Speed Grade CC > Lumetri > LUTs) for the PC version. In SG, when the Looks tab is selected for colour work, the LUT can then be added via "+" on the bottom left, select LUT and you'll find Hook's LUT in the list, together with all the other LUTs that ship with SG.
http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?3390-My-BMDFilm-LUT

Brad Ferrell
06-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Come on, post production is general filmmaking is it not?
(And yeah, read the topic)

I would put it in workflow if it was my decision. I did read the topic. I'm not trolling. I was solely an adobe user since 1994. After using Resolve in my workflow for a year now, I can't get over the real-time feedback. I tried SpeedGrade but the tools in Resolve I found easier to use with much better results. Just trying to help, but if you're stuck on using SpeedGrade go for it. Just trying to help.

Brad Ferrell
06-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I guess one workflow would be SG first light and proxies, then PP for NLE, then back to SG for final color, then back to PP for finishing.

Christopher Barry
06-19-2013, 03:48 PM
In my previous post, I referenced loading a LUT file into PP CC via Lumetri. While you may load LUT files via Lumetri, please note that the result varies between SG CC and PP CC, so this may not be an ideal method or correct optional method to load a LUT into PP CC. More testing after I finished some paid work.

Eric Hasso
06-20-2013, 03:33 AM
I would put it in workflow if it was my decision. I did read the topic. I'm not trolling. I was solely an adobe user since 1994. After using Resolve in my workflow for a year now, I can't get over the real-time feedback. I tried SpeedGrade but the tools in Resolve I found easier to use with much better results. Just trying to help, but if you're stuck on using SpeedGrade go for it. Just trying to help.

I love Resolve for your reasons but I want to give Speedgrade CC a full chance of competing with resolve.