PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 5600k balanced light for this scene

Boon
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
As a newbie in camera/lighting, I would really need some help here. I'm shooting on BMCC and will grade in Resolve
I've attached an example scene below. It's a interior night scene.
For the attached scene, can I use 5600k daylight balanced light only and then warm up the colour in post? Will it look any different if I gel it with CTO instead.
Basically, I set the white balance in BMCC to 5600K and uses 5600K balanced lighting and later warm it up in Resolve.

Adam Roberts
06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
It all depends on the colour temperature of the practical lights in the scene. If they are tungstan balanced then it would be better to use a Full CTO or a Half CTO to warm up the 5600K light.

If you only warm up your shot in post any of the tungsten lights in the scene would be come warmer and cause a red cast.

Boon
06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the advice.
- So if I don't have any practical in the shot, I should be fine with using daylight balanced light, set BMCC to 5600k and warm up the shot in Resolve. I'll be shooting RAW.
- If I've a practical light, can I just replace the practical tungsten bulb with a daylight balance bulb, or perhaps just gel the tungsten bulb with a CTB.

Adam Roberts
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah thats that the idea.

If all your light in the scene (reflected, ambiant, etc) is the same temperature you'll have no issues warming the scene up in post.